HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread V [consolidated]

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread V [consolidated]

This thread is meant for all powered speaker discussions.

The older thread is here:

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...D-5755750.html

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...tup-42019.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

anyone here placing your speakers upside down?
icecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

What u mean by upside down

Like mission speakers?
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #4

yup, except that it's not designed to be like that
icecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 AM   #5

Swan M50W vs M80W

Anyone one listen or owned swan M80W ? Any feedbacks?

Have been using m50w for around 8 years, want an upgrade therefore considering swan m80w. Or anyone could recommend other system?

Last edited by benyap90; 08-07-2019 at 01:02 AM..
benyap90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

I was doing some listening at luthermusic for my next speakers and intently listened to the popular LSR305 and its new 305P with great interest. the older 305 is now at an amazing price btw, that got me interested further.

BUT, man.. the LSR305 really cannot be compared to the other speakers I'm listening it to, the adam a5x. I really want to get off the whole audiophile thing (spent $3500 on the focal solo 6 and sold it recently) and get some nice and cheap 5 inch speakers for my pc.

But really, LSR305 is no fight for adam a5x.

But I have to say. the positioning of the speakers is very very disadvantageous for LSR305 as it is rear ported, while adam is front ported. so that can be a reason for their outrageous difference.

Also given, the adam a5x is more than twice the price of lsr305 so you can't really compare them together, but the difference is significant enough for me to want to spend more than twice the money to get adam a5x. My focal solo 6 is definitely better than the adam a5x as well, but for three times the price of a5x, my previous focal is probably only 1.5 times as good.

Last edited by yunie_; 30-07-2019 at 12:55 PM..
yunie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:06 AM   #7

Anywhere to try the jbl LSR310S? Luthermusic does not have subwoofers in store (non-live).
lucied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #8

Klipsch

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R-51P.../dp/B07FKCP7PZ.

Thoughts on this option please.

Might get the subwoofer later.

To be used primarily as a TV speaker,
Needmysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:23 AM   #9

Actually am sure an AV receiver with passive speakers would offer more tuning and adjustments. I dunno about this klipsch. But I found dialogue hard to hear when I had my denon m40 system connected to the TV. Not sure if it's just the m40 though. The sc m40 passive speakers were better for tv once I connected it to the used av receiver I got from carousell. Now very happy after upgrading front speakers to mission lx2. So much that I can tweak and play with now. Sometimes u can find used av receiver with 5.1 satellite speakers with subwoofer for under $300. Make sure its not too old and that it comes with hdmi arc so u can switch it on with just one tv remote. Also make sure it comes with setup microphone so it can tune itself to sound better for your room. Only concern is av receivers take up a fair bit of space and need ventilation.

Last edited by benedium; 10-08-2019 at 02:30 AM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
High Supremacy Member

I was doing some listening at luthermusic for my next speakers and intently listened to the popular LSR305 and its new 305P with great interest. the older 305 is now at an amazing price btw, that got me interested further.

BUT, man.. the LSR305 really cannot be compared to the other speakers I'm listening it to, the adam a5x. I really want to get off the whole audiophile thing (spent $3500 on the focal solo 6 and sold it recently) and get some nice and cheap 5 inch speakers for my pc.

But really, LSR305 is no fight for adam a5x.

But I have to say. the positioning of the speakers is very very disadvantageous for LSR305 as it is rear ported, while adam is front ported. so that can be a reason for their outrageous difference.

Also given, the adam a5x is more than twice the price of lsr305 so you can't really compare them together, but the difference is significant enough for me to want to spend more than twice the money to get adam a5x. My focal solo 6 is definitely better than the adam a5x as well, but for three times the price of a5x, my previous focal is probably only 1.5 times as good.
Coincidentally i have used both A5X and LS305... definitely cant fight at least on the price front with 305 @ $299 (White) and A5X easily 3-4 times the price a pair. The A5X is built like a tank although 305 is no slough either.

In any case i'm shifting to soundbar to reduce the clutter and cables on my desk and letting go my 305 for $220 today
koroshiya8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #11

Actually am sure an AV receiver with passive speakers would offer more tuning and adjustments. I dunno about this klipsch. But I found dialogue hard to hear when I had my denon m40 system connected to the TV. Not sure if it's just the m40 though. The sc m40 passive speakers were better for tv once I connected it to the used av receiver I got from carousell. Now very happy after upgrading front speakers to mission lx2. So much that I can tweak and play with now. Sometimes u can find used av receiver with 5.1 satellite speakers with subwoofer for under $300. Make sure its not too old and that it comes with hdmi arc so u can switch it on with just one tv remote. Also make sure it comes with setup microphone so it can tune itself to sound better for your room. Only concern is av receivers take up a fair bit of space and need ventilation.
Thanks for input

My connection would be Mac Pro > cheap DAC ( Nuforce udac ) > speaker.

( I dont subscribe to TV programming and will be playing video files \ youtube )

Used similar config with Audioengine A5 and later with the Dynaudio Xeo 3.

Im technically challenged hence have never looked at Passives
Needmysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #12

Oh yah for PC, active speaker is probably perfect.
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #13

Hi guys, I have an old 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers but the woofer died.
So now I'm left with a pair of working speakers.

Can I purchase a DAC and connect these 2 speakers to create a 2.0 speaker system?
How do I connect the speakers into these audio point?
ki113r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #14
High Supremacy Member

Hi guys, I have an old 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers but the woofer died.
So now I'm left with a pair of working speakers.

Can I purchase a DAC and connect these 2 speakers to create a 2.0 speaker system?
How do I connect the speakers into these audio point?
The two speaker are very hard to savage
And usually works with the intended amp inside the sub.
Rather get a new speaker.
If tight on budget, can consider Logitech speakers.
ki113r likes this.
techidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

If the satellites have RCA connectors you may be able to connect to headphone-out of your soundcard

You can buy a $20 amp but really, these satellites don't sound good without their subwoofer, so just buy a new 2.1
ki113r likes this.
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.