HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

5.1 atmos setup

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #31

Just some friendly advise spent that $800.00 on a pair of bookshelf speakers and slowly upgrade from there....is a better investment than one shot 5.1 satellites...
I think TS has decided on the amp. Iíll sit back and I hope he posts on what was the actual total spent on speakers. I havenít heard too many brand new 5.1 setups that sound good and give an enveloping experience.
You learn something new each day 👍
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #32

I think TS has decided on the amp. I’ll sit back and I hope he posts on what was the actual total spent on speakers. I haven’t heard too many brand new 5.1 setups that sound good and give an enveloping experience.
You learn something new each day ******************
Ya man bro....if i in his shoes 2k budget i would get a decent integrated amp like cambridge audio AXA35 with a decent bookshelf wharfedale, yamaha or Qacoustics price at maybe $700-800 is 2.0 but that will sound even better than a 5.1 using cheap satellites....then when i had more budget then got a centre channel and back surround then add a AVR then still use the integrated amp to drive my front channels
Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #33

To TS
We arenít a couple of snobs .. please understand Iíve done the entry level setup before and I soon outgrew it, and ended up spending a lot more.
The amp is an overkill IMO
Youíll get more benefit from a better 5.1 setup. Like I said the sub and center underpin the surround experience. YMMV of course
patryn33 likes this.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #34

i agree. i been to adephi almost everyweek for 2 to 3months before i get my system.
in the end i spend on 5.1.2 satellite speakers. total cost is more than 5k including avr. cable not included.

To TS
We aren’t a couple of snobs .. please understand I’ve done the entry level setup before and I soon outgrew it, and ended up spending a lot more.
The amp is an overkill IMO
You’ll get more benefit from a better 5.1 setup. Like I said the sub and center underpin the surround experience. YMMV of course
loster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #35
Arch-Supremacy Member

For 2nd hand got

Dali Zensor 5.1 - http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...topic=293677.0 - $900
mulderfox likes this.
reno77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:10 AM   #36

Don't forget to add ac infinity T10 (front exhaust) or T8 (rear exhaust) or T9 (top exhaust) cooling fan system to keep your av receiver healthy and performing well. Heat is bad for electronics. Price is about $229. Ordered mine from Lazada. Local dealer fast delivery. Wish I got it before I got my receiver and subjected it to such heat for months.

Last edited by benedium; 12-02-2020 at 12:12 AM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:32 AM   #37

Don't forget to add ac infinity T10 (front exhaust) or T8 (rear exhaust) or T9 (top exhaust) cooling fan system to keep your av receiver healthy and performing well. Heat is bad for electronics. Price is about $229. Ordered mine from Lazada. Local dealer fast delivery. Wish I got it before I got my receiver and subjected it to such heat for months.
Thatís more than 10% of his allocated budget .. I donít think itís within his budget
Old 12-02-2020, 02:39 AM   #38

Oh I see... well then can just make a cheap one from some laptop cooling tray heheh.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:31 AM   #39
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh I see... well then can just make a cheap one from some laptop cooling tray heheh.
this is some nice stuff, I don't have AVR breaking.. mine is cheap AVR. when I do invest later this year for a arcam. Then getting this make sense.
patryn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #40

this is some nice stuff, I don't have AVR breaking.. mine is cheap AVR. when I do invest later this year for a arcam. Then getting this make sense.
Thanks but this is deviating from the subject. I am more interested in the system and not in a cooling solution. Plus, I am sure I can get a pretty cheap and dirty solution for that on AliExpress, If I choose to.
mulderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #41

Wa....i didn't brought those as i think aircon should be good enough i on my aircon whenever my system were on....my previous SR7007 used 6 years sold it with no issue buyer was happy about it as i mainly will vaccum the dust on top cover.......
Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks but this is deviating from the subject. I am more interested in the system and not in a cooling solution. Plus, I am sure I can get a pretty cheap and dirty solution for that on AliExpress, If I choose to.
I donít think u are interested in the proposal from ppl here. If u set in doing what you want. I think we can close the thread. If you have question I am not find it for ppl to to comment and help.

Many ppl asking u to do the following
- spend within budget for 2 speakers
- get used setup
- invest in better 5.1 setup if u must want small foot print
- test things out to make sure what u getting into with small foot print.

Did I miss anything here?
Amon86 likes this.
patryn33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #43

I donít think u are interested in the proposal from ppl here. If u set in doing what you want. I think we can close the thread. If you have question I am not find it for ppl to to comment and help.

Many ppl asking u to do the following
- spend within budget for 2 speakers
- get used setup
- invest in better 5.1 setup if u must want small foot print
- test things out to make sure what u getting into with small foot print.

Did I miss anything here?
I am considering used setup. but if I take, for instance, the Wharfedale DX-2 set, it'll be within budget and still give me a surround solution.
Offering a 2 speakers setup misses the purpose for me.
Going over budget is not really an option since this is meant for a move to a new HDB so there will be plenty of expenses.
I am thankful for relevant suggestions - as in, within budget, and according to my requested guidelines.
mulderfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #44

I watched an audioholics video that said badly executed atmos can spoil good 5.1
Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #45

Ok just in case u dunno... lazada price of good enough bookshelf speaker is about $299 per pair. We are talking about whathifi 5star options like q acoustics 3020 or wharfedale diamond 220/225. Subwoofer options include wharfedale wh-s8e ($199) or wh-s10e ($299). Actually these days with the very cheap prices listed online, its quite pointless to buy 2nd hand. please check prices online first.

Bookshelf speakers enjoy better economy of scale because majority of people buy them. You can see that from the number of reviews across major publications and websites. If you buy satellite speakers, you wont enjoy much savings but will suffer alot in sound quality. You will want to get at least Left, Right and Center speakers in bookshelf size. If you die die want to get satellites u can use them for the rear surrounds. But the economy of scale for bookshelf speakers means u can get same bookshelf for rears also.

Seriously lah. Hope my longwinded explanation can help you understand better. Bundle prices for 5.1 satelllites are not that much cheaper anyway if you check the real prices of popular bookshelf speakers these days.

Also why you wanna get marantz av receiver if u are only going to use with satellite speakers? I only upgraded my av receiver to denon X3600 because i thought my mission lx2 speakers were a little fussy with power. I am not expert so not sure. But i think receiver should match speaker choice.

K... thats all i have to say.

Last edited by benedium; 12-02-2020 at 08:37 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.