HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #151

Everytime u move or add speakers or subwoofer, or adjust knobs on subwoofer, you need to rerun the auto calibration software. Even if u move or add furniture that changes the sound (direct from speakers or reflected from walls) that arrives on the calibration mic or your ears
If my living room windows right by my TV setup then will also affect calibration right. Should windows be closed or open then? Sometimes open windows to watch tv cus cooling
crinkypeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #152

I also mostly have windows or door open for cooling. I dunno about the ambient sounds at your neighbourhood but mine is very noisy. Using a free sound analyser app on my smartphone I measured up to 58/60db +/-comprising mostly of car, bike and bus engine sounds. When I do calibration I close all windows and doors and turn off all fans. Even with doors closed sometimes some noisy bike or lorry will drive by and I have to redo that round of calibration. It's annoying. I am tempted to move because of this.

Oh this is another reason why u need a better avr. To play sounds loud enough above the ambient noise level, u need good quality power for some speakers.

Last edited by benedium; 29-12-2020 at 05:44 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #153

I suspect cheaper speakers would be better for noisy environments while expensive speakers better for controlled quieter environment. So dont bother getting too good a speaker. Haha.
Old 29-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #154
Arch-Supremacy Member

Oh so the configuration is done on the avr side, same software as the room eq? E.g Audessy
Yups .. same one, AccuEQ for Onkyo. You choose what speaker you've setup, It generates white noise on each speaker that lasts about 10secs x 2 times on each speaker and then it does its adjustments.
reno77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #155

What is the current setup you are running?
Most frequently used is my desk setup. Running a front and back firing setup (top left black spk not in use) with Dali, Focal speakers, Yamaha stereo amp and Definitive Tech sub.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/1...25-post17.html

Have another 2.1 setup with my TV using Cambridge audio stereo amp and Dali bookshelves.

Played with avr for a bit, but not prepared to deal with the clutter and expense of surround speakers, so didn't bother.
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 07:45 PM   #156

TS, I noticed you are going for a 4K Xiaomi TV? Then your AVR need to be able to pass through 4K signal as well if you intend to watch 4K shows and let TV to do the picture processing. If not then AVR will do the picture processing or if you are going with a Blu-ray player, then the player can do the processing. What is your video source?
Haman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #157

Sorry for interrupting again...
But I just noticed that comparing 2 jbl speakers
jbl stage a130 is rated as 6ohm and jbl arena a130 as 8ohm. Stage series costs more than Arena series. So maybe stage 6ohm speakers need better amplifier and arena series 8ohm can use entry level amplifier? Maybe TS can check against whatever speakers you wanna buy in this area. 8ohm speakers may suit entry level avr better.

Last edited by benedium; 29-12-2020 at 09:53 PM..
Old 29-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #158
High Supremacy Member

I hear helicopters overhead with just 5 speakers. Especially cos I'm so near the back wall and my rear speaker tweeters about a foot above ear level. I believe this is because the subwoofer is the one that fills entire room with bass and the speakers provide more directional details. I think bass is the element that creates the surround effect. That's why die die must have subwoofer I think. Rear/surround speakers u can add later if u finally decide. No hurry there.

Also I think in small flats with low ceilings the ground level speakers produce so much reflections that they will overwhelm ceiling speakers. Maybe in a anechoic sound absorbent chamber, then ceiling speakers would have more impact.
I see, yea sounds like the sub is very important then. Yea HDB flats all so small not worth setting up these kind of in ceiling speakers

Oh so the configuration is done on the avr side, same software as the room eq? E.g Audessy
It's the 5 speaker that create the surround sound not the subwoofer.
Depending on type of speaker, bass can come from Bookshelf speaker
but if use floorstanding sub is to enhance low frequency response.

As well as take note depending on the source, if stereo sound
from Youtube, Spotify sub will not be used by the AVR.
Please do not mistaken that sub will be used all the time in a AVR setup
unlike 2.1 speaker or soundbar where sub are used all the time.

EQ software differs from brand to brand.
PS I am here just to share some info, if you don't like my advice or myself
please do not quote this post or reply back to me.

Last edited by techidiot; 29-12-2020 at 10:09 PM..
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 10:10 PM   #159

Ok boss. Thank you sir.

Last edited by benedium; 29-12-2020 at 10:17 PM..
Old 29-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #160

Think TS if I were u I will just buy jbl stage a120 first. Then nextime can buy a130 and move a120 to the rear heheh.
Old 29-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #161
High Supremacy Member

Still think BS22 is the best for budget

Maybe can wait for it to appear on amazon.sg again

Although in terms of availability, A120 is available now for SGD$199, meanwhile the lowest for BS22 is SGD$172 on amazon.sg but who knows when it will be available again.

Well too bad XM7 @ $149 is already not available. Gut feeling tho is you might need EQ for those since they are designed to work with X7 which has a special EQ setting for XM7.

Last edited by wwenze; 29-12-2020 at 10:59 PM..
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #162
Arch-Supremacy Member

Everytime u move or add speakers or subwoofer, or adjust knobs on subwoofer, you need to rerun the auto calibration software. Even if u move or add furniture that changes the sound (direct from speakers or reflected from walls) that arrives on the calibration mic or your ears
This brings to the point where and how many ppl sits may also affect sound no?
But during EQ most of the suggestions are do not sit in room but when one is watching u sit there. If have many BBFA in room wouldn’t that affect sound just as much?
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #163

This brings to the point where and how many ppl sits may also affect sound no?
But during EQ most of the suggestions are do not sit in room but when one is watching u sit there. If have many BBFA in room wouldn’t that affect sound just as much?
Yes it does I think. I actually find I have to turn my volume up higher whenever I have guests. Maybe human body absorbs up alot of reflected sounds. Guess can make a human body lined anechoic chamber haha.
Old 29-12-2020, 11:42 PM   #164

As well as take note depending on the source, if stereo sound
from Youtube, Spotify sub will not be used by the AVR.
Please do not mistaken that sub will be used all the time in a AVR setup
unlike 2.1 speaker or soundbar where sub are used all the time.

EQ software differs from brand to brand.
PS I am here just to share some info, if you don't like my advice or myself
please do not quote this post or reply back to me.
Good point. For example for x550bt, for when playing stereo sources, need to set LFE+Main mode and speaker should be 'Small', so that bass frequencies routed to sub.
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX550BT/E...WBSPMLhpwvqjjp

One other thing though, probably of concern to @crinkypeanut, x550bt is not using Audyssey, is using their own calibration software, not sure how good it is.

*edit: sorry not quite sure whether x550bt has audyssey or something else, since they're not using the audyssey name.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX550BT/E...SYtghbzabi.php
wwenze likes this.

Last edited by lxXXxl; 30-12-2020 at 12:23 AM..
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 12:47 AM   #165

Ah crap maybe another one of my mistakes. Sorry TS and everyone.

Also I thought as long as speakers are set to small, crossover setting (eg.80hz) will send all lower frequencies to subwoofer. Pretty sure my subwoofer outputs sounds when I play spotify in Stereo sound mode. Only direct mode and pure direct mode leaves subwoofer silent and sends full range of frequencies to speakers.

My Bass setting is only LFE not LFE+Mains. This is the Denon default setting and also what is recommended on forums I read before. As far as I understood, if u select LFE+Mains then full range of frequencies will be sent to speakers (including everything below crossover setting) and only low frequencies will be sent to subwoofer. This setting is more for adjusting bass frequencies sent to speakers rather than to subwoofer.

Maybe techidiot should explain further since he may know something more than others with his 10yrs experience as av technician. Must be nice to feel so confident all the time.

Last edited by benedium; 30-12-2020 at 02:07 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.