55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
After watching TV with whatever content are you happy with just the speakers?
Pioneer SP-C22 By Andrew Jones has great reviews. I think they discontinued.

Honestly, I am already quite happy with what I have, thought that since I saw a good price for the Pioneer centre I might as well spend one shot and then don't have to think about it in the future already hahaha

Recommend to get a Sony SS-CS8 center as Pioneer and Sony sound signature are different.
However Pioneer Andrew Jones have discontinue so another reason
to get the Sony one instead.

Sub wise, I have no recommendation best let other recommend.
What I'm using is Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 set, the sub is also Pioneer.

I also told him make sure get same series and brand of center speaker already. Maybe he forgot. Sound signature different will sound very uncomfortable, especially for front 3 speakers.

Other than that, also remember save for bigger subwoofer that can go down to around 20hz. Save for now rather than get something that u regret later. Sorry if I seem naggy heheh.

The Sony Centre is on 2 month pre order last I called to check. It also costs more than what I got my floorstanding speakers for :s13: I saw some reviews that weren't too stellar and I thought I might as well get a better one for cheaper. Mixing wise, not sure how that might turn out honestly.

for ppl who tried them can share difference in sound signature?

Can TS discern? other threads ppl just mix and match from donated speakers dont seem to ID sound signature stuff from the rojak.

Yea that's the question, not sure whether I'll able to discern

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
OpoEhB5

Well here it is!
Edit: dk why it's not showing but here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/OpoEhB5

You meet up with TS:eek:

Yup. We went to adelphi and audiohouse and I did my usual long winded sharing of my own personal experience haha.

I guess we had a little outing just to see what was available and test out some speakers. Unfortunately we went on a Sunday and almost all the stores were closed at Adelphi :s13:

Some people not just TS, don't feel justify to spend money on certain stuff.
Example AVR with speaker, to some they think cheap speaker
should do the job just fine.

However AVR with speaker can be quite expensive similar with a PC.
Gaming PC cost few thousand dollar especially but there are some
not willing to spend so much.

If can get under thousand that would be better.

I would much rather drop a few thousand on a PC just cus that's my main interest :s13: But for speakers , I'm not that into it to spend this much at such an early stage

Eh crinkypeanut, just curious... did u do the YPAO room correction and all that? Share abit more leh.

Yes I did. I spent 4 -5 hours going through all the individual settings and reading through the receiver manual. But honestly abit headache :s22: From scenes to which surround program e.g dts neo, neo 6, surround, concert etc. Really hurt my brain after taking in so much info. Though I managed to find some interesting information. I have 2 spare speakers from my mother's CD player set and I saw in the manual that it's possible to run a 5.1 setup with Yamaha's "Virtual Cinema Front", instead of using rear speakers you just put them in the front

9007203030718603__en-US__Original.png

I might consider just using them in this way since I have no space behind my sofa because it's against the rear wall. Though, they recommend the surrounds to the sides of the front 2 but I can't exactly fit them there might have to keep them in the middle but I wonder how that might work out. I certainly don't want to use the old speakers as the fronts and the floorstanding ones as surrounds :s13:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"Virtual rear" has long been done by altering the phase of the sound. It was audible in an FPS that I last played... 10 years ago. And that was using stereo speakers.

However knowing it's Yamaha, they may include beamforming technology that is famously used in their soundbars...

So one of two things can happen, and you should test it:

1) Only one speaker is used for one virtual rear speaker
2) Multiple speakers are used to create one virtual rear speaker

And you can easily test it by checking whether sound is coming from the other speakers while you play a test track and only the rear speaker is being played.

If case (1), you can put the rear speaker anywhere you want
If case (2), it is recommended to follow Yamaha's manual

ADD: Also, if your rear speakers are of a way lower quality than your front, I would just use the front speakers and see what virtual speakers features the AVR can enable with a 2.1 system.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OpoEhB5

Well here it is!
Edit: dk why it's not showing but here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/OpoEhB5

Yes I did. I spent 4 -5 hours going through all the individual settings and reading through the receiver manual. But honestly abit headache :s22: From scenes to which surround program e.g dts neo, neo 6, surround, concert etc. Really hurt my brain after taking in so much info. Though I managed to find some interesting information. I have 2 spare speakers from my mother's CD player set and I saw in the manual that it's possible to run a 5.1 setup with Yamaha's "Virtual Cinema Front", instead of using rear speakers you just put them in the front

9007203030718603__en-US__Original.png

I might consider just using them in this way since I have no space behind my sofa because it's against the rear wall. Though, they recommend the surrounds to the sides of the front 2 but I can't exactly fit them there might have to keep them in the middle but I wonder how that might work out. I certainly don't want to use the old speakers as the fronts and the floorstanding ones as surrounds :s13:

It's very simple how AVR works.
Depend on source it plays, example Stereo source.
Left and right speaker will have sound.

the Effects like DTS Neo 6 etc. are basically upmix but
these are useful if you are using 5 speakers to create a surround
effect from stereo.

I hardly use effects as it doesn't make the original source
sound that nice.
I won't recommend putting all speakers in front,
it defeat the purpose as well as not accurate.

If you don't have space than just use three speakers.
Later down the road when you have budget than
get a contractor lay wires for the rear speaker.

The rear speaker are for surround as well as positional effect.
Example in a gun fight, if someone shoots from you from the back
you can hear from the back.

If you put every speaker in front, it does not sound accurate.
The virtual rear speaker won't be that accurate for 5.1 tracks
but you can try.

petetherock

Reaction score
This thread should serve as an example to newbies entering the surround and HT hobby as a good example of how NOT to do things.

Remember the fundamentals:
- learn the terms
- learn what each speaker does
- learn how to audition
- learn how to allocate your budget
- learn how to position your speakers
- learn how to calibrate

That's the right way. Enough said now, but this thread is a good learning one for others to learn what not to follow.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
The Sony Centre is on 2 month pre order last I called to check. It also costs more than what I got my floorstanding speakers for :s13: I saw some reviews that weren't too stellar and I thought I might as well get a better one for cheaper. Mixing wise, not sure how that might turn out honestly.

Yea that's the question, not sure whether I'll able to discern

This is the very reason why I told u to consider future center speaker purchase when choosing your left and right speakers haha.

Don't say I naggy... If u mix and match, u may end up spending more when u decide the treble/tweeter or the combo of mids and treble sounds different from side to center.

If u buy the pioneer center and like it, u may end up feeling the need to buy the pioneer floorstanders to replace your sony left/right in future.

Or eventually you may decide after hearing different sound signature that you should just get the sony center. Then u would have spent double instead of saving.

Eh don't waste my good intention leh. I have carefully curated my thoughts and sharing with u based on your need to be thrifty.

Anyway my advice is don't buy center speaker for now. Wait until you started working and have some savings then can buy whatever you like without guilt.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Oh yah crinky maybe I abit paranoid haha but the avr came with ypao calibration microphone right? Just worried display set have missing items.

And also, since you already have a floorstanding speaker, a subwoofer isn'tso critical. It might not be a noticable upgrade as cheaper subwoofers don't go very low anyway. Your floorstanding speaker in your room may already give you some of the sub bass feel. So also can save on that for now.
However, if u still tempted to buy, then at your budget, bigger is better. 10inch ported or 12 inch sealed would be ideal minimum. If idealism is out of budget then wharfedale wh- s8e is the cheapest subwoofer. So cheap that if u gonna buy 2nd hand make sure it's not too old and at most half price. Anyone own this subwoofer before? Can share opinions?

Last edited:

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
"Virtual rear" has long been done by altering the phase of the sound. It was audible in an FPS that I last played... 10 years ago. And that was using stereo speakers.

However knowing it's Yamaha, they may include beamforming technology that is famously used in their soundbars...

So one of two things can happen, and you should test it:

1) Only one speaker is used for one virtual rear speaker
2) Multiple speakers are used to create one virtual rear speaker

And you can easily test it by checking whether sound is coming from the other speakers while you play a test track and only the rear speaker is being played.

If case (1), you can put the rear speaker anywhere you want
If case (2), it is recommended to follow Yamaha's manual

ADD: Also, if your rear speakers are of a way lower quality than your front, I would just use the front speakers and see what virtual speakers features the AVR can enable with a 2.1 system.

I see, that makes sense. I was just curious since I had those as spares anyways but it's not like I have alot of space on my tv console either so I might just stick to a 3.1 if I decide to get the center. Thanks for the input :)

It's very simple how AVR works.
Depend on source it plays, example Stereo source.
Left and right speaker will have sound.

the Effects like DTS Neo 6 etc. are basically upmix but
these are useful if you are using 5 speakers to create a surround
effect from stereo.

Ah I see. I saw some people using the that function for things such as family gatherings where you can just play stereo music through all your speakers just so it's louder and better fills a room with alot of guests.

I hardly use effects as it doesn't make the original source
sound that nice.
I won't recommend putting all speakers in front,
it defeat the purpose as well as not accurate.

If you don't have space than just use three speakers.
Later down the road when you have budget than
get a contractor lay wires for the rear speaker.

The rear speaker are for surround as well as positional effect.
Example in a gun fight, if someone shoots from you from the back
you can hear from the back.

If you put every speaker in front, it does not sound accurate.
The virtual rear speaker won't be that accurate for 5.1 tracks
but you can try.

Yep I think I'll give it a try since I have it anyways, if it doesn't sound good then I'll just keep the spare speakers since they don't have much value anyways. Thanks for the input :)

This thread should serve as an example to newbies entering the surround and HT hobby as a good example of how NOT to do things.

Remember the fundamentals:
- learn the terms
- learn what each speaker does
- learn how to audition
- learn how to allocate your budget
- learn how to position your speakers
- learn how to calibrate

That's the right way. Enough said now, but this thread is a good learning one for others to learn what not to follow.

Time is not on my side and I would love to have been able to do all these. Then again, this isn't my full-time hobby so it doesn't matter all that much, I just wanted a decent setup by getting to know the basics. I don't think most people come into the HT hobby straight away wanting to get immersed and spending mad amounts. The amount of time and effort I've put in seems like what a majority of people might spend and I think that's fine.

If you feel that what I've been doing is wrong then I can't change your mind but I hope you would stop being so passive-aggressive about it. You said you would stop giving inputs since you felt it was a lost cause, in that case you should stop putting out subtle jabs at people you disagree with.

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
This is the very reason why I told u to consider future center speaker purchase when choosing your left and right speakers haha.

Don't say I naggy... If u mix and match, u may end up spending more when u decide the treble/tweeter or the combo of mids and treble sounds different from side to center.

If u buy the pioneer center and like it, u may end up feeling the need to buy the pioneer floorstanders to replace your sony left/right in future.

Or eventually you may decide after hearing different sound signature that you should just get the sony center. Then u would have spent double instead of saving.

I highly doubt it would be that much of a factor for me. I won't be that critical of it to the point that I might hear the minute differences and let that drive me to the point of spending money that I don't have on newer speakers. Like you've said before, "you believe in the science", likewise I'm asking about this pioneer centre based on it's quality as a center. I've seen more favourable reviews for it than the Sony's and it's cheaper as well. Given that the sound signature differences might not even be that perceptible to me or might even be negligible even if I could tell the difference, I'm thinking it might be worth getting it. Of course, I might be wrong and it could really be a huge difference in signature to the point I could hear it :s13:

I think more importantly, I'm just looking at it for the functionality of having a center, e.g increased vocal presence and maybe higher quality vocals in this aspect, but ya I'm considering whether it's worth it.

Eh don't waste my good intention leh. I have carefully curated my thoughts and sharing with u based on your need to be thrifty.

Anyway my advice is don't buy center speaker for now. Wait until you started working and have some savings then can buy whatever you like without guilt.

I wanted to just get it out of the way since this deal is available now haha. I don't think I'll be invested enough into HT as a hobby to even "find something I like" by learning that much more about it. I definitely won't be splurging enough to have to consider saving a big amount for it either :s13:

Oh yah crinky maybe I abit paranoid haha but the avr came with ypao calibration microphone right? Just worried display set have missing items.

And also, since you already have a floorstanding speaker, a subwoofer isn'tso critical. It might not be a noticable upgrade as cheaper subwoofers don't go very low anyway. Your floorstanding speaker in your room may already give you some of the sub bass feel. So also can save on that for now.
However, if u still tempted to buy, then at your budget, bigger is better. 10inch ported or 12 inch sealed would be ideal minimum. If idealism is out of budget then wharfedale wh- s8e is the cheapest subwoofer. So cheap that if u gonna buy 2nd hand make sure it's not too old and at most half price. Anyone own this subwoofer before? Can share opinions?

Yep it came with all the items in the box. Subwoofer wise I'm still thinking about it but I imagine it's a bigger priority than the center, I hope to hear more about the wharfedale too

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Yup u right. I agree, subwoofer probably more important than center speaker. After u get that, still can play around for awhile with positioning and EQ. Those factors are supposed to make the most difference.

lxXXxl

Master Member
Reaction score
Subwoofer wise I'm still thinking about it but I imagine it's a bigger priority than the center, I hope to hear more about the wharfedale too

Don't bother with the 8 inch. Really. Your floorstanders give you somewhat usable 40-60hz range. The main purpose of a sub is to give you enough volume generally in the 20-40hz.

I'm over-simplifying of course, but unless some special engineering method was used, an 8 inch will not have much beyond 30-35hz.

This is a nice thread where many bass tracks are visualized with their spectrograms, so you can see music and movie soundtracks that go low (and what you're missing without a sub).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bass.18999/page-3

Of course, not all subwoofers are built the same. There'll always be exceptions, but generally some things to look out for:

1. Driver size - 10 inch tends to be the minimum for good <30hz performance. Any smaller, it either means the company is forcing the driver to work too hard (heavy distortion), or it's specially designed (meaning $$$), or they have some 'fine print' (27hz....but at -10db).... 10 - 12 inches is the sweet spot for our typical apartments...

2. They may say 27hz, even 24hz, but does the manufacturer dare to say at -3db? Or they leave out this 'tiny' piece of info? Do they show you the frequency measurements? It says a lot about their confidence in their subs.

3. You may see a subwoofer with a 12 inch driver with a fantastic deal. Check their power specs first. Maybe it's only 100W, or even less. The better, more reliable companies will say something like 300W RMS and 500W peak. Yes, those big cones need adequate power to move.

4. Budget subs will tend to have a 'peaky' response, higher peak at 60-80hz and then sharp drop below 40hz. So you feel like it's powerfully loud. And some will dress it up by saying it's 'more musical' :D
But then you look at the response of a SVS sub that has consistent power all the way down to 20hz. That's where your money is going to...

Note that it doesn't mean you cannot buy budget subs. You can eq the sub so that it has a more consistent response. But size and power matters, so you have to be aware of the limitations.

Like my 10 inch in below image (post EQ), 25hz looks like only a 5db drop from 30hz, but in reality it's just a faint rumble....and it's right under my desk. Imagine sitting 2-3 metres away, with a budget 8 incher.

Abz0pgI.png

That said, spend within your means, do some homework, and consider 2nd hand but keep your eyes open :D

Oh and demo some subs of course, but remember the quietness of the showroom vs your apartment, that higher noise floor will affect what you can hear too.

Last edited:

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup. We went to adelphi and audiohouse and I did my usual long winded sharing of my own personal experience haha.

Nice of you to do this for TS. Seems I missed most of the hoo haa in the earlier posts. Just to share with TS as someone who have played with audio and HT systems for many years. After going thru many amplifiers, AVRs and speakers over the years, I'm now still happy with a simple AVR with 5.1 speakers system. It is ok to just have a 2.0 system if TS is satisfied with the sound. Not necessary to follow the crowd to add speakers to 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1. More speakers also means more cables and mess, may not be the best thing to do depending on the situation and needs.

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Don't bother with the 8 inch. Really. Your floorstanders give you somewhat usable 40-60hz range. The main purpose of a sub is to give you enough volume generally in the 20-40hz.

I'm over-simplifying of course, but unless some special engineering method was used, an 8 inch will not have much beyond 30-35hz.

This is a nice thread where many bass tracks are visualized with their spectrograms, so you can see music and movie soundtracks that go low (and what you're missing without a sub).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/bass.18999/page-3

Of course, not all subwoofers are built the same. There'll always be exceptions, but generally some things to look out for:

1. Driver size - 10 inch tends to be the minimum for good <30hz performance. Any smaller, it either means the company is forcing the driver to work too hard (heavy distortion), or it's specially designed (meaning $$$), or they have some 'fine print' (27hz....but at -10db).... 10 - 12 inches is the sweet spot for our typical apartments...

2. They may say 27hz, even 24hz, but does the manufacturer dare to say at -3db? Or they leave out this 'tiny' piece of info? Do they show you the frequency measurements? It says a lot about their confidence in their subs.

3. You may see a subwoofer with a 12 inch driver with a fantastic deal. Check their power specs first. Maybe it's only 100W, or even less. The better, more reliable companies will say something like 300W RMS and 500W peak. Yes, those big cones need adequate power to move.

4. Budget subs will tend to have a 'peaky' response, higher peak at 60-80hz and then sharp drop below 40hz. So you feel like it's powerfully loud. And some will dress it up by saying it's 'more musical' :D
But then you look at the response of a SVS sub that has consistent power all the way down to 20hz. That's where your money is going to...

Note that it doesn't mean you cannot buy budget subs. You can eq the sub so that it has a more consistent response. But size and power matters, so you have to be aware of the limitations.

Like my 10 inch in below image (post EQ), 25hz looks like only a 5db drop from 30hz, but in reality it's just a faint rumble....and it's right under my desk. Imagine sitting 2-3 metres away, with a budget 8 incher.

Abz0pgI.png

That said, spend within your means, do some homework, and consider 2nd hand but keep your eyes open :D

Oh and demo some subs of course, but remember the quietness of the showroom vs your apartment, that higher noise floor will affect what you can hear too.

Wah you really typed alot of info but again it's very useful so thank you! I managed to get a used subwoofer from a relative, it's a Velodyne CHT-8QR, an 8 inch but I guess it was free so can't complain :s13: It didn't come with any cable but I assume I'll have to run an RCA cable from the subwoofer out on my Yamaha RX V585 to the LFE in? My question is why there are 2 inputs for the subwoofer but only one is labelled "LFE In", there are 2 outputs on the AVR but I assume it only needs one since my AVR supports 2 subwoofers so I'm wondering do I need an RCA that goes from one plug on the AVR side and splits into 2 at the subwoofer end.

url

Good watch, need take their suggestions and play with room correction

I'll check it out thank you

Nice of you to do this for TS. Seems I missed most of the hoo haa in the earlier posts. Just to share with TS as someone who have played with audio and HT systems for many years. After going thru many amplifiers, AVRs and speakers over the years, I'm now still happy with a simple AVR with 5.1 speakers system. It is ok to just have a 2.0 system if TS is satisfied with the sound. Not necessary to follow the crowd to add speakers to 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1. More speakers also means more cables and mess, may not be the best thing to do depending on the situation and needs.

Thanks for the input! I do feel abit lost in it all but honestly the current 2.0 is really nice to listen to already, but just itchy fingers haha

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
You only need one subwoofer cable. Yes connect subwoofer 1 output from avr to LFE port on subwoofer. I am using cheap amazon basics subwoofer cable.

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
You only need one subwoofer cable. Yes connect subwoofer 1 output from avr to LFE port on subwoofer. I am using cheap amazon basics subwoofer cable.
Seems quite hard to find generic ones on Carousell. Mostly saw the dual input ones, are those ok for this use case or should I look for those with 1 connector per side?

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Seems quite hard to find generic ones on Carousell. Mostly saw the dual input ones, are those ok for this use case or should I look for those with 1 connector per side?

Carousell just to buy subwoofer cable? Please dont. If u want you can buy my extra long version first. NIB. But u must come to braddell mrt. $4 niah but very long 35ft, which can be useful if u want to try to find best location for subwoofer placement. Shorter ones no stock at the moment. Although they usually cost more
https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B01D5H8IIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jt7dGb2014P6E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and some subwoofer cables the plug fit too loosely. I tried some others before no good. Amazonbasics one is super tight fitting.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.