HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #241
High Supremacy Member

TS, this is my AVR with cabling:

Pioneer VSX-930 (WhatHifi 5 stars, HD Music certified)

https://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/vsx-930/review

- Belden speaker cable with banana plug (From SLT, around $100 depending
on distance)
- Elecom HDMI 2.0 DH-HDP14E20BK $32 X 4 (The other 2 is connected directly to TV.)
https://www.hachi.tech/accessories-s...-4953103495081
- Media bridge subwoofer cable (EOL so have to look for other sub cable on Amazon)

Beside searching for AVR and speaker.
You will have set aside budget for decent cable.

If you wonder why only two HDMI cable, one HDMI for ARC for TV.
One for Sony 4K Blu Ray player, another 2 device connected directly to TV which is my SH TV box and PS4.

All these for me adds another $200 - $300 on top of my AVR and speaker cost.

Last edited by techidiot; 01-01-2021 at 09:28 AM..
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #242

Thanks for sharing techidiot. I think by now TS knows he has to spend more already.

Thankfully for the audio science community developments and discussions, the extra bit we spend can also finally be translated to better sound quality and greater value for money.

Last edited by benedium; 01-01-2021 at 02:22 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #243

If by chip amps you mean Class D, then I think It's because Class D is regarded as having poorer transient response (i.e gunshots, thunder) than Class AB. I'm not sure if it still applies to modern GaN transistors, how much is due to the power supplies and how much is due to Class AB's efficiency increasing with increased voltage thus sounding louder.
Thanks. Now I finally understand what is 'transients' heheh. My smsl sa300 seems to have less treble extension but sounds like it has snappier bass compared to my denon avr x3600h.

Last edited by benedium; 01-01-2021 at 02:14 PM..
Old 01-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #244
High Supremacy Member

If by chip amps you mean Class D, then I think It's because Class D is regarded as having poorer transient response (i.e gunshots, thunder) than Class AB. I'm not sure if it still applies to modern GaN transistors, how much is due to the power supplies and how much is due to Class AB's efficiency increasing with increased voltage thus sounding louder.
"Switching amplifiers have a few other advantages over linear amplifiers such as the elimination of zero crossing distortion and excellent transient response."

Tommy O’Brien is a power amplifier designer.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/class-di...-topologies/5/

Means what
Old 01-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #245

TS, this is my AVR with cabling:

Pioneer VSX-930 (WhatHifi 5 stars, HD Music certified)

https://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/vsx-930/review

- Belden speaker cable with banana plug (From SLT, around $100 depending
on distance)
- Elecom HDMI 2.0 DH-HDP14E20BK $32 X 4 (The other 2 is connected directly to TV.)
https://www.hachi.tech/accessories-s...-4953103495081
- Media bridge subwoofer cable (EOL so have to look for other sub cable on Amazon)

Beside searching for AVR and speaker.
You will have set aside budget for decent cable.

If you wonder why only two HDMI cable, one HDMI for ARC for TV.
One for Sony 4K Blu Ray player, another 2 device connected directly to TV which is my SH TV box and PS4.

All these for me adds another $200 - $300 on top of my AVR and speaker cost.

Thanks for sharing techidiot. I think by now TS knows he has to spend more already.

Thankfully for the audio science community developments and discussions, the extra bit we spend can also finally be translated to better sound quality and greater value for money.
Yep I know that I will be spending abit more here and there on these miscellaneous accessories. For now though I haven't gotten any new consoles (waiting for greater availability on the Xbox series X, which doubles as a blu ray player) so I'll really only need one cable for the TV's built in streaming services
crinkypeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:13 AM   #246
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yep I know that I will be spending abit more here and there on these miscellaneous accessories. For now though I haven't gotten any new consoles (waiting for greater availability on the Xbox series X, which doubles as a blu ray player) so I'll really only need one cable for the TV's built in streaming services
Hope they fix the HD Blu-ray issue. At $699 not sure it will ever be better Panasonic 820 or more entry level player out there
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/11/09/the-xbox-series-x-4k-blu-ray-player-has-a-problemor-two/
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:41 AM   #247

Hope they fix the HD Blu-ray issue. At $699 not sure it will ever be better Panasonic 820 or more entry level player out there
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...problemor-two/
Hopefully it's something they can resolve with a firmware update. True but the value as a console is there and I'm not too fussy about this for the amount I'm spending on my ht overall. Maybe if I were spending loads on an OLED tv for the perfect blacks, I'd get more annoyed at something like this
Old 11-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #248
High Supremacy Member

Well here is BS22 selling for USD$80 per pair before adding proxy shipping fees

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/...Slickdeals+LLC
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 07:16 AM   #249
High Supremacy Member

USD$74

https://www.newegg.com/pioneer-sp-bs...quicklink=true
Old 13-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #250

Well here is BS22 selling for USD$80 per pair before adding proxy shipping fees

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/...Slickdeals+LLC
Thanks for the recommendation but I ended up getting a display set Yamaha RX V585 AVR for $600 and a pair of Sony SS CS3 floorstanding speakers for $170. They sound really nice and I'm quite satisfied that I managed to fit it somewhat within my budget. Now I'm wondering if I should stretch my budget abit to get a subwoofer like the Wharfedale WH-SE8 recommended earlier and maybe a center channel, I saw the Pioneer SP-C22 at a good price and feel tempted to spend more Has anyone used either one before?

I would provide a photo but not sure how to post my own photo on hwz, I only see options for image url
Old 13-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #251
Arch-Supremacy Member

After watching TV with whatever content are you happy with just the speakers?
Pioneer SP-C22 By Andrew Jones has great reviews. I think they discontinued.
Sub no idea. Just got my JBL HDI-1200p sub in.

Those JBL made in China even for synthesis line. My revel they made in Indonesia. My kids enjoying their 3.1 revel setup.
Old 13-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #252

I would provide a photo but not sure how to post my own photo on hwz, I only see options for image url
Drag your photo into imgur.com, then open the menu icon on image top right corner, copy the BBcode link and paste here.
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #253
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for the recommendation but I ended up getting a display set Yamaha RX V585 AVR for $600 and a pair of Sony SS CS3 floorstanding speakers for $170. They sound really nice and I'm quite satisfied that I managed to fit it somewhat within my budget. Now I'm wondering if I should stretch my budget abit to get a subwoofer like the Wharfedale WH-SE8 recommended earlier and maybe a center channel, I saw the Pioneer SP-C22 at a good price and feel tempted to spend more Has anyone used either one before?

Recommend to get a Sony SS-CS8 center as Pioneer and Sony sound signature are different.
However Pioneer Andrew Jones have discontinue so another reason
to get the Sony one instead.

Sub wise, I have no recommendation best let other recommend.
What I'm using is Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 set, the sub is also Pioneer.
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #254

I also told him make sure get same series and brand of center speaker already. Maybe he forgot. Sound signature different will sound very uncomfortable, especially for front 3 speakers.

Other than that, also remember save for bigger subwoofer that can go down to around 20hz. Save for now rather than get something that u regret later. Sorry if I seem naggy heheh.

Last edited by benedium; 13-01-2021 at 07:21 PM..
Old 14-01-2021, 05:14 AM   #255
Arch-Supremacy Member

for ppl who tried them can share difference in sound signature?

Can TS discern? other threads ppl just mix and match from donated speakers dont seem to ID sound signature stuff from the rojak.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.