HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #271

Subwoofer wise I'm still thinking about it but I imagine it's a bigger priority than the center, I hope to hear more about the wharfedale too
Don't bother with the 8 inch. Really. Your floorstanders give you somewhat usable 40-60hz range. The main purpose of a sub is to give you enough volume generally in the 20-40hz.

I'm over-simplifying of course, but unless some special engineering method was used, an 8 inch will not have much beyond 30-35hz.

This is a nice thread where many bass tracks are visualized with their spectrograms, so you can see music and movie soundtracks that go low (and what you're missing without a sub).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...s.18999/page-3

Of course, not all subwoofers are built the same. There'll always be exceptions, but generally some things to look out for:

1. Driver size - 10 inch tends to be the minimum for good <30hz performance. Any smaller, it either means the company is forcing the driver to work too hard (heavy distortion), or it's specially designed (meaning $$$), or they have some 'fine print' (27hz....but at -10db).... 10 - 12 inches is the sweet spot for our typical apartments...

2. They may say 27hz, even 24hz, but does the manufacturer dare to say at -3db? Or they leave out this 'tiny' piece of info? Do they show you the frequency measurements? It says a lot about their confidence in their subs.

3. You may see a subwoofer with a 12 inch driver with a fantastic deal. Check their power specs first. Maybe it's only 100W, or even less. The better, more reliable companies will say something like 300W RMS and 500W peak. Yes, those big cones need adequate power to move.

4. Budget subs will tend to have a 'peaky' response, higher peak at 60-80hz and then sharp drop below 40hz. So you feel like it's powerfully loud. And some will dress it up by saying it's 'more musical'
But then you look at the response of a SVS sub that has consistent power all the way down to 20hz. That's where your money is going to...

Note that it doesn't mean you cannot buy budget subs. You can eq the sub so that it has a more consistent response. But size and power matters, so you have to be aware of the limitations.

Like my 10 inch in below image (post EQ), 25hz looks like only a 5db drop from 30hz, but in reality it's just a faint rumble....and it's right under my desk. Imagine sitting 2-3 metres away, with a budget 8 incher.

That said, spend within your means, do some homework, and consider 2nd hand but keep your eyes open

Oh and demo some subs of course, but remember the quietness of the showroom vs your apartment, that higher noise floor will affect what you can hear too.

Last edited by lxXXxl; 17-01-2021 at 11:49 PM..
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #272
Arch-Supremacy Member

Good watch, need take their suggestions and play with room correction
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #273
tk
Supremacy Member

Yup. We went to adelphi and audiohouse and I did my usual long winded sharing of my own personal experience haha.
Nice of you to do this for TS. Seems I missed most of the hoo haa in the earlier posts. Just to share with TS as someone who have played with audio and HT systems for many years. After going thru many amplifiers, AVRs and speakers over the years, I'm now still happy with a simple AVR with 5.1 speakers system. It is ok to just have a 2.0 system if TS is satisfied with the sound. Not necessary to follow the crowd to add speakers to 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1. More speakers also means more cables and mess, may not be the best thing to do depending on the situation and needs.
tk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #274

Don't bother with the 8 inch. Really. Your floorstanders give you somewhat usable 40-60hz range. The main purpose of a sub is to give you enough volume generally in the 20-40hz.

I'm over-simplifying of course, but unless some special engineering method was used, an 8 inch will not have much beyond 30-35hz.

This is a nice thread where many bass tracks are visualized with their spectrograms, so you can see music and movie soundtracks that go low (and what you're missing without a sub).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...s.18999/page-3

Of course, not all subwoofers are built the same. There'll always be exceptions, but generally some things to look out for:

1. Driver size - 10 inch tends to be the minimum for good <30hz performance. Any smaller, it either means the company is forcing the driver to work too hard (heavy distortion), or it's specially designed (meaning $$$), or they have some 'fine print' (27hz....but at -10db).... 10 - 12 inches is the sweet spot for our typical apartments...

2. They may say 27hz, even 24hz, but does the manufacturer dare to say at -3db? Or they leave out this 'tiny' piece of info? Do they show you the frequency measurements? It says a lot about their confidence in their subs.

3. You may see a subwoofer with a 12 inch driver with a fantastic deal. Check their power specs first. Maybe it's only 100W, or even less. The better, more reliable companies will say something like 300W RMS and 500W peak. Yes, those big cones need adequate power to move.

4. Budget subs will tend to have a 'peaky' response, higher peak at 60-80hz and then sharp drop below 40hz. So you feel like it's powerfully loud. And some will dress it up by saying it's 'more musical'
But then you look at the response of a SVS sub that has consistent power all the way down to 20hz. That's where your money is going to...

Note that it doesn't mean you cannot buy budget subs. You can eq the sub so that it has a more consistent response. But size and power matters, so you have to be aware of the limitations.

Like my 10 inch in below image (post EQ), 25hz looks like only a 5db drop from 30hz, but in reality it's just a faint rumble....and it's right under my desk. Imagine sitting 2-3 metres away, with a budget 8 incher.

That said, spend within your means, do some homework, and consider 2nd hand but keep your eyes open

Oh and demo some subs of course, but remember the quietness of the showroom vs your apartment, that higher noise floor will affect what you can hear too.
Wah you really typed alot of info but again it's very useful so thank you! I managed to get a used subwoofer from a relative, it's a Velodyne CHT-8QR, an 8 inch but I guess it was free so can't complain It didn't come with any cable but I assume I'll have to run an RCA cable from the subwoofer out on my Yamaha RX V585 to the LFE in? My question is why there are 2 inputs for the subwoofer but only one is labelled "LFE In", there are 2 outputs on the AVR but I assume it only needs one since my AVR supports 2 subwoofers so I'm wondering do I need an RCA that goes from one plug on the AVR side and splits into 2 at the subwoofer end.

Good watch, need take their suggestions and play with room correction
I'll check it out thank you

Nice of you to do this for TS. Seems I missed most of the hoo haa in the earlier posts. Just to share with TS as someone who have played with audio and HT systems for many years. After going thru many amplifiers, AVRs and speakers over the years, I'm now still happy with a simple AVR with 5.1 speakers system. It is ok to just have a 2.0 system if TS is satisfied with the sound. Not necessary to follow the crowd to add speakers to 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1. More speakers also means more cables and mess, may not be the best thing to do depending on the situation and needs.
Thanks for the input! I do feel abit lost in it all but honestly the current 2.0 is really nice to listen to already, but just itchy fingers haha
crinkypeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:54 AM   #275

You only need one subwoofer cable. Yes connect subwoofer 1 output from avr to LFE port on subwoofer. I am using cheap amazon basics subwoofer cable.
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #276

You only need one subwoofer cable. Yes connect subwoofer 1 output from avr to LFE port on subwoofer. I am using cheap amazon basics subwoofer cable.
Seems quite hard to find generic ones on Carousell. Mostly saw the dual input ones, are those ok for this use case or should I look for those with 1 connector per side?
crinkypeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #277

Seems quite hard to find generic ones on Carousell. Mostly saw the dual input ones, are those ok for this use case or should I look for those with 1 connector per side?
Carousell just to buy subwoofer cable? Please dont. If u want you can buy my extra long version first. NIB. But u must come to braddell mrt. $4 niah but very long 35ft, which can be useful if u want to try to find best location for subwoofer placement. Shorter ones no stock at the moment. Although they usually cost more
https://www.amazon.sg/dp/B01D5H8IIU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jt7dGb2014P6E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh and some subwoofer cables the plug fit too loosely. I tried some others before no good. Amazonbasics one is super tight fitting.

Last edited by benedium; 26-01-2021 at 02:48 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.