55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the info, I guess for any audio equipment I import I'll have to check how the voltage pairs. For those that don't match need to get a transformer for it?

Passive speaker no voltage for you to check lol
Power speakers, AVR etc you have to check
Really depends on type not anything

If u need to pay for transformer it may cost more than buying locally

https://www.denon.com/en-za/shop/avreceiver/avrx250bt
If you read the specs 130 watt is only when you drive One speaker which is 6 ohm rated. When hook up to 2 speakers 8 ohm rated it goes down. Small room it’s enough. When you add a center speaker later the power goes down further

If this is around good deal
https://www.carousell.sg/p/denon-avr-x550bt-av-amplifier-1056328818/?

Review on those Sony
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sony-ss-cs5-3-way-speaker-review.13562/

I will go for 152 over the Sony
https://www.carousell.sg/p/infinity-reference-r152-bookshelf-speaker-in-pair-1056049405/?

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Seriously I don't get where do you get opinion that this and that
are no good :s11:
Denon M41 is a good Hifi with bookshelf.

If you're focus is on saving money or finding the cheapest option
you can find.
AVR isn't suitable for you, you can skimp or find second hand speaker.

I be blunt it's you making all bad decision and recommendation not
from me or anyone.

FYI I am a audio visual technician here so if you think I anyhow recommend
than I am out from here.
Watch you say to me, I feel you are disrespecting me by saying my recommendations is bad.

I do home AV setup so I know which setup as well as for community
and events.
I have handle AVR, Mini hifi, DJ mixing console, mixer etc.
Do you or anyone have vast experience with both consumer and commercial audio visual equipment. No.

You are looking for a AVR with decent speaker under $500 is unrealistic.
can I recommend a Denon mid range with decent floor standing speaker?
I can't it will cost around $2k for a Denon mid range AVR with ELAC
floorstanding speaker.

My Pioneer Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup cost around $2k, $500 to find a decent
amp and speaker is difficult.
Think you browse in Caurosell see what you can find especially if saving money is your primary objective.

Cheap.jpg

BTW I'm out from here but managed your expectations.
Don't expect $100 speaker to perform a mid/high end speaker like phone.

++++
Hence my soundbar / powered speaker recommendation. I also think the MCD 41 is a very good system. I have the MCD 38, and I use it with my LS 50.
I think I've also said my piece. Good luck TS.
My last words, look hard at your wallet, see how much you really want to spend then visit Harvey / Courts first.
Visit Adelphi only if you are willing to spend a lot more than $500.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure denon M series is that great. I had m40 amp with the m40 speaker and now I have smsl sa300 powering the same m40 speaker and I think the smsl amp greatly improves the sound of the speaker. When connected to tv via optical I found the denon mini system too warm sounding and many details lost or too soft. Really not good for movie dialog.

I think the denon M series time is over already as others have surpassed it in terms of price for sound quality. I would not recommend it but maybe I'm also not expert.

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
TS, I PM u already. Can even come my place listen and compare sound quality of my smsl amp plus m39/m40 speakers with my denon x3600h plus elac debut/reference speakers. But must wear mask lah haha

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
TS, also at your budget only new subwoofer option is wharfedale wh s8e at less than $200

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Actually someone on another thread reminded me... I think maybe for your budget no point trying to get sub standard avr and system. Probably just get edifier s350d 2.1 system. There is not hdmi connection but it's a small compromise while u enjoy better sound quality.

So now your options may be either get soundbar for hdmi convenience with huge compromise on sound quality.... or get edifier 2.1 speaker system for best sound quality and no hdmi.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/edifier-s350db-2-1-speaker-system-review.15344

Last edited:

iicecube

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually someone on another thread reminded me... I think maybe for your budget no point trying to get sub standard avr and system. Probably just get edifier s350d 2.1 system. There is not hdmi connection but it's a small compromise while u enjoy better sound quality.

So now your options may be either get soundbar for hdmi convenience with huge compromise on sound quality.... or get edifier 2.1 speaker system for best sound quality and no hdmi.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/edifier-s350db-2-1-speaker-system-review.15344

For this TS can fort out 1k plus I rather he buy a very good pair of active 2.0 speakers instead and forget about soundbar pls..
A good 2.0 active speaker can even best out a cheap 2.1 setup or even 5.1 in term sound without sub..
Try to find active 2.0 speaker with sub out in case if TS wanna..

benedium

Banned
Reaction score

I thought of this too, eg edifier r1850 plus 8inch subwoofer. But wonder if compatibility and adjustability might be an issue. That's why I thought maybe easiest to just stick with ready made system like s350db?

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
I be blunt it's you making all bad decision and recommendation not
from me or anyone.

FYI I am a audio visual technician here so if you think I anyhow recommend
than I am out from here.
Watch you say to me, I feel you are disrespecting me by saying my recommendations is bad.

I do home AV setup so I know which setup as well as for community
and events.
I have handle AVR, Mini hifi, DJ mixing console, mixer etc.
Do you or anyone have vast experience with both consumer and commercial audio visual equipment. No.
Alright relax man, all I've said is based on what I read whilst surfing the web. You're free to make recommendations and I'm only asking and replying from what I know. Everyone has their own opinions mah. If I decide against something you recommend and you feel what I'm saying is wrong, you could try to convince me otherwise. Maybe I phrased it wrongly but that wasn't meant to be a personal attack, I'm just saying I don't think I would be getting those sets that you recommended based on what I heard. If you disagree you can try to convince me with more information about your recommendations. Chill lah. "Make love not war"

You are looking for a AVR with decent speaker under $500 is unrealistic.

My Pioneer Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup cost around $2k, $500 to find a decent
amp and speaker is difficult.
Think you browse in Caurosell see what you can find especially if saving money is your primary objective.

Yep I will be looking around Carousell

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
TS, I PM u already. Can even come my place listen and compare sound quality of my smsl amp plus m39/m40 speakers with my denon x3600h plus elac debut/reference speakers. But must wear mask lah haha

I'll check out the pm then, thanks for the invite but I will be quite busy with other stuff.

TS, also at your budget only new subwoofer option is wharfedale wh s8e at less than $200

I'll check this out, thanks for the recommendation

I guess my budget is quite low especially for Home theater equipment. I was interested in the avr setup because there is the convenience of hdmi and connecting all my devices easily and also better sound quality with bookshelf speakers rather than a soundbar but ya seems like quite hard to do when the budget is low haha

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
A good 2.0 active speaker can even best out a cheap 2.1 setup or even 5.1 in term sound without sub..

^ this was what I was seeing mostly when looking around which is why I'm still a little reluctant on getting a soundbar. If I get an active speaker means the speakers connect directly to the TV and all my sources will connect to the TV and the TV will direct it to the speakers?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
^ this was what I was seeing mostly when looking around which is why I'm still a little reluctant on getting a soundbar. If I get an active speaker means the speakers connect directly to the TV and all my sources will connect to the TV and the TV will direct it to the speakers?

Yes correct but most Bookshelf speaker doesn't have HDMI ARC but optical.
You have to individual control the volume for both TV and speaker
separately.
There is Klipsch Fives the only bookshelf speaker with HDMI ARC but
way out of your budget.

reno77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is how I run my setup.

Optical out from TV > preamp > powered speakers.

Specifically LG 65” TV > DAC > Gustard H16 > Focal Twin 6 be.

The preamp is necessary for me because my Focals only accept balanced XLR signals and also, I want remote control for volume.

If your powered (active) speakers have a built-in DAC or even RCA inputs, you can skip the preamp.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is how I run my setup.

Optical out from TV > preamp > powered speakers.

Specifically LG 65” TV > DAC > Gustard H16 > Focal Twin 6 be.

The preamp is necessary for me because my Focals only accept balanced XLR signals and also, I want remote control for volume.

If your powered (active) speakers have a built-in DAC or even RCA inputs, you can skip the preamp.

Your speakers cost more than the TV and pre amp. There is more than one way to get great sound
https://sinamex.com/product/focal-twin6-be-pair/

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So... what is the other way?

In before another youtube video from PS Audio

Wake up on wrong side of the bed on Xmas day?
If you have a problem with me just block my post
Toxic is the in thing here?

wahjohreno

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes yes, I know it’s weird that my speakers cost more than my TV and preamp.

I used to use the Twin be’s (and also a pair of Eve Audio SC 208’s) in my studio. Then I bought a pair of ATC SCM50 ASL’s, and retired the Focals and Eve Audio’s. They’ve just been sitting in my store room for the last 2 years, as spare speakers in case the ATC’s and my Genelec’s go kaput.

Last week I decided to take them out to test whether they still work after so long in storage (which they still do, perfectly).

I had to find a way to connect my TV’s optical out to my Focals, which accept only XLR inputs, and I didn’t want to spend much money and I wanted remote control. Hence I ended up with the Gustard preamp.

Prior to bringing the Focals out of storage, I was simply using a B&O A9 as my “sound bar”.

But I don’t think I can’t put them back in storage after watching a movie with them. They’re far more engaging than the A9 because of the stereo sound field. So I threw the whole “I don’t want my living room to have speakers that look like speakers” concept out the window.

The A9 is just used as Airplay/network speakers now.

r5w11dq.jpg

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
TS advice for you:

- Go to Audio house or Courts Megahouse Tampiness.
Take a look at Denon, Onkyo/Pioneer, Yamaha showroom.
See what options you are looking at.
Around $500 is very difficult.
Unless you take up installment plan.

I will be looking around these stores but of course when I started the thread I didn't even know what to look for or to test in the store :s13: I'll try to test out the recommendations given so far.

FYI most Bookshelf speaker bass is decent so don't really
need a sub but you need a decent amp to drive it.
Why I mention Hi-fi is it is a bundle with the amp and speaker.

FYI bundles like the Denon the speaker can be change to others.
Earlier you were eyeing the Sony speaker, Sony have this model
but only Sony Store carries it.

Sony CMT-SX7 $699

This is High resolution certified meaning capable to handle high res audio.
Movies and videos performance wise I do not know, I have played with it before music is good.

Looks good but used Denon X550bt + the sony speakers is around $650 and should be more worth it since an AVR should be more compatible with other brand speakers since it's non proprietary?

There is Klispch Fives Bookshelf speaker with HDMI in, however
this is way out of your budget as it cost near $1k.

The-Fives_Walnut_Front-Grilles_2000x.jpg

The issue is your budget unless you can stretch or take up installment plan than you can consider better sound system.[/QUOTE]

Damn that's really expensive. Unfortunately I won't be increasing my budget via installment plans, I want to be prudent and not overspend if I can avoid it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.