HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #16

What's the implications with subwoofers, are they more likely to get damaged?
Not so much damaged physically but because they have powered electronics like built in amplifier, they may not last as long as passive speakers. So if somehow u are tempted by a good deal make sure the model is not too old or preferably still covered by warranty. Repairs may not be worth it or even possible sometimes.
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:19 PM   #17

Not so much damaged physically but because they have powered electronics like built in amplifier, they may not last as long as passive speakers. So if somehow u are tempted by a good deal make sure the model is not too old or preferably still covered by warranty. Repairs may not be worth it or even possible sometimes.
Any recommendations for subwoofers? After some reading I might be considering the Sony SS CS5 or Creative X7 for stereo, though I also read about offerings from Micca. Has anyone had any experience with importing speakers?
crinkypeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #18
Arch-Supremacy Member

Any recommendations for subwoofers? After some reading I might be considering the Sony SS CS5 or Creative X7 for stereo, though I also read about offerings from Micca. Has anyone had any experience with importing speakers?
If you read, this dude just imported a 12 sub for cheap
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/switching-220v-us-import-klipsch-subwoofer-6409790.html

A fun read if you thinking of Sony at $350
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-audiophiliacs-top-10-speakers-from-40-to-400/

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR was retailing at $400 then not sure if You can find them around, USA if you can import just usd$75
http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2014/12/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speakers.html?m=1

Last edited by patryn33; 25-12-2020 at 12:03 AM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 01:39 AM   #19

Which amp are you pairing with?
If you really keen in Bookshelf setup, you can consider
Denon D-M41.

I would suggest opt for a soundbar instead cuz if you are intending
to playback Netflix movies in Dolby surround.
Bookshelf/Hifi like this type of setup, you won't feel the surround effect.

For such setup adding a bass to a setup like this, it only improve bass response.
AVR wise the subwoofer out is called LFE, LFE means this channel is
intended for low frequency like rumble, earthquake, explosion etc.

Totally different Bookshelf is more focus on Stereo Left and Right suitable for music but not movies/videos.
Soundbar/AVR more focus on surround, the sub wise add effects to the surround so not just improve bass.

FYI soundbar have different modes, music, game, movies and etc.
Yamaha, LG and Sony soundbar you can consider.
Go to nearby Harvey Norman bring your favorite music test.
I planned to stick with the internal amp on the AVR for the X250BT 130W per channel should be enough? On the Sony website it states "max input power of 100w". I think after reading more, I would prefer 2.1 or 3.1 setup compared to a soundbar. I doubt I'll be going for the bundle sets that you've been recommending. The rough sentiment I'm getting is that these aren't that good value and I don't mind getting used bookshelf speakers anyways
Old 25-12-2020, 01:41 AM   #20

If you read, this dude just imported a 12” sub for cheap

A fun read if you thinking of Sony at $350

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR was retailing at $400 then not sure if You can find them around, USA if you can import just usd$75
Alright thanks for the info, I guess for any audio equipment I import I'll have to check how the voltage pairs. For those that don't match need to get a transformer for it?
Old 25-12-2020, 02:58 AM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

Alright thanks for the info, I guess for any audio equipment I import I'll have to check how the voltage pairs. For those that don't match need to get a transformer for it?
Passive speaker no voltage for you to check lol
Power speakers, AVR etc you have to check
Really depends on type not anything

If u need to pay for transformer it may cost more than buying locally

https://www.denon.com/en-za/shop/avreceiver/avrx250bt
If you read the specs 130 watt is only when you drive One speaker which is 6 ohm rated. When hook up to 2 speakers 8 ohm rated it goes down. Small room its enough. When you add a center speaker later the power goes down further

If this is around good deal
https://www.carousell.sg/p/denon-avr-x550bt-av-amplifier-1056328818/?

Review on those Sony
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sony-ss-cs5-3-way-speaker-review.13562/

I will go for 152 over the Sony
https://www.carousell.sg/p/infinity-reference-r152-bookshelf-speaker-in-pair-1056049405/?

Last edited by patryn33; 25-12-2020 at 01:04 PM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #22

Seriously I don't get where do you get opinion that this and that
are no good
Denon M41 is a good Hifi with bookshelf.

If you're focus is on saving money or finding the cheapest option
you can find.
AVR isn't suitable for you, you can skimp or find second hand speaker.

I be blunt it's you making all bad decision and recommendation not
from me or anyone.

FYI I am a audio visual technician here so if you think I anyhow recommend
than I am out from here.
Watch you say to me, I feel you are disrespecting me by saying my recommendations is bad.

I do home AV setup so I know which setup as well as for community
and events.
I have handle AVR, Mini hifi, DJ mixing console, mixer etc.
Do you or anyone have vast experience with both consumer and commercial audio visual equipment. No.

You are looking for a AVR with decent speaker under $500 is unrealistic.
can I recommend a Denon mid range with decent floor standing speaker?
I can't it will cost around $2k for a Denon mid range AVR with ELAC
floorstanding speaker.

My Pioneer Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup cost around $2k, $500 to find a decent
amp and speaker is difficult.
Think you browse in Caurosell see what you can find especially if saving money is your primary objective.

BTW I'm out from here but managed your expectations.
Don't expect $100 speaker to perform a mid/high end speaker like phone.
++++
Hence my soundbar / powered speaker recommendation. I also think the MCD 41 is a very good system. I have the MCD 38, and I use it with my LS 50.
I think I've also said my piece. Good luck TS.
My last words, look hard at your wallet, see how much you really want to spend then visit Harvey / Courts first.
Visit Adelphi only if you are willing to spend a lot more than $500.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #23

I'm not sure denon M series is that great. I had m40 amp with the m40 speaker and now I have smsl sa300 powering the same m40 speaker and I think the smsl amp greatly improves the sound of the speaker. When connected to tv via optical I found the denon mini system too warm sounding and many details lost or too soft. Really not good for movie dialog.

I think the denon M series time is over already as others have surpassed it in terms of price for sound quality. I would not recommend it but maybe I'm also not expert.

Last edited by benedium; 25-12-2020 at 12:07 PM..
Old 25-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #24

TS, I PM u already. Can even come my place listen and compare sound quality of my smsl amp plus m39/m40 speakers with my denon x3600h plus elac debut/reference speakers. But must wear mask lah haha
Old 25-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

This is a valid point brought up as some amplifiers do purposely add EQ because that EQ works fine with the speakers they are designed to be paired with.

Or in the case of PS Audio Sprout they add the EQ just to make their amplifier sound different, though I should emphasize that this is the exception and not the norm.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
lxXXxl likes this.
Old 25-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #26

TS, also at your budget only new subwoofer option is wharfedale wh s8e at less than $200
Old 25-12-2020, 02:15 PM   #27

Actually someone on another thread reminded me... I think maybe for your budget no point trying to get sub standard avr and system. Probably just get edifier s350d 2.1 system. There is not hdmi connection but it's a small compromise while u enjoy better sound quality.

So now your options may be either get soundbar for hdmi convenience with huge compromise on sound quality.... or get edifier 2.1 speaker system for best sound quality and no hdmi.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/edifier-s350db-2-1-speaker-system-review.15344

Last edited by benedium; 25-12-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Old 25-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #28

Actually someone on another thread reminded me... I think maybe for your budget no point trying to get sub standard avr and system. Probably just get edifier s350d 2.1 system. There is not hdmi connection but it's a small compromise while u enjoy better sound quality.

So now your options may be either get soundbar for hdmi convenience with huge compromise on sound quality.... or get edifier 2.1 speaker system for best sound quality and no hdmi.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/edifier-s350db-2-1-speaker-system-review.15344
For this TS can fort out 1k plus I rather he buy a very good pair of active 2.0 speakers instead and forget about soundbar pls..
A good 2.0 active speaker can even best out a cheap 2.1 setup or even 5.1 in term sound without sub..
Try to find active 2.0 speaker with sub out in case if TS wanna..
iicecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #29

Try to find active 2.0 speaker with sub out in case if TS wanna..
I thought of this too, eg edifier r1850 plus 8inch subwoofer. But wonder if compatibility and adjustability might be an issue. That's why I thought maybe easiest to just stick with ready made system like s350db?
Old 25-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #30

I be blunt it's you making all bad decision and recommendation not
from me or anyone.

FYI I am a audio visual technician here so if you think I anyhow recommend
than I am out from here.
Watch you say to me, I feel you are disrespecting me by saying my recommendations is bad.

I do home AV setup so I know which setup as well as for community
and events.
I have handle AVR, Mini hifi, DJ mixing console, mixer etc.
Do you or anyone have vast experience with both consumer and commercial audio visual equipment. No.
Alright relax man, all I've said is based on what I read whilst surfing the web. You're free to make recommendations and I'm only asking and replying from what I know. Everyone has their own opinions mah. If I decide against something you recommend and you feel what I'm saying is wrong, you could try to convince me otherwise. Maybe I phrased it wrongly but that wasn't meant to be a personal attack, I'm just saying I don't think I would be getting those sets that you recommended based on what I heard. If you disagree you can try to convince me with more information about your recommendations. Chill lah. "Make love not war"

You are looking for a AVR with decent speaker under $500 is unrealistic.

My Pioneer Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup cost around $2k, $500 to find a decent
amp and speaker is difficult.
Think you browse in Caurosell see what you can find especially if saving money is your primary objective.
Yep I will be looking around Carousell
wwenze likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.