HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2020, 01:18 AM   #1

55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

I'm looking for some recommendations for a 3.1/2.1 Speaker + Receiver + Tv. My budget is ~1k -1.2k for the whole setup. Honestly, I'm still quite new to all of this. I initially considered just getting a brand name (Sony, LG etc) Tv and a soundbar but once I got into reading more I realised that brands such as TCL and Xiaomi are better value and 2.1 systems are alot better than your typical soundbar.

As of now I have narrowed my options down to

TV: Xiaomi 4S TCL C715, initially I also considered the TCL R635 because of all the great reviews I saw for it plus it has a mini led backlight but it seems that model is unavailable in Singapore. Right now I'm leaning towards Xiaomi since it fits more into my budget and I'm not too sure how the support might be from TCL since all I've seen are Carousell sellers importing them.

AVR: Quite clueless on the choice for this or if this is even necessary. 5.1 one would be enough, 3.1 is all I need but I heard 3.1 avrs are hard to come by. I don't intend on ever upgrading from 3.1 since my living room is quite small and one side is completely open and the other side is windows.

Speakers: Ideally I would like a 3.1 setup with bookshelf speakers but if that's too expensive I'll settle for 2.1 with possibility of adding a center in the future.

In the beginning, I was looking on reddit for recommendations but I realised that majority of the models recommended there were hard to ship to SG and at the same time I was worried that the electrical systems might not match properly. Like I said I'm new to all of this and only did abit of research so far. I'm willing to hear any advice or recommendations from any gurus here
crinkypeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Xiaomi 4S Is like $550, leaving $650 for AVR and 2.1 speakers
U open to used?

AVR is like $350 new
https://www.lazada.sg/products/denon-avr-x250bt-51ch-av-surround-receiver-with-bluetooth-i247228967-s382638213.html?

Dude here got a 12 sub overseas for like $380
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/switching-220v-us-import-klipsch-subwoofer-6409790.html#post131449605

If u open to used speakers you can find good deals
https://www.carousell.sg/p/jamo-s606-home-cinema-theater-system-speaker-1056327302/

Last edited by patryn33; 24-12-2020 at 06:36 AM..
patryn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #3

Xiaomi 4S Is like $550, leaving $650 for AVR and 2.1 speakers
U open to used?
Yep I don't mind used speakers, 5.1 might be too much for me because I don't have alot of space in my living room
Old 24-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #4

Yep I don't mind used speakers, 5.1 might be too much for me because I don't have alot of space in my living room
No space and a modest budget?
Get a soundbar instead or a pair of powered speakers like the Klipsch RPM41 or even a HK soundstick.
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Comb for a 3.1 option to show up.
U can start with stereo first and add center and sub later as deals show up. Things come and go
Old 24-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Around $600 can buy pioneer htp-076.
I have no comments about TV at budget price so leave it
to others to comment.
This might just be my impression but wouldn't it be better to get dedicated bookshelf speakers. Speaking from experience in other hobbies, it seems these kinds of "bundle sets" are typically lower quality and just sold to fit a particular need e.g 5.1 system. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though
Old 24-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #7

No space and a modest budget?
Get a soundbar instead or a pair of powered speakers like the Klipsch RPM41 or even a HK soundstick.
I think I would prefer the Klipsch, I like the look of it as well. What would be a good sub/center to look out for in the future to pair with it? Honestly, I'd like to at least start with a 2.1 system
Old 24-12-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think I would prefer the Klipsch, I like the look of it as well. What would be a good sub/center to look out for in the future to pair with it? Honestly, I'd like to at least start with a 2.1 system
Klipsch RPM41 are powers you dont need a AVR to drive
If you want a passive then maybe R-51M
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-51m-bookshelf-speaker

Or JBL A120 or Jamo C 93 II
https://www.jbl.com.sg/loudspeakers/STAGE+A120.html?

Last edited by patryn33; 24-12-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Old 24-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #9

Careful... u have to decide if u are going for av receiver and passive speakers or just powered speaker. Av receiver let's u connect by hdmi and connect other speakers. Powered stereo speakers can be cheaper but less flexible and a bit inconvenient. Passive speakers u can buy 2nd hand but subwoofer best buy new with warranty.

Last edited by benedium; 24-12-2020 at 11:29 AM..
benedium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #10

Klipsch RPM41 are powers you dont need a AVR to drive
If you want a passive then maybe R-51M

Or JBL A120 or Jamo C 93 II
AVR can link up all the devices via ARC and then use one remote via CEC. I assume they also have the benefit of greater expandability. What other benefits are there for getting an AVR? I plan to hook up a few more devices, e.g console, maybe a pc. Also does anyone have experience with hooking up your HT system to your NAS with plex to stream from your own library? Saw some Youtubers doing it and thought it would be quite nice as I have some favourites of mine that I don't expect to stay on streaming services forever and I'd prefer digital storage than using physical media like blu rays etc
wwenze likes this.
Old 24-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #11

Careful... u have to decide if u are going for av receiver and passive speakers or just powered speaker. Av receiver let's u connect by hdmi and connect other speakers. Powered stereo speakers can be cheaper but less flexible and a bit inconvenient. Passive speakers u can buy 2nd hand but subwoofer best buy new with warranty.
What's the implications with subwoofers, are they more likely to get damaged?
wwenze likes this.
Old 24-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #12

Yes correct bundle sets are usually entry/beginner.
Take note soundbar and AVR can use HDMI connection so you
can control both TV and sound system using one remote.

Some Bookshelf speaker use Optical out, you have to individually
control TV and the bookshelf speaker.
I would recommend you to consider a soundbar and AVR.
I thought can just control the speakers via the AVR? Don't soundbars also have built in receivers is it necessary to get another receiver on top of that?
wwenze likes this.
Old 24-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
High Supremacy Member

I thought can just control the speakers via the AVR? Don't soundbars also have built in receivers is it necessary to get another receiver on top of that?
Soundbar and AVR can use HDMI ARC.
Did I type wrongly?
I only mention Bookshelf speaker cannot use HDMI ARC cuz
most are using optical out.
techidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #14

Do you guys reco the 4k TV in Samsung QLED range? Need to replace mine.
karltansg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #15

Do you guys reco the 4k TV in Samsung QLED range? Need to replace mine.
Try asking in the samsung threads in the display section
Cheers
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.