HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Advice for what speakers to get

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Advice for what speakers to get

Guys, noob here.

Moving into a penthouse with an outdoor area of about 600sqf on the top deck. Building up half the area and leave the other half exposed to elements.

Planned to stall a TV and mounted speakers. Was looking at Bose 251 but the 2 speakers with amplifier is $1200.

Any other suggestions and ideas are welcome. TIA.
leo_llw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Best to consult AV vendors like from Adelphi as if it is for outdoor.
You will have to consider outdoor speakers like Bose 251 that
can withstand weather and etc.

Speakers sold in retail shops and etc. when expose to sun/rain it will get
damaged.
What I know for outdoor you will need:

- Speaker that is weather resistant, if you want loud sound
than PA speakers
- Mixer/amplifier so you can hookup multiple devices
as well as have microphone or DJ console installed.
- You need a portable AV rack to store the equipment like amplifier.
This is also for easy storage and portability if you want to keep it
when there is no event/function.
Can just move it inside the house and lock it.

What is best equipment especially pricing, best let vendors quote you.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

https://www.jblonlinestore.com/products/control-x
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #4

Thank you bro techidiot for your inputs. I am also able to install it indoor under the polycarbonate roofing so looking at both outdoor and indoor speakers. The only criteria is to be mounted.

Went to look at Bose because it is recommended by a friend. The store recommended me 251 and said i have to buy the amplifier else there is no power input into the speakers. Housing the amplifier is also a headache.. my ID suggested custom made a mount for it.

If you can recommend me a decent mounted speaker set without those subwoofer/amplifier that would be great.
leo_llw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Thank you bro techidiot for your inputs. I am also able to install it indoor under the polycarbonate roofing so looking at both outdoor and indoor speakers. The only criteria is to be mounted.

Went to look at Bose because it is recommended by a friend. The store recommended me 251 and said i have to buy the amplifier else there is no power input into the speakers. Housing the amplifier is also a headache.. my ID suggested custom made a mount for it.

If you can recommend me a decent mounted speaker set without those subwoofer/amplifier that would be great.
Powered speaker are not recommended for outdoor as well as open area.
To cover a large area not only decent speaker but more power will be required which is why a separate amplifier is required.
If you don't want additional components.
Than you can look at PA system like trolley type.

Amp are build in, if you want to use it can just push it out of storage.
You can Google for AV vendors for more opinion like AV science, AV media amd etc.
They don't sell BOSE speaker but other brands which maybe cheaper than BOSE.

Last edited by techidiot; 03-10-2019 at 07:39 AM..
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Just guessing here but... Playing in the open will probably require ability to play at higher volume to compete with outside sounds and wind. Size will matter. Even indoors, small speakers already lack bass. Outdoor use will be much much worse. So maybe its either use a big one or many small ones spread out evenly over entire area. Using big active one/pair will probably be easier with brands like mackie and other commonly used outdoor PA speakers and won't require separate amp. Using many small speakers will require special amp or receiver. So if I'm not wrong u should get the big ones which u can leave at a sheltered area on the roof. Can easily cover with plastic when not using to protect from rain and splashing. Plus it's much more cost effective.

Last edited by benedium; 03-10-2019 at 03:21 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Any electrical appliance can survive outdoors for some amount of time, even people bringing their computers and plasma screens outside.

How long it can survive, however, is what makes weather-resistant equipment different from indoor ones.

Public-address / Pro-audio speakers do not immediately mean they are weather-resistant. In fact you should assume speakers are not weather-resistant unless explicitly specified.

If you can protect a TV, you probably have ways to protect speakers. So the exact implementation is up to you.

Weather-resistance goes beyond preventing it for getting drenched in water. The product needs to survive humidity, sunlight and heat. This means no wood enclosure, no rustable metal, no cheap plastic. Grille covering tweeter and woofer. Material choice of tweeter and woofer is also important as many will rot quickly.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
High Supremacy Member

Just guessing here but... Playing in the open will probably require ability to play at higher volume to compete with outside sounds and wind. Size will matter. Even indoors, small speakers already lack bass. Outdoor use will be much much worse. So maybe its either use a big one or many small ones spread out evenly over entire area. Using big active one/pair will probably be easier with brands like mackie and other commonly used outdoor PA speakers and won't require separate amp. Using many small speakers will require special amp or receiver. So if I'm not wrong u should get the big ones which u can leave at a sheltered area on the roof. Can easily cover with plastic when not using to protect from rain and splashing. Plus it's much more cost effective.
Open area usually the bigger the better, weather resistant isn't a must
especially if the setup is movable type.
You can position in sheltered areas that is why I suggest those
can be move.

Sony themselves also have such speaker.

I make suggestion that is intended for long run rather than short term.

Above speaker I am not a fan as such series emphasis on bass than clarity.
Open area another factor is the crowd, if you have lots of people than you need a bigger speaker so everyone can hear.

Making suggestion here is hard since no one knows big the area is
and what is it for.
PS hope this is a discussion for all to share and discuss.

No one here is right or wrong even myself.
Cheers.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #9

So cool to have outdoor home theatre. Great for parties. Wwenze's JBL recommendation should be cheaper and better value than the Bose. Wouldn't a subwoofer be good to have? Not sure how big u need to be effective in open area though. U may wanna factor in space for that if u are building up the area, even if u dont get it yet for now.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
High Supremacy Member

Subwoofer is not necessary for outdoor setup but unless you need
the extra thump.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #11

Bro think we all know what subwoofer is for leh. Just wanna know how much it can improve bass for outdoor compared to indoor.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

Bro think we all know what subwoofer is for leh. Just wanna know how much it can improve bass for outdoor compared to indoor.
Err... Really depend on many factors unlike indoor or setup with subs.
- EQ of the setup
- Track, if track have little bass or soft bass than it won't be noticeable

Rave parties usually have sub install as well as EQ. Also dependent on the driver which is the DJ.
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #13

Haha think u don't understand what I am asking. Nevermind. Hope those who know can answer instead.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Oh techidiot sorry I am the one who misunderstood what u said. So u mean to say if the track has soft bass it will be inaudible. Then i guess that means for outdoor use subwoofer may not be cost effective. Maybe have to buy very big subwoofer if wanna use outdoor.

Last edited by benedium; 05-10-2019 at 02:15 PM..
Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

Don't think too hard. Bass is bass.

It's not like when u play a music or watch a movie outdoors, it automatically downloads a "for outdoor use edition" for you.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.