Which bluray player?

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
There are cheaper players from LG and Sony...

impossible. xbox one s is the cheapest 4K Blu-ray player that one can get which is capable of playing UHD blu-rays.

during promotion time, it can cost as low as $299 or below. dun think any standalone UHD blu-rays player that can compete with this kind of pricing.

petetherock

Reaction score
impossible. xbox one s is the cheapest 4K Blu-ray player that one can get which is capable of playing UHD blu-rays.

during promotion time, it can cost as low as $299 or below. dun think any standalone UHD blu-rays player that can compete with this kind of pricing.
Since you’re comparing sale prices
The x700 goes down to as low as $275
You just need to look out for it

hereiam7788

Master Member
Reaction score
Since you’re comparing sale prices
The x700 goes down to as low as $275
You just need to look out for it

but looking at CP value, xbox one s will certainly draw much better values for what you play for. if one buys a standalone blu-ray player, you can only play blu-ray discs, while xbox one s can allow you can to play games and also a lot more.

illumnae

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 4k uhd bluray player for my home theater that uses an avr and separate speaker setup. My bluray discs are all purchased from US/SG so region free for bluray is not essential, but my wife still has some old DVDs so region free DVD playback is a bonus. Not really interested in music so I don't need sacd support.

What would be a good unit for me to purchase? So far on this thread I've seen the Sony X700 and X800m2, and Pioneer UX500. I also came across the Panasonic DP-UB420 on Amazon.sg at a similar price to the Sont X800m2.

Thanks!

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Despite Xbox X is a one of the choice but after you buy, you
have to install the Blu ray app before you can play any
Blu ray disc.
(*Things may have change I do not know since my last
Xbox was some thing back.)

Dedicated player will have better picture and sound.
Not to mention dedicated media buttons while
console like Xbox.

You have to use the game controller to control playback.
Cheapest as of now is Sony UBP-X700 under $3XX.
Cheaper than that would be standard blu ray player without 4K UHD.

Haman

Reaction score
What do you classify as a high end TV?
Most top shelf models have a better video processor than the players. The advantage of the LX 500 is it plays music well and it can send a pure signal for the video chip in the TV to process.
Hi, is there a setting in player or high end TV that can be toggled to let TV to do the video processing or is it automated? Thanks.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Despite Xbox X is a one of the choice but after you buy, you
have to install the Blu ray app before you can play any
Blu ray disc.
(*Things may have change I do not know since my last
Xbox was some thing back.)

Dedicated player will have better picture and sound.
Not to mention dedicated media buttons while
console like Xbox.

You have to use the game controller to control playback.
Cheapest as of now is Sony UBP-X700 under $3XX.
Cheaper than that would be standard blu ray player without 4K UHD.

These standard blu-ray players w/o 4K UHD... they play BR discs at Full HD is it?

cracker

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thx to all the contributions here , after reading all the various comments here and other forums; plus comparisons of features; decided to buy the x700 as it was going below $300.

good unit!

petetherock

Reaction score
thx to all the contributions here , after reading all the various comments here and other forums; plus comparisons of features; decided to buy the x700 as it was going below $300.

good unit!
Can you share the link if possible?

petetherock

Reaction score
Hi, if player is connected to AVR by HDMI, and AVR to TV, it is still the same practice of toggling to 'direct' mode in player? Thanks.

Please check the manual of your specific AVR and tv for the exact way to avoid further video processing
If you are using a basic setup or a small screen it may be moot

Haman

Reaction score
Please check the manual of your specific AVR and tv for the exact way to avoid further video processing
If you are using a basic setup or a small screen it may be moot
I'm using a Panny 55"EZ950, with a Denon X3500H but a 10 yo Panny BR player DMP-BD60 for playing DVD and BR, Xbox one S for my 4K BR. I was not able to find this direct mode in my player though. On my AVR, I have disabled both Video conversion and i/p conversions. Does X700 has this direct mode? Thanks.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

petetherock

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.