HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bookshelf Speakers chat

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #91

If u talking about feet to put between bookshelf speakers and stands then I recommend simple rubber feet. Small and flat surface better than round semi circle ones. Small is to have minimum contact to speaker and stand. Flat surface is to provide more resistance to micro lateral movement caused speaker drivers. May help speakers sound more precise and textured. Maybe that's why if u buy speaker stands they usually come with rubber feet to put on the stand top plate.

From daiso... The earthquake gel I feel is no good. Seems to mess up timing of sounds. I tried cork before also so so only. After many months of trying I decided small rubber feet is best and cheap and easy to use. Spike should be good although more expensive but I dont wanna have glue on speaker bottom.

Last edited by benedium; 24-07-2020 at 01:38 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 03:20 PM   #92
Supremacy Member

If u talking about feet to put between bookshelf speakers and stands then I recommend simple rubber feet. Small and flat surface better than round semi circle ones. Small is to have minimum contact to speaker and stand. Flat surface is to provide more resistance to micro lateral movement caused speaker drivers. May help speakers sound more precise and textured. Maybe that's why if u buy speaker stands they usually come with rubber feet to put on the stand top plate.

From daiso... The earthquake gel I feel is no good. Seems to mess up timing of sounds. I tried cork before also so so only. After many months of trying I decided small rubber feet is best and cheap and easy to use. Spike should be good although more expensive but I dont wanna have glue on speaker bottom.
Okie. Thanks.

Am at Sim Lim tower, looking for these spikes.
Saw a shop selling palic spike $16 per pic. And their palic y spade $10.80.

Popped into a cable shop and owner recommend to me use coaxial cable for speaker. So any diff between coaxial and regular copper cable?
I see the coaxial core is so thin.
Quite stun cos all along I thought speaker use those copper cable.

Last edited by hmsweethm; 24-07-2020 at 03:23 PM..
hmsweethm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #93

I only visit LHS at sim lim tower. Nice people there.
Old 24-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #94
Supremacy Member

I only visit LHS at sim lim tower. Nice people there.
Is coaxial cable better than copper cable for spks?
Old 24-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #95

Dont think so bah. Think coaxial is for signal only and have shielding to prevent noise or interference. Not for passive speakers lah. I pm u pls chk
Old 24-07-2020, 04:09 PM   #96
Supremacy Member

Dont think so bah. Think coaxial is for signal only and have shielding to prevent noise or interference. Not for passive speakers lah. I pm u pls chk
Okie thanks man!!!
Old 27-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #97

Hello all, looking for a little advice from you guys again. Are there any differences in audio quality between using the 3.5mm jack vs USB A for active speakers when connected to let's say a desktop/ laptop setup?

My understanding is that I'm utilizing the inbuilt DAC of my computer system when connected using the 3.5mm jack, and if connected via USB it will be pure digital signal that goes through the active speaker's amp? If my line of thought is accurate, I should be use the USB connection to fully utilize the active speakers I purchased? Many thanks for your guidance.
SMLeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #98
High Supremacy Member

Are there any differences in audio quality between using the 3.5mm jack vs USB A for active speakers
Measurable, audible, or magical?

Depends on what speaker.
Old 27-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #99
High Supremacy Member

Is coaxial cable better than copper cable for spks?
Copper is material
Coaxial is construction type / form factor
Coaxial are usually made of a copper center conductor like most wires. Shield can be made of whatever
Going one step deeper, there are also cable standards, like RG6 for example is a coaxial with 75 ohm characteristic impedance. (Worth noting is that cheaper RG6 use copper-clad steel for the center conductor)

Or in other words, question is invalid

Coaxial is more expensive than just 2 bare wires and there is no advantage using it for speakers. Doesn't mean you can't, tho. As long as DCR is low enough, and RG6 has pretty decent DCR. Proper cable manufacturers like Belden and Canare have datasheet available.
https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/...A_techdata.pdf
Old 27-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #100

Measurable, audible, or magical?

Depends on what speaker.
Hahaha I've read about the cable saga and have no wish to recreate another scene like that.

I'm more inclined towards dealing with factual statistics that can actually be seen. The speakers in question are the Edifier S3000 Pros, for which I really appreciate your review of it (probably should have gotten the s2000 pros for my desk, but they were out of stock and the 3000s were on sale for a price that would hit your 4.5 score requirement).

Can't resist the opportunity to ask another question: As I recall, you also posted a tip about placing a piece of paper between the $2 daiso earthquake gel and the speaker in another thread. Is it just for aesthetics (to avoid the speaker base discolouration after removing the gel in the future) or are there other considerations too?

Keen to hear about what you have to say about the 3.5mm jack vs USB topic, and any additional thoughts about the Edifiers are welcome too!
Old 27-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #101
High Supremacy Member

The paper is for aesthetics. Yea.

The thing with USB is that early (and cheaper) speakers are limited to 16-bit / 48kHz max, usually just a simple low-cost all-in-one USB DAC chip, in which case onboard sound usually has better performance. 24-bit/96kHz has advantages when you use volume control or playing multiple sounds at once.

Newer USBs interfaces can do better than onboard sound e.g. 32-bit/384kHz and DSD support, and that's just the USB interface part. The DAC part usually has a somewhat decent DAC that is definitely better than onboard sound. In the case of Edifier however, since the amp stage accepts a digital input, so by using USB or SPDIF you can skip the analogue stage entirely. Imagine having a perfect DAC plus a perfect ADC.

However, not everyone may like USB. For example if your computer has high DPC latency, you can get stuttering once in a while. My case is more weird - Since I also record videos, the data goes to the USB soundcard, and then goes back to the system, sometimes that causes stuttering. Onboard sound is connected to the CPU via the more reliable PCI-E interface.

SPDIF coax/optical may seem to combine the best of both worlds, with onboard / soundcard reliability and processing power connected via a dedicated audio digital interface. However jitter is higher than USB, max bitrate is lower than USB. It also has the special advantage of ground isolation which can be a treasure at times, but in this particular Edifier's case since the amp circuitry is digital there is no chance of analog noise leaking from the connection to computer.

So end of the day is case-by-case. Theoretical best performance is USB. Most chance of screwing up is also USB. Analog is the direct opposite.
SMLeir likes this.
Old 28-07-2020, 12:08 AM   #102

Thank you @wwenze so much for the detailed write-up and answering my "earthquake gel" question!

Enjoyed the sharing of your experience with the USB - soundcard - stuttering issue, it is only possible to learn about these kind of end-user issues through platforms like this. The part about coaxial cables having ground isolation is a valuable tip, but also makes me paranoid if my macbook will fry the speakers (or vice versa) when connected via USB/ 3.5mm during thunderstorm blackouts

The popping/ crackling from plugging and unplugging of the 3.5mm connector always concerned me if it would blow out a woofer/ tweeter, so I'll take this opportunity to switch over to USB and see how it goes!
Old 28-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #103
High Supremacy Member

A 3.5mm connector plugging in/out cannot boom more than the amount of DC that is being blocked by the capacitor. With most soundcards and onboard sound this is usually 2.5V or less since this needs to be the midpoint of the voltage swing when powered by a single +5Vcc. Most onboard sound can't reproduce the 2Vrms redbook standard due to this same Vcc limitation.

Or in other words, the boom is not loud enough to do any damage to the speaker.
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 01:15 AM   #104

Hello all, looking for a little advice from you guys again. Are there any differences in audio quality between using the 3.5mm jack vs USB A for active speakers when connected to let's say a desktop/ laptop setup?

My understanding is that I'm utilizing the inbuilt DAC of my computer system when connected using the 3.5mm jack, and if connected via USB it will be pure digital signal that goes through the active speaker's amp? If my line of thought is accurate, I should be use the USB connection to fully utilize the active speakers I purchased? Many thanks for your guidance.
Always prefer stuff to be seggregated, especially electronic items, hence would suggest you get a standalone DAC and output the DAC via balance connection to your speaker.

Again not a huge fan of BT connections but since you already own that speaker and is happy with it i think this would be fine.

Again, if you are using PC as the source, your mediaplayer and output software will affect the SQ. I'm using foobar2k with asio4all (http://www.asio4all.org/)

Again, the output depends on the quality of the input therefore if you're playing low quality mp3s then you can just stick to the current setup, no point fixing 1 place while being bottle neck elsewhere.

Cheers!
SMLeir likes this.

- Pr3c!si0n r00s A1L -
M4tchb0X_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #105
Supremacy Member

suddenly we have such specific thread going on lol...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.