HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dolby Atmos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 AM   #1
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dolby Atmos

Is Dolby Atmos actually worth the trouble? Do any of you guys have it? What's your take?

I was advised to do up a 5.1.2 with the 2 being in ceiling speakers. But the missus isn't too keen on punching 2 holes in the false ceiling.

I can explore adding those upwards pointing speakers instead for the atmos but i read those ain't as effective as the ceiling types.

Any inputs will be appreciated.
drkcynic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #2

TS - there's a whole ton of info out there, and some recent threads here on it
So try and have a search first and see where others have posted about their efforts.
There aren't as many people in HWZ who do this - it's a world of bluetooth, soundbars etc..

Some links:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...topic=174199.0

Good luck

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...tup-42019.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

I had Dolby Atmos receiver with exciters in 5.1.2 configuration. During renovation, speakers sockets are installed at ceiling and rear wall, so there are full surround with ceiling speakers. The sound effects are phenomenal with better surround effect. Using a laser projector on 100 screen makes it a cinematic experience.
Alphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

I had Dolby Atmos receiver with exciters in 5.1.2 configuration. During renovation, speakers sockets are installed at ceiling and rear wall, so there are full surround with ceiling speakers. The sound effects are phenomenal with better surround effect. Using a laser projector on 100 screen makes it a cinematic experience.
Great, thanks for relating your experience.

I have a question. When you activate those .2s in ceiling when you are watching say football or a normal non-dolby atmos movie off a mio box, does it make a difference?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

TS - there's a whole ton of info out there, and some recent threads here on it
So try and have a search first and see where others have posted about their efforts.
There aren't as many people in HWZ who do this - it's a world of bluetooth, soundbars etc..

Some links:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup-guide.html

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/in...topic=174199.0

Good luck
Thanks alot I'll have a read.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #6

Great, thanks for relating your experience.

I have a question. When you activate those .2s in ceiling when you are watching say football or a normal non-dolby atmos movie off a mio box, does it make a difference?
If you are going to 3D sound, please use real high quality sources.
Otherwise save your money.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...tup-42019.html
Old 09-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you are going to 3D sound, please use real high quality sources.
Otherwise save your money.
Not to that extent actually as I would like to keep to a budget. I am actually going for satelites for my 5.1 as I am not willing to clutter my living area with anything bigger. A SB2000 is my limit as far as size is concerned.

I have auditioned the SVS 5.1s and I think it's the best out of at least 5 different sets I have tried. The 0.2s are sort of add-ons which are good to have and within my budget so I am exploring if they are of any good. If they add to the sound of my football matches and cable tvs then all the merrier if not i guess i won't pursue further for now.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #8

I just got Kef R8a for testing they aren't cheap though

Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

Read the links provided by petetherock and realised the ceiling fan affects the upwards pointing atmos speakers so they might not be a good option.

SVS seems to have a range of elevation speakers that is mounted between the wall and ceiling pointing down so I might explore that option.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #10

Read the links provided by petetherock and realised the ceiling fan affects the upwards pointing atmos speakers so they might not be a good option.

SVS seems to have a range of elevation speakers that is mounted between the wall and ceiling pointing down so I might explore that option.
Well i don't have ceiling fans only aircon so it doesn't affect me
Old 11-08-2019, 12:45 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Well i don't have ceiling fans only aircon so it doesn't affect me
I know that's why you have it. Though it's not a good option for me.

So how is the effect?
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 AM   #12

So how is the effect?
The effect were not bad but it greatly depend on the scene of the movie tried with tomb raider,black panther,avenger endgame and Alita battle angel

For tomb raider will be at the wave hitting the ship causing shipwreck scene...the forest running part only add the forest spaciousness for soundstage

black panther will be korea scene and the ending ship fly around scene

endgame will be the final battle scene thing flying around

Alita will be the fighting scene and the motorball scene the fingers shoot out scene cutting all alita limbs the atmos audio ultilize quite weak

anyways i in the process of testing
Old 11-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #13

So how is the effect?
You already said that you wont be playing Atmos material and will be using basic low resolution lossy programs. What are your expectations?
You may want to go to Adelphi and bring the kind of tracks you use and listen..
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

You already said that you wont be playing Atmos material and will be using basic low resolution lossy programs. What are your expectations?
You may want to go to Adelphi and bring the kind of tracks you use and listen..
Oh sorry if I misread you earlier. I will be sourcing for better sources of course. I think that will come slightly later. Things like netflix offering atmos movies and blu ray movies are what I will be trying to go for after getting the 5.1.2 setup in place.

But i guess 80-90% of the time I will be on normal cable tv, youtube for the kids etc. I have a young family so in terms of spare time that's the best I can do for now.

That's why I wanted to find out if the additional Atmos speakers 0.2s add to the experience even with crappy sources because if they do, even abit, that will be a plus point to get them.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

The effect were not bad but it greatly depend on the scene of the movie tried with tomb raider,black panther,avenger endgame and Alita battle angel

For tomb raider will be at the wave hitting the ship causing shipwreck scene...the forest running part only add the forest spaciousness for soundstage

black panther will be korea scene and the ending ship fly around scene

endgame will be the final battle scene thing flying around

Alita will be the fighting scene and the motorball scene the fingers shoot out scene cutting all alita limbs the atmos audio ultilize quite weak

anyways i in the process of testing
Sounds good. When I went for audition it seems like for movies which I had watched before, sounds which were never apparent in the past, became more apparent. They really add to the experience.

Granted I tested them only in the 5.1s setup and in a professional setting. So am trying to find out general home users' experiences especially with the additional atmos.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.