HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is Dolby TrueHD/Atmos the best sound format? What about DTS? | Best media format Video rental in SG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Post Is Dolby TrueHD/Atmos the best sound format? What about DTS? | Best media format Video rental in SG

Note: No discussion about download contents or rips like blu ray and etc.
Hope to encourage use of legit media especially for those who
invest a lot on their TV and sound system.

Is Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos the best?

Some may think Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos is the best surround format today.
However that isn't true especially for those who download movies
whether rip blu ray or torrent movies.

Firstly I am not a fan of such downloaded contents, these are compressed videos and rip quality could be poor depending on the rip method.
Not to mention bitrate as compared with blu ray disc is vastly different
especially the sound.

Legit fuss free method for digital copies would be through Apple TV or Apple devices like iPad. Google play movies doesn't support Dolby atmos but Dolby Digital only.

Sadly here in SG, blu ray copies doesn't come with digital copies unlike those sold in US.
Now for those who think Dolby TrueHD/Atmos is the best, I doubt anyone
have heard movies in DTS-HD/DTS-X.

I am a fan of DTS the sound is vastly more superior than Dolby especially the detail.
Take note surround format of the film is still dependent on the film, meaning some films are either Dolby Atmos while some are in DTS.

Example would be The Fate Of the furious in DTS-X, the soundtrack is impressive. I am using AVR receiver with 5.1.2 speaker setup so to me blu ray disc is the best format for me.

So not all films are in Dolby Atmos and that doesn't mean without Atmos means the sound sucks.
Old 15-04-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Blu ray disc so expensive, I can download for free save $

Majority prefer to download favorite movies mainly as it is free.
But there are:

Digital Video rental service through Apple TV/Google Play

Per rental is about $5 or so so. However some titles may not be available
for rental.

Video rental services

Only one video rental shop exist which is Rida Video Center @ 587 Bukit Timah Rd, #02-17 Coronation Shopping Plaza

In the past there is video ezy but it closed many years back.
Per rental is about $7 or so but most of the blu ray are imported from US.
US blu ray are much better than local blu ray but they can be pricey
depending on the title.

The downside between video rental and digital rental is that certain titles are not available on physical disc.
Example of films like Blockers, Kingsmen Golden circle and etc. physical disc are banned from sales.

Heard from Rida was as SG censorship is very strict, blu ray disc contain extra like trailer, bonus content and etc. Even if the movie have been cleared but the extra contents doesn't meet IMDA regulations than that film cannot be sold.

To me they shouldn't classified it this way, firstly most will not bother about trailer or bonus content. Movies like blockers and etc. sadly either you have to buy digital copies or import the blu ray from US.

A copy of blu ray disc cost about $59.90 for 4K UHD and blu ray about $39.90. In this era I know some would buy DVD version at $19.90 but the video and sound would be terrible.

So if you wish to save $ can opt for rental but between digital rental and blu ray. Blu ray disc still wins over digital rental.
For those who invest a lot in your home theater, OLED TV, Dolby Atmos soundbar and etc.

Why save on the content? One saying: " Trash in, trash out."
Old 15-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Blu ray disc so expensive, I can download for free save $

Majority prefer to download favorite movies mainly as it is free.
But there are:

Digital Video rental service through Apple TV/Google Play

Per rental is about $5 or so so. However some titles may not be available
for rental.

Video rental services
So if you wish to save $ can opt for rental but between digital rental and blu ray. Blu ray disc still wins over digital rental.
For those who invest a lot in your home theater, OLED TV, Dolby Atmos soundbar and etc.

Why save on the content? One saying: " Trash in, trash out."
I think other than what you have mentioned, legitimate Streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are actually the main stream methods that people can get 4K contents legitimately. They may not be as good as the Blu-ray disks but they do make your OLED TV, your home theatre, your Dolby Atmos soundbar to good use.

For Netflix, Samsung and LG smart TV, Sony Android TV, Apple TV 4K and Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K do support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/42384
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Amazon Prime Video device requirements are a bit confusing. And it is said that you can not use Amazon Prime Singapore account on the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Still you get Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos if using LG smart TV.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201460880

It is said in another thread that the Dolby Atmos delivery in this streaming service is not the lossless Dolby TrueHD though but rather the lossy Dolby DD+.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...s-6026351.html

BTW, I am not so sure whether the digital rental services from Apple and Google have Dolby Vision support or not.

Last edited by xiaofan; 15-04-2019 at 11:16 AM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

BTW, I am not so sure whether the digital rental services from Apple and Google have Dolby Vision support or not.
Looks like iTune Store contents do support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for certain contents.
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT207949

Google Play Movie Store does not support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos yet.

https://support.google.com/googlepla.../7184994?hl=en

It seems to me the digital rental services are no better than Streaming services like Netflix.

On a separate note, Samsung 2018/2019 models will gain iTune movies and TV series access, similar to Apple TV 4k.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/11/samsu...pps-airplay-2/

LG smart TV wins on support of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video content. Samsung TV only supports Dolby Vision for Netflix content but no Dolby Atmos. It only support Dolby Atmos for Amazon content but it does support HDR10+ for Amazon contents.

Both Samsung QLED Smart TV (2018 models and newer) and LG OLED Smart TV (2017 models and newer) will be the best streaming media playing device if you are keen at using single device for the streaming media consumption for best performance possibly achieved by single device.

But you may still need to add other device for even better experiences, like a UHD Blu-ray disk player.

You may also want to add device like Chromecast Ultra dongle, Mi Box S or better Nvidia Shield TV to compensate the deficiency in the apps side where Android TV OS is better than Samsung Tizen OS and LG WebOS.

Sony Android Smart OLED TV (2018 or newer) is also very good in terms of Netflix (Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos) but lose out on Amazon content. It wins on the apps though and it has built in Chromecast function.

Last edited by xiaofan; 15-04-2019 at 07:38 PM..
Old 15-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

It is good info but there are still large group of people only interested got sound got picture , is already ok.

Example comes across people like to watch movies on their tiny 13 inch notebook screen and audio from their tiny speaker of their notebook.

Local normal blu ray is selling at about S$39.90 per movie...killer price...even those new 4k movie blu ray is price rocket high , example Aquaman , think is selling S$69.90!!! Most of the others 4k movies blu ray is selling about S$59.90
Norman Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

It is good info but there are still large group of people only interested got sound got picture , is already ok.

Example comes across people like to watch movies on their tiny 13 inch notebook screen and audio from their tiny speaker of their notebook.

Local normal blu ray is selling at about S$39.90 per movie...killer price...even those new 4k movie blu ray is price rocket high , example Aquaman , think is selling S$69.90!!! Most of the others 4k movies blu ray is selling about S$59.90
https://www.straitstimes.com/lifesty...-cuts-the-cord

Streaming services like Netflix are gaining popularity. That is why Starhub has Starhub Go and SingTel has SingTel Cast.

For VOD I think alternative services are good enough now for many people. Netflix has better quality contents like 4K than SingTel TV and Starhub Fibre TV anyway. The subscription cost is not that high either -- S$14 for Netflix Standard ( HD) and S$17 for Netflix Premium (UHD).

For live TV, only Starhub Go Family and some SingTel Cast packs have live TV so it is a bit lacking here.

Following website has a good summary of streaming service options in Singapore.
https://www.finder.com/sg/internet-tv

So in the end, Blu-ray disk will be a nichie product only for people who really want the best video/audio experiences.

And no need to go for piracy like torrent.

Last edited by xiaofan; 15-04-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Old 15-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

I have a tidy library of bluray movies accumulated mostly during the free amazon shipping to sg era, and honestly I cannot hear the difference. Both DTSMA and Dolby TrueHD are lossless formats that decodes into PCM streams .. any meaningful comparison is made more difficult since they are on separate titles so that itself is a confounder. just sit back and enjoy

I have netflix, but the multi channels still sounds too thin and rarefied compared to bluray loseless channels. But that is already a positive step than to have stereo converted by some dts:neo prologic into multichannel voodoo.

For good movies that are worth rewatching, I will still consider buying the bluray.
RyanJosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #8

I have a tidy library of bluray movies accumulated mostly during the free amazon shipping to sg era, and honestly I cannot hear the difference. Both DTSMA and Dolby TrueHD are lossless formats that decodes into PCM streams .. any meaningful comparison is made more difficult since they are on separate titles so that itself is a confounder. just sit back and enjoy

I have netflix, but the multi channels still sounds too thin and rarefied compared to bluray loseless channels. But that is already a positive step than to have stereo converted by some dts:neo prologic into multichannel voodoo.

For good movies that are worth rewatching, I will still consider buying the bluray.

Looks like DTS HD MA /DTS:X and Dolby TrueHD/Dolby ATMOS are both popular on the Blu-ray disks. So probably they are equally good.

However for streaming service, it is only Dolby Atmos now, no DTS:X.

So apparently Dolby Atmos is more popular.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolb...can-you-get-it

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dtsx...can-you-get-it
Old 15-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #9

Looks like DTS HD MA /DTS:X and Dolby TrueHD/Dolby ATMOS are both popular on the Blu-ray disks. So probably they are equally good.

However for streaming service, it is only Dolby Atmos now, no DTS:X.

So apparently Dolby Atmos is more popular.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolb...can-you-get-it

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dtsx...can-you-get-it
That's because the first two are lossless formats.
Atmos can be a lossy format.
DTS X is far less popular and even fewer budget systems like soundbars support it. Right now, Atmos is winning the 3D surround battle hands down.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019...tup-42019.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

Dolby to Restrict Non-Native Upmixing on Atmos Based Products
Old 16-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

If want to fully enjoy the audio , still a blu ray disc win.
Norman Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

unfortunately media is dying. 4k bluray might just be the last hurrah

Last edited by RyanJosie; 16-04-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Old 16-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #13

Physical media will still have its place, albeit in a niche.

For music, you can see CD, vinyl and even cassettes are still alive even though most people go for digital streaming/download services like Apple Music or Spotify or QQ music, and use mobile phone or DAP.

For video, I think DVD and Blu-ray will still be there for quite some time even though streaming services will be the main stream.
Old 16-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #14

EDIT: I can confirm DTS:X makes use of my current front Dolby upfiring speakers for now. Thankfully. It was only the old movie that even though is in DTS:X codec, did not have any information for height. Thus why the 7.1 audio output can only make use of the 5.1 speakers.

You are not wrong here. For me personally, it is bad advice to ask someone to buy a 4K BluRay player now but I LOVE the Panasonic UHD BD player. It has the same colour processing chip as its TVs. Thus videos look amazing.

But.... HDMI 2.1 allowing for full colour reproduction of 4K content means.... 4K content will have to be remastered. Meaning you will need a new BluRay player that is able to receive the new 4:4:4 chroma subsampling instead of the current BT2020 or 4:2:2. Plus, HDR can go up to 12 bits on 4K from the current 10bit HDR.

You will need a new BluRay player and 4K BluRays to receive the full benefit of Home Theatre experience with your new HDMI 2.1 included 2019/2020 4K/8K TV. This current HDMI 2.0 limited bandwidth era is coming to an end. Not worth investing in one now and just wait for the new versions all round.

As per normal, those who are not aware of the big leap in technological improvement in HDMI 2.1 will say, "Aiya.. Every few years HDMI got new version. We only got from 8Gbps to 18Gbps throughout HDMI's small incremental improvements. Only now did we get a chance to get 48Gbps running through the HDMI pipes. We were severely hindered by HDMI all this while. That is why until HDMI 2.1 came in, we could have gotten an 8K TV sooner. And now, we will. But I advice against it as current 8K TVs are of 1st generation with 1st generation premium prices.

Last edited by LiLAsN; 16-04-2019 at 09:00 PM..
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #15

Look at it this way bro - The most significant advantage of Dolby Vision HDR versus HDR10 is the addition of dynamic metadata to the core HDR image data. ... This means that a Dolby Vision-enabled Ultra HD Blu-ray can also play back in HDR10 on TVs that only support that format.
sunstarsunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.