HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Elac Debut Reference DBR62 manufacturing flaw

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Elac Debut Reference DBR62 manufacturing flaw

Just got my Elac DBR62 from Alpha Audio at Adelphi.

Was very happy to bring it back home and my friend was very kind to send me back. But while unboxing I was shocked to find the cloth protective bag stuck to the logo panel of the speaker.

So I pulled slowly but firmly and found that some of the paint or dye had melted on the white protective bag and the logo panel on the speaker had was covered in the white fibers of the bag.

I was super upset and disappointed of cos and called Richard at Alpha Audio immediately.

After whatsapping him the images of my unit, he told me oh it's normal and that their display unit also has some fine fiber stuck on its logo panel. He even showed me the photo.

Then I told him its unacceptable. As this is as good as a damaged item. But he said I am the only customer to complain about this.

Anyway I told him I would like to exchange for a new one and was relieved when he finally gave in and said ok.

When I went the next day again with the help of my friend driving again, Richard gave me a new box to open right there at the store. Unfortunately the new unit was also the same with the white cloth bag stuck to the speaker logo panel.

By then I already kind of lowered my expectation of the elac product quality. So I just accepted the new unit and took it home.

But now when I think about it, I am disappointed that Alpha Audio did not compensate me with a small discount for the cosmetically damaged goods as even after removing all the fibers can still see the finish of the logo panel is a bit patchy or irregular under good lighting.

I'm not sure if this problem is because of manufacturing flaw or because of covid delay in shipment. If so will there be other damage in the speaker I won't know about yet?

I share my experience with everyone so they wont feel cheated if they want to buy this speaker. I strongly suggest everyone open the new box at the shop to know what they are getting.

Richard has told me he will speak to Elac about this but maybe I should write in to them as well.

Last edited by benedium; 30-07-2020 at 09:40 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #2

Just realised maybe this is the reason why someone sold the white one on carousell for only $550. Huge loss siah.
Old 30-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #3

What kind of damage was it? I'm curious to see. Can you provide some pictures?
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #4

For those interested in Elac speakers, please remember to open the box and check at the store so u won't have come back again.
Old 30-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #5

What kind of damage was it? I'm curious to see. Can you provide some pictures?
I dunno how to post pics. Can show u if u WhatsApp me. PM u liao.

Last edited by benedium; 30-07-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Old 30-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

i rem one of the reviewers mentioned this, good thing is cosmetic??? possibly remedy with "torch gun"?

my friend's elac navis had glue issues too, i had to use alcohol to rub it off.

Last edited by jedi5diah; 30-07-2020 at 09:59 PM..
jedi5diah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Just got my Elac DBR62 from Alpha Audio at Adelphi.

Was very happy to bring it back home and my friend was very kind to send me back. But while unboxing I was shocked to find the cloth protective bag stuck to the logo panel of the speaker.

So I pulled slowly but firmly and found that some of the paint or dye had melted on the white protective bag and the logo panel on the speaker had was covered in the white fibers of the bag.

I was super upset and disappointed of cos and called Richard at Alpha Audio immediately.

After whatsapping him the images of my unit, he told me oh it's normal and that their display unit also has some fine fiber stuck on its logo panel. He even showed me the photo.

Then I told him its unacceptable. As this is as good as a damaged item. But he said I am the only customer to complain about this.

Anyway I told him I would like to exchange for a new one and was relieved when he finally gave in and said ok.

When I went the next day again with the help of my friend driving again, Richard gave me a new box to open right there at the store. Unfortunately the new unit was also the same with the white cloth bag stuck to the speaker logo panel.

By then I already kind of lowered my expectation of the elac product quality. So I just accepted the new unit and took it home.

But now when I think about it, I am disappointed that Alpha Audio did not compensate me with a small discount for the cosmetically damaged goods as even after removing all the fibers can still see the finish of the logo panel is a bit patchy or irregular under good lighting.

I'm not sure if this problem is because of manufacturing flaw or because of covid delay in shipment. If so will there be other damage in the speaker I won't know about yet?

I share my experience with everyone so they wont feel cheated if they want to buy this speaker. I strongly suggest everyone open the new box at the shop to know what they are getting.

Richard has told me he will speak to Elac about this but maybe I should write in to them as well.
If the fibres can be removed, then still ok. If there’s blemishes, i would feel unacceptable. I can understand the feeling. Can the fiber be removed?
U can download imgur app for your phone, create an account, upload the pics from your phone.
Then just copy the links of your pics from your imgur account, and click on the mountain with a sun logo to paste the link.
I suggest you Learn to do that as you can then paste the pics in avsforum.

If the logo is smeared, it might affect your resale price. (Tats how low ballers work)
You can email the pics directly to Elac and avsforum to show them the issue and seek advice.
If the logo is smeared due to the paint that’s not dried, then it should be the manufacturer’s fault. They should remedy the issue.
I feel that the company brand logo is the signature and the company should be kanchiong to rectify this issue.
Not to make u Sian, we spend our hard earn money is to buy something that we prize.
Else every time u look at it, u feel bey song.
I feel you should really write to Elac and AVSforum on this issue.

If u not urgent, return back the speakers to Alpha audio and ask them to settle with Elac to ship the speakers that ain’t have these issues.
Tell them u don’t spend money to get this kind of quality.

Last edited by hmsweethm; 30-07-2020 at 10:04 PM..
hmsweethm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #8

I am still plucking hair from it like chicken. It's a black and textured logo panel so its not so obvious from far unless u look closely under good lighting. It was just disappointing. Even my cheap mission lx2 was flawless.

I have mostly accepted it already. And really just wanna enjoy the speakers now. I just had to share cos I can't stand the thought of anyone else feeling cheated.

Last edited by benedium; 30-07-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Old 30-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #9

i rem one of the reviewers mentioned this, good thing is cosmetic??? possibly remedy with "torch gun"?

my friend's elac navis had glue issues too, i had to use alcohol to rub it off.
I don't think my issue is glue. The cloth bag was fused to the whole front of logo panel. And after pulling the cloth off, can see the black imprint in the shape of the logo panel on the cloth bag.
Old 31-07-2020, 01:03 AM   #10

I don't think my issue is glue. The cloth bag was fused to the whole front of logo panel. And after pulling the cloth off, can see the black imprint in the shape of the logo panel on the cloth bag.
I wanted to see the pictures cos if glue and all this, the easiest remedy is actually, WD40. It solves all your issues. Rust, glue, whatever it is, WD40 is the solution. Spray some on the glue stains and rub it with a cloth over and over again. Or use toothbrush to rub the hard part out. That's what I use for even screws that are rusty and no longer easy to use a screwdriver on.
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 01:17 AM   #11

It's not glue. It's plastic or ink that was fused with the cloth bag. I only worry worst case is if it was an entire shipment that was stored in too much heat due to covid shipment delay or something. Then I worry there may be other internal problems that I cannot know about. But the other parts that I can see seem perfectly fine, so it is also possible that the material of the logo panel just doesn't agree with the material of the cloth bag. Or that the elac factory rushed the packing before allowing the logo panel to dry or settle.

Last edited by benedium; 31-07-2020 at 01:21 AM..
Old 31-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #12

Zero fidelity just revisted these speakers.

I guess ELAC wanted to make it more prominent that it's a step up over the Debut B6.2 so they put it in a cloth bag like how many higher end brands do. For B6.2 they used plastic to wrap so no problem.

Alpha audio have return policy?
-Sora- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #13

Like I said they allowed me to exchange for another one. But when I open the new box it had the same problem. Richard said their demo unit also same. So maybe means entire batch is like this but alpha audio seems to think it's not serious enough to send back to elac.

Most probably they will just ask alpha to repair or replace the logo panel.

Last edited by benedium; 31-07-2020 at 02:05 PM..
Old 31-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #14

Zero fidelity just revisted these speakers.

I guess ELAC wanted to make it more prominent that it's a step up over the Debut B6.2 so they put it in a cloth bag like how many higher end brands do. For B6.2 they used plastic to wrap so no problem.

Alpha audio have return policy?
That review very interesting and seems honest. Thanks for sharing.
Old 31-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #15

It will be interesting to compare these with the more entry level pair and see how much better are they
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.