HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Grounding help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
Master Member

Grounding help

hi all audiophiles,
today a tv repairman came to my house to repair a tv, he mentioned to me that my amp need to be grounded as he feel some electricity on the tv. then I want to touch my amp, can feel it too.

I understand that I need to ground it from my amp to an electrical socket's ground but read online that it will create buzzing sound. what is the best way to do it?

My Denon AVR-X2400H already using 3 pin plug.

I tried to search online shopping most grounding cables are like for car stereo

Last edited by rza29; 13-07-2020 at 02:59 PM..
rza29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...e-5554824.html

The funny thing is, back in like around year 2000 the neighborhood repairman in Tampines already taught me about this.

Denon AVR-X2400H is a two pin. Look at the power connector at the back of the case, there's only two pins even though it can also accept the typical 3 pin cable.

What's the best way to do it? Actually according to electrical codes, you are not supposed to do it. Connecting the chassis or secondary side of a two-pin equipment to earth is a breach of electrical code and removes the safety of double insulation.

But if you *really* have to do it... Easiest way is to connect to something u know has the secondary ground close to earth potential. Desktop PCs are very good for this. Laptops are not however.

Alternatively, UK plug with earth wire, connect to chassis.

If you have some DIY skills, open it up, solder secondary side to earth via a 1Mohm resistor.

Note that in certain situations this may actually cause more massive noise than the default condition. (First hand experience) so you may need to revert when that happens.
wwenze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #3

Here are thing like ifi groundhog if you dunno how to diy

https://www.stereo.com.sg/ifi-groundhog.html

http://www.metal-fi.com/review-ifi-audio-groundhog/
Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
Master Member

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...e-5554824.html

The funny thing is, back in like around year 2000 the neighborhood repairman in Tampines already taught me about this.

Denon AVR-X2400H is a two pin. Look at the power connector at the back of the case, there's only two pins even though it can also accept the typical 3 pin cable.

What's the best way to do it? Actually according to electrical codes, you are not supposed to do it. Connecting the chassis or secondary side of a two-pin equipment to earth is a breach of electrical code and removes the safety of double insulation.

But if you *really* have to do it... Easiest way is to connect to something u know has the secondary ground close to earth potential. Desktop PCs are very good for this. Laptops are not however.

Alternatively, UK plug with earth wire, connect to chassis.

If you have some DIY skills, open it up, solder secondary side to earth via a 1Mohm resistor.

Note that in certain situations this may actually cause more massive noise than the default condition. (First hand experience) so you may need to revert when that happens.
not gonna open up my amp for this.
now changed tv, I kenna the same static electricity from the new tv.
rza29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #5

Maybe all in your mind haha
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #6

not gonna open up my amp for this.
now changed tv, I kenna the same static electricity from the new tv.
For context, if it is static charge, you could be charged thanks to having thick carpet in your living room. Thus when you come into contact with a metallic object like a door knob, you could be sending that charge to the door knob and in turn shocking yourself too.

I had a Marantz AVR and the metallic cover and especially the back when you are trying to plug in the HDMI and having a feel with your finger, you might feel some electrical charge too.
But this issue is easily solved when you turn off the main Power. So not an issue.
The shop does provide their own UK plug bundled with their Marantz and Denon AVR. But since it doesn't come officially with the Marantz and Denon AVR, this becomes an issue? I don't really know.
And what will really help is if you do not touch the AVR with the main power switch still turned on in the 1st place.

As for the TV, same thing; only happens with I am feeling on the HDMI ports and especially the TV antenna port as those does send a bit of power to the antenna and is based on the same old antenna port technology. So it doesn't really have the best insulator.

I believe, what might really help for your case is if you can run the AVR and the TV on separate wall plugs as opposed to having it both running on the same wall plug with some sort of extender that the power feedback can easily be sent from one device to another.
Because if you have a bunch of electrical products sharing the same wire going to only 1 of the our main power box, you might risk other electrical units with poor electrical protection like your ceiling fan with a controller to have the controller unit fail due to getting a feedback from your other electrical components running on the same main wire.

Last edited by LiLAsN; 30-07-2020 at 04:42 PM..
LiLAsN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

as wwenze shared some avr is using fake 3 pins ground if you checked the cable it is 3 pins but the end is only 2 pins
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.