The hifi repair discussion thread

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a Sansui AU-717 amplifier and the right channel doesn't seems to be working well. It does work but the sound is very very soft (almost inaudible but can hear if I put my ear close to my speaker) even if I turn the volume knob to the max. Left channel is working well though.

Anyway, my question is where exactly can I find a shop to repair this amplifier?

Yea, I know someone gonna say sim lim tower but which shop? Any recommended ones?

Thanks.

PS - I'm very sure it's the amplifier that is faulty and not the speakers.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got know one door to door HT/AV repair dude - PM u details if keen

Abletron001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This one super amp..rarely the semiconductors got problem..not unlike Pioneer SA-9XXX series.

I repair 2 of this before...

Check the switches at the back, the one that said pre power amp...flick it a lot of time with the power off...if don't work...deoxit it.

This set, if i remember correctly got 2 transformer inside..is a mono block amp in a single package.

You can sell me cheap cheap... :D

This amp NOT easy to service..VERY CRAMP inside and DIFFICULT to disassemble..you send it to the wrong person..they are going to SPRAY WD40 inside which MIGHT fix the problem TEMPORARY. Thereafter..the resisdue CONTAMINATE everything..and you can kiss it GOODBYE.

I have been buying vintage amps and seen many ** repairman did the WD-40 trick..even on a ACCUPHASE!

I have a Sansui AU-717 amplifier and the right channel doesn't seems to be working well. It does work but the sound is very very soft (almost inaudible but can hear if I put my ear close to my speaker) even if I turn the volume knob to the max. Left channel is working well though.

Anyway, my question is where exactly can I find a shop to repair this amplifier?

Yea, I know someone gonna say sim lim tower but which shop? Any recommended ones?

Thanks.

PS - I'm very sure it's the amplifier that is faulty and not the speakers.

Last edited:

loftystew

Master Member
Reaction score
This one super amp..rarely the semiconductors got problem..not unlike Pioneer SA-9XXX series.

I repair 2 of this before...

Check the switches at the back, the one that said pre power amp...flick it a lot of time with the power off...if don't work...deoxit it.

This set, if i remember correctly got 2 transformer inside..is a mono block amp in a single package.

You can sell me cheap cheap... :D

This amp NOT easy to service..VERY CRAMP inside and DIFFICULT to disassemble..you send it to the wrong person..they are going to SPRAY WD40 inside which MIGHT fix the problem TEMPORARY. Thereafter..the resisdue CONTAMINATE everything..and you can kiss it GOODBYE.

I have been buying vintage amps and seen many ** repairman did the WD-40 trick..even on a ACCUPHASE!

Bro... I tried what you said... deoxit the pre-power amp switch using 3 in 1 professional contact cleaner that I bought from homefix and did switching of 50 times from left to right.

Afterwhich I turned on the amp and woah.... there are sound coming from right channel just like it should... however, the music coming from the right channel sounds very distorted especially when the bass kicks in.

Proceed to try deoxit the volume pot and turned the knob from one end to another for 50 times but it didn't solve the distortion... If you are wondering how did I deoxit the volume pot when it is sealed... well, the previous owner, I believe, drilled a hole on the second and third layer so I just sprayed into the hole.

Any other ideas to solve the distortion? :o

PS - Like previously, left channel is still working well.

Is he good?

Send me the info too, in case I can't fix the amp myself...

Last edited:

Abletron001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deoxit deoxit ley...if the pot is sealed then leave it alone (for the time being) coz once you clean, you have to lube.

Deoxit is a product by Craig ley...not the 3-in-1 you buy from mama shop...some of the 3-in-1 cause more problem in future..some are good thou..Craig Deoxit + prolube is EXPENSIVE but well worth it if you have a lot of vintage equipment.

If distorted after cleaning..you might need to burnish your relay...you will have to remove the relay housing and use a fine grit sandpaper and run thru it lightly at the contact point..you cannot spray any solvent on your relay..relay like it dry. Then, use a brush or vacuum and clean up the relay...

If don't work..you will have to trace the signal path and clean up all the switches.

Exactly...the first thing I will do is to download the service manual for the schematic. The make sure all the voltages are there...

But in your case..should just be corroded / dirty switches (relay inclusive)

Last edited:

jojo123

Reaction score
hi. can someone send me the details of the repair man? i have a pioneer amplifier which has the same situation. only left side got sound. i send to pionner for repair before but they say my model very long already. dun have the parts to repair it.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi. can someone send me the details of the repair man? i have a pioneer amplifier which has the same situation. only left side got sound. i send to pionner for repair before but they say my model very long already. dun have the parts to repair it.

PM sent ;):zotto::zonia:

Abletron001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which model?

katoboy

Reaction score
Yesterday my old model Denon AV master volume knot come off with the wire and before when i see movies the volume be turn clock-wish to anti clock wish then able to get the sound any advise canPM where to repair or on site repair thank

mister botak

Reaction score
Hi!

Could you please ping me details as well.

Same issues as previously posted. Left channel become inactive on a Technics Amp. Parts no longer available according to Panasonic

ysl393

Reaction score
There is one in Sim Lim Tower 4th level, can't remember the shop name, but it is a speaker repair shop. The owner is superb in amplifier repair and modification. Just check it out.

Trees

Reaction score

Please publish his contact, I need to repair my amp. It is okay to disclose his contact here, rather than PM as this is not a confidential matter. Its good to share information freely.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Please publish his contact, I need to repair my amp. It is okay to disclose his contact here, rather than PM as this is not a confidential matter. Its good to share information freely.

It's not about being a confidential matter : i do not know if he is free these days and he did not specifically say it's ok to post his hp in public (easier target for nuisance calls, etc) If u want can PM u

However there is now a general repair shop located in Tampines
http://www.facebook.com/ragandbone.tampines
Almost all electronics (including amp) they can inspect then quote you - however this one must bring your stuff go down and not the door to door type
BLOCK 820 TAMPINES STREET 81 #01-520 SINGAPORE 520820
Phone 81599369 , 91433123
Email rag.bone @rocketmail.com

Last edited:

damienloh

Master Member
Reaction score
Call SLT Public Radio and Atlantic Radio. Both said not repairing Creative subwoofer amp. :(
Anywhere I can try for Gigawork G500?

snipfer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
used to go to adrian @ memory lane, adelphi.

but he closed shop liao.....no other place i dare to trust my equipment.

batuchka, can pm me the contact?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.