JBL Bar 2.0 vs Creative Sound BlasterX vs Razer Leviathan vs Sonos Beam - Which is the best?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

yes I think as long as I get closer(Around 50 cm) it starts being obvious and gets worst if i place my ear next to it. I might see if it really affects me over the next 2 days and decide what to do....

50 mm or 50 cm? 50 mm is about 2 inches and 50 cm is about 2 feet. Maybe change the 2 generic analog cables from the sub-to-speakers to better quality ones and see

I went to LHS Electronics Lvl 2@SL Tower to custom-made the cables

:s8:

Last edited:

endriago

Reaction score
50 CM I will try changing the cables.

And yes audible even at the minimum volume.... its not too annoying since i always have music/movies playing in the background.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
50 CM I will try changing the cables.

And yes audible even at the minimum volume.... its not too annoying since i always have music/movies playing in the background.

FYI, I also use iFi AC iPurifier (active) [bottom one] and iFi iPower Low Noise DC Power Supplies [top two] to clean up the AC/DC line noise for audio use. I'm not sure this helps in my getting only very faint hissing from the speakers in addition to changing to better quality cables

You can buy them from Stereo Electronics@Plaza Singapura

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Will using belkin surge protector power strip with its built in filters and what not also help?

petetherock

Reaction score
FYI, I also use iFi AC iPurifier (active) [bottom one] and iFi iPower Low Noise DC Power Supplies [top two] to clean up the AC/DC line noise for audio use. I'm not sure this helps in my getting only very faint hissing from the speakers in addition to changing to better quality cables

That's a lot of items hooked up to a single power point..

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

That's a lot of items hooked up to a single power point..

But not ALL are turned on at the same time. Actually, many of them are supplying DC power so should be ok. The power strip has only 6 outlets so multi-sockets is needed

endriago

Reaction score
Never owned a Aego before so I don't really know what is the issue.
Audible at low volume?

50 mm or 50 cm? 50 mm is about 2 inches and 50 cm is about 2 feet. Maybe change the 2 generic analog cables from the sub-to-speakers to better quality ones and see

I went to LHS Electronics Lvl 2@SL Tower to custom-made the cables

:s8:

Ill give it a shot.... i might try some new cables first. I don't know if I want to spend more money on making the speakers work than the cost of the speakers .....

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You're assuming spending more money would make the speakers work.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Besides faulty speakers what suggestions you have to minimize the hiss?

As a user? Usually none.

If a speaker has noise while not connected to anything (self noise) there is nothing you can do. Ask all the LSR305 users.

Although I noticed something while reading back the thread:

PC. I'm using optical. same thing if i use 3.5mm to my phone. only dont have any issues over BT.

This suggests wideband RF noise (i.e. white noise) is being generated by the BT circuit when it is idling. When this kind of noise occurs, be it from a wireless circuit or from a switching power supply, connecting it electrically to an earthed source can help. Which I noticed has not been tried. (Optical: No electrical connection. Phone: Floating) Try connecting 3.5mm to PC.

endriago

Reaction score
As a user? Usually none.

If a speaker has noise while not connected to anything (self noise) there is nothing you can do. Ask all the LSR305 users.

Although I noticed something while reading back the thread:

This suggests wideband RF noise (i.e. white noise) is being generated by the BT circuit when it is idling. When this kind of noise occurs, be it from a wireless circuit or from a switching power supply, connecting it electrically to an earthed source can help. Which I noticed has not been tried. (Optical: No electrical connection. Phone: Floating) Try connecting 3.5mm to PC.

What do you mean by earthed source? I should have been clear. The PC is connected to my Soundblaster x3 from there it goes optical to the Speakers. I will try 3.5mm been busy with work cause of deepavali.

Will also try straight to the PC and see if that makes a difference. The speakers work fine i'm quite happy with it otherwise. its just when no audio is playing there is an audible hiss. The hiss wasn't like this when I tried it out both times. Might bring it back to the shop see if they can help me out.

I first thought it was just inherent speaker noise(remember reading about it on reddit)

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by earthed source? I should have been clear. The PC is connected to my Soundblaster x3 from there it goes optical to the Speakers. I will try 3.5mm been busy with work cause of deepavali.

Will also try straight to the PC and see if that makes a difference. The speakers work fine i'm quite happy with it otherwise. its just when no audio is playing there is an audible hiss. The hiss wasn't like this when I tried it out both times. Might bring it back to the shop see if they can help me out.

I first thought it was just inherent speaker noise(remember reading about it on reddit)

Simply put the Aego 3 electrical design got issue in particular earthing.
FYI Logitech Z623/Z625 also have hissing sound but it's audible only
at low volume.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As a user? Usually none.

Wow! Ask all LSR owners! On forums some ppl no issues reported. Yes there are a lot of thread on it. Some ppl fix it with those 50/60 hz hum filters.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! Ask all LSR owners! On forums some ppl no issues reported. Yes there are a lot of thread on it. Some ppl fix it with those 50/60 hz hum filters.

Ok let me rephrase myself

Ask all LSR owners who are able to look at things and test things scientifically and objectively and identify/understand differences and effects of different set ups / connection configurations, the different effects between a single-ended and balanced connection, and what is self-noise vs common-mode vs differential noise. And of course the difference between 60Hz hum and white noise and how these noise spectrums can be caused by each of the three noise sources mentioned above.

lXc7AnT.png

The problem with trying fixes without understanding what they do and what is wrong is it just throws money away. Even the guy who bought the hum eliminator to fix the common mode noise from PC said, "Volume on my 305s are set to 5, since there's no amp noise at that level but otherwise I get plenty of volume.

If you get hiss without a source connected, you have the gain too high on the back of the speakers. Turn them all the way down, then slowly turn them up till they hiss. Back them off a notch or two and call it good.

Also, make sure the input sensitivity is set to -10dBV."

Or basically the tl;dr version:
- If it is self noise, you can't solve it
- If it is common-mode noise i.e. PC noise, you can solve it with the hum eliminator
So if the Aego hisses with nothing connected, what kind of noise is it?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RE

There's no gain/sensitivity adjustment on such tiny speakers or on the subwoofer.

In my case, as I mentioned, it's very faint and I can only hear it when I put my ears to the speakers.

In endriago's case he can hear it when at about 2 feet away (ie. sitting distance) then it's not good

My input using Aux-In is from my laptop's USB port, However at the inlet to the DAC I have a iFi Audio iPurifier3 USB Audio and Data Signal Filter installed

https://www.stereo.com.sg/ifi-audio-ipurifier-3.html

And volume/bass is controlled by the remote of the subwoofer. Nothing can be controlled by the DAC.....signal sort of pass through the DAC

If all else fails then I think his speakers got some problems.......or maybe from the subwoofer side since signal is from subwoofer ==> speakers

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Apparatus, It is probably the speaker design. You can unplug your aux-in from your unit and see.

If you don't hear any noise when still in aux-in or optical-in mode, then endriago's unit has issues.

This is the reason why we always say disconnect everything and check for self noise at the start of any troubleshoot. It provides a standard configuration that is applicable to everyone. If problem happens, nothing can be done. If problem goes away, then we see what causes the problem. Isn't this the same idea as people troubleshooting their computer with just mobo + cpu + ram + psu attached?

@endriago The BT circuit will produce some noise while it is broadcasting itself so other phones (or etc.) can find it. On most speakers after a while it will stop. Does your noise also stop after a while?

Another possibility is the BT remains linked to your smartphone although no data is transferred. In this case try cutting the link by disabling your phone"s BT and see if it gets the BT receiver circuit to turn off.

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

@Apparatus, It is probably the speaker design. You can unplug your aux-in from your unit and see.

If you don't hear any noise when still in aux-in or optical-in mode, then endriago's unit has issues.

This is the reason why we always say disconnect everything and check for self noise at the start of any troubleshoot. It provides a standard configuration that is applicable to everyone. If problem happens, nothing can be done. If problem goes away, then we see what causes the problem. Isn't this the same idea as people troubleshooting their computer with just mobo + cpu + ram + psu attached?

@endriago The BT circuit will produce some noise while it is broadcasting itself so other phones (or etc.) can find it. On most speakers after a while it will stop. Does your noise also stop after a while?

Ok I unplugged the Aux-In and the slight hiss is still there but still cannot hear it at 2 feet away

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Apparatus, simply put just disconnect all cables and test for any hissing sound.
It's basically the amplifier board inside the subwoofer may have issues
particularly earthing.

What wwenze mentioned are those studio monitors with adjusted levels
like gains.
I hope you are not confused what he mentioned, however these type
of speakers humming are due to particular levels like if gain is too high
and etc.

I am in audio visual industry so for professional equipment, humming
for speaker or microphones can be corrected by adjusting certain levels.
Sometimes it is due to faulty cable or worn out cables.

PC speaker like Aego 3, Logitech speakers and etc. these are preconfigured
by the manufacturer so user only need to set the volume level.
When I post/reply, I put it in layman terms so easier to understand.

@wwenze, please do not quote my quote or argue with me.
You are a technical person here but not everyone are very technical like you so many will not understand things like gains, db and etc.

For me I make it easier to understand as there are very few AV techs here in this forum.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@wwenze, please do not quote my quote or argue with me.
You are a technical person here but not everyone are very technical like you so many will not understand things like gains, db and etc.

For me I make it easier to understand as there are very few AV techs here in this forum.

patryn33 = techidiot?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.