Need advice on subwoofer repairs / recommendation for 2.1 setup

elsenoire

Reaction score
Hi shifus,

I have a very old (at least 15 years) Altec Lansing subwoofer and speaker system which I got when I purchased my Dell computer donkey years ago. It's not anything fancy but I've come to like the sound it delivers. Quite some time ago however, the subwoofer suddenly went kaput and I would like to explore my options.

Picture of subwoofer (speakers are different from mine)
i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNTk4/z/CowAAOSw7GBc-Vb4/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

(1) Is there any place that can offer repairs?
My budget is no more than $150~200.

(2) What are your recommendations for PC speakers?
I am comfortable spending up to $350 but can deviate if I can get significantly better quality with acceptable difference.
I envision having 2 speakers (L+R) on my desk and a subwoofer on the floor.

"Requirements"
- Dedicated power button on one of the speakers
- Dedicated volume control on one of the speakers
- Plain off-white or matte black design, nothing too fancy

"Wish list / Good to have"
- Bluetooth to connect to phone for Spotify / Tidal or equivalent

Much thanks in advance.

Update 1:
I have found what I'm using thanks to wwenze.
youtube.com/watch?v=nbMqbSY0cPA

Will look into repairs, but what are comparable systems to this available today?

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Promedia 2.1 Bluetooth for $399?

There aren't many 2.1 choices out there...
- Klipsch Promedia 2.1
- Swan M50W

& I think that's it, only these 2 have subwoofers that reach that low and at the same time have enough overall performance to be worth paying >$300 for.

- z623 reaches just as low but the treble performance is mediocre at best and horrid at worst
- Aego M / Aego 3 doesn't reach that low

That is ACS340 in the picture, if subwoofer same but satellites different, is yours ACS33?

elsenoire

Reaction score
This is really silly but I couldn't find any identifying model numbers etc on my speakers/subwoofer.

Anyway, here's a picture of the right speaker...
ibb.co/dtsdfjb

Left speaker is the same without the controls.
The speakers are actually "collapsed" into a 2.1 configuration. I can separate the upper and lower halves of each speakers to get 4 speakers in total, in addition to the subwoofer.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like ADA885 or ADA890... now that has some value

Still, not worth it to repair - Speakers are perishables; they spoil with age, even if you fix the electronics, the woofers and tweeters are probably not working as they used to anymore.

I have heard of people mentioning Altronics as somewhat decent for electronic repairs, but as always with repairmen, get quote first and keep note of original condition.

elsenoire

Reaction score
Thanks wwenze. Finally know what speakers I have lol!

Will ask around regarding repairs. I can't judge if the woofers and tweeters are still in "good condition" but as far as my ears are concerned, I'm still quite happy. Not sure if I'm gonna be called deaf or dumb, but I tested stuff like Razer's Leviathan and Creative's X7 and a few other setups but I still found my old speakers (even without the subwoofer working!) better.

Noted your advice for repairs. I guess I'll also have to be prepared to shell out for a new system if repairs go wrong. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.