HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need help or recommendation, Home Theater for Dummy.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2019, 12:40 AM   #1

Need help or recommendation, Home Theater for Dummy.

Hello audio pros out there!
Iím currently looking to renovate my place and need some help on what should I do and look out for while trying to install a home theater system in my home. From the back of the sofa to the screen, it should be 5meter away which is why I have decided to go with a projector and screen at home.
Iím looking to install a projector & screen in my living room that can be used for normal TV as well as streaming from Apple play etc.. with preferably ceiling speakers as I want the screen area to be as empty as possible when the screen is kept up.

What will you guys suggest I do? Do PM me if you have trustworthy contacts that do provide such services at a reasonable fee.

If I have to DIY with help of my electrician, what kind of setup do you suggest I go for as Iím only looking for something decent as I am only willing to spend 5-6k on the whole set up. Is it even possible to get like a decent projector (for clearer view in the day), motorized decent screen(I understand screen do play an important part in the quality of the projection), decent AVR (is it a must?), and a set of decent sound system for occasional movie, soccer nights. I know the budget might not be enough, but roughly how much should I be expecting?

Iíve tried looking around but it seems like a lot of knowledge is required to be able to DIY. Hope some kind souls can help to explain what are the things that I need to look out for!
Sheldonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
Great Supremacy Member

Hello audio pros out there!
I’m currently looking to renovate my place and need some help on what should I do and look out for while trying to install a home theater system in my home. From the back of the sofa to the screen, it should be 5meter away which is why I have decided to go with a projector and screen at home.
I’m looking to install a projector & screen in my living room that can be used for normal TV as well as streaming from Apple play etc.. with preferably ceiling speakers as I want the screen area to be as empty as possible when the screen is kept up.

What will you guys suggest I do? Do PM me if you have trustworthy contacts that do provide such services at a reasonable fee.

If I have to DIY with help of my electrician, what kind of setup do you suggest I go for as I’m only looking for something decent as I am only willing to spend 5-6k on the whole set up. Is it even possible to get like a decent projector (for clearer view in the day), motorized decent screen(I understand screen do play an important part in the quality of the projection), decent AVR (is it a must?), and a set of decent sound system for occasional movie, soccer nights. I know the budget might not be enough, but roughly how much should I be expecting?

I’ve tried looking around but it seems like a lot of knowledge is required to be able to DIY. Hope some kind souls can help to explain what are the things that I need to look out for!
Even for peeps who are some what well versed in HT i think even they would think 2x b4 trying a Projector/HT combo as 1st set up? If going for projector not so simple as just buy, wire up and play? One has to treat the room, the surface on which the stuff is to be projected on, etc? For these reasons i feel as a 1st foray into HT, better to go with say 65" or bigger LED TV? Decent AVR of course is impt but i would place good speakers above AVR 1st for a fixed budget?
Old 14-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #3

Even for peeps who are some what well versed in HT i think even they would think 2x b4 trying a Projector/HT combo as 1st set up? If going for projector not so simple as just buy, wire up and play? One has to treat the room, the surface on which the stuff is to be projected on, etc? For these reasons i feel as a 1st foray into HT, better to go with say 65" or bigger LED TV? Decent AVR of course is impt but i would place good speakers above AVR 1st for a fixed budget?
Thanks for the input!
Hmm, seems like itís not a wise option? But TV seems a little too small, as itís more of catering for family and friends who are over during gatherings.
I went to look at a 82Ē TV and find that itís a little too small looking from 5m away. And Iím planning on a 55Ē-65Ē TV in my bedroom for my own daily watching purposes.

What kind of speakers would you recommend? I had a look at invisible speakers and I think they are sure to burst my budget. Was thinking if I can get those speakers to be installed on ceiling, achieving the flush look as Iím more of the home aesthetic guy, not wanting to sacrifice the clean look of my house.
By the way what speakers would you recommend in such a case?
Sheldonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

A UST projector like the wemax will be great for this setup. Get the 100Ē ALR fixed screen, and a Atmos receiver. I had my reno with 5.1.2 exciters as speakers. Exciters are not expensive and I had diy the panels. Search for my thread in home Decor to see my audio and video setup.
Alphas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm an audio newb as well and was doing up a HT for my new place. Went to audition at many places and finally decided to get some professional help instead of mixing and matching on my own.

So finally got myself a 5.1.2 from KEC at adelphi. It's around 4k, including installation and cables so it's perfect for me. They also do projector and screen so it could be worth you popping by for a test on the projector, screen + the HT 5.1. Though i think the projector and screen alone will bust your budget. Even the Xiaomi projector cost 2k and up.

If you are interested can pm me and i can give you a contact at KEC. Or you can simply drop by.

GLHF.

Last edited by drkcynic; 16-09-2019 at 01:41 PM..
drkcynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the input!
Hmm, seems like itís not a wise option? But TV seems a little too small, as itís more of catering for family and friends who are over during gatherings.
I went to look at a 82Ē TV and find that itís a little too small looking from 5m away. And Iím planning on a 55Ē-65Ē TV in my bedroom for my own daily watching purposes.

What kind of speakers would you recommend? I had a look at invisible speakers and I think they are sure to burst my budget. Was thinking if I can get those speakers to be installed on ceiling, achieving the flush look as Iím more of the home aesthetic guy, not wanting to sacrifice the clean look of my house.
By the way what speakers would you recommend in such a case?
Yes exactly it's about maintaining the aesthetics of the place yet have a competent HT to suit my needs. Not many people and promoters understand the "wife factor". It doesn't make much sense to load up the whole living room with big ass speakers and incur the wrath of the wifey. In my case anyway.

I think for your case, satellites or wireless speakers or/and inceilings speakers should work for you. Alternatively a soundbar if you are willing to compromise.

There are a couple of threads here on 3.1, 5.1, soundbars that you can get some idea from. But ultimately take some time off and go audition those that you have shortlisted and find your poison.
drkcynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.