HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need recommendation for HDMI TV Media Player

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #1

Need recommendation for HDMI TV Media Player

Hi all

I'm looking for a Media Player box to play videos from External HDD to a non smart TV.

My parents are currently using a 2012 WD TV box but it finally failed after so many years.

The home TV is NOT a smart TV, so no WI-FI / Apps / Netflix enabled, just a basic HD 1080P Philips TV with 2 HDMI ports (and some other ports).

Would appreciate if you guys can recommend some cheap media player, and preferably able to buy locally in stores (for warranty purposes). As long as there is 1 USB port to plug in a external HDD and comes with a remote, good enough. Basic, no need Android or any special function.

I tried to google the same brands like WD but it seems like they're not making these devices anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Byfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Hi all

I'm looking for a Media Player box to play videos from External HDD to a non smart TV.

My parents are currently using a 2012 WD TV box but it finally failed after so many years.

The home TV is NOT a smart TV, so no WI-FI / Apps / Netflix enabled, just a basic HD 1080P Philips TV with 2 HDMI ports (and some other ports).

Would appreciate if you guys can recommend some cheap media player, and preferably able to buy locally in stores (for warranty purposes). As long as there is 1 USB port to plug in a external HDD and comes with a remote, good enough. Basic, no need Android or any special function.

I tried to google the same brands like WD but it seems like they're not making these devices anymore.

Thanks in advance!
Buy nvidia shield pro.
Non pro no USB connection for external hdd.
Shield pro is a very high performance 4k player.
I tried before take ripped 50gb high hitrate movie put inside thumbdrive and go to test on many android boxes. All cannot play due to lots of buffering.
I havenít personally tried on shield pro. But I googled and many overseas Angmo users claim ok.
If u can find any hand oppo will be good too.

But itís not cheap. Around $400.
If your movies are non 4k high bitrate then I think any $100 android boxes can do.
Caurosell got many people selling.
I went with my USB with a movie and went to the place to try.

Last edited by hmsweethm; 17-07-2020 at 08:00 PM..
hmsweethm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #3

Buy nvidia shield pro.
Non pro no USB connection for external hdd.
Shield pro is a very high performance 4k player.
I tried before take ripped 50gb high hitrate movie put inside thumbdrive and go to test on many android boxes. All cannot play due to lots of buffering.
I havenít personally tried on shield pro. But I googled and many overseas Angmo users claim ok.
If u can find any hand oppo will be good too.

But itís not cheap. Around $400.
If your movies are non 4k high bitrate then I think any $100 android boxes can do.
Caurosell got many people selling.
I went with my USB with a movie and went to the place to try.
Thanks for the recommendations but it's too expensive. The videos we view are usually 1080p. My TV isn't even 4K, so no point.

I'm avoiding Android Boxes because we already have one, but it's damn hard to use (on a TV). The remote acts like a "touch screen" and the pointer always go missing.

I prefer those with custom firmware, like my WD TV kind. Simple remote functions, detect HDD, go into respective folder, press the video and play.
Old 17-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Thanks for the recommendations but it's too expensive. The videos we view are usually 1080p. My TV isn't even 4K, so no point.

I'm avoiding Android Boxes because we already have one, but it's damn hard to use (on a TV). The remote acts like a "touch screen" and the pointer always go missing.

I prefer those with custom firmware, like my WD TV kind. Simple remote functions, detect HDD, go into respective folder, press the video and play.
Maybe u can try ac Ryan.
Not sure how is the user interface.
Actually u can see if can Change the remote to keyboard type with arrow keys.
Ya I understand for old folks, the user interface needs to be really simple cos they r not IT savvy.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #5

Maybe u can try ac Ryan.
Ya I understand for old folks, the user interface needs to be really simple cos they r not IT savvy.
Wow even AC Ryan itself costs $199. But it's Android based. =/
Old 17-07-2020, 10:53 PM   #6

Maybe u can try ac Ryan.
Ya, very hard, my parents end up paying for mio tv plus use ipad to hunt down shows on youtube / toggle.
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #7

Hi all

Thanks in advance!
btw if you're very clear you just need WD TV, then just grab a bunch of used ones off carousell?

https://sg.carousell.com/search/wd%20tv?
lxXXxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

Ya. Like wat lxXXxl mentioned.
Your top 2 criteria leaves u the only choice of getting a refurb or used wd tv.
All $99-$100 tv box all android os.
Old 18-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Find a 12V power adapter from somewhere e.g. your router and see if that works.
Old 18-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #10

Ya, very hard, my parents end up paying for mio tv plus use ipad to hunt down shows on youtube / toggle.
btw if you're very clear you just need WD TV, then just grab a bunch of used ones off carousell?

https://sg.carousell.com/search/wd%20tv?
Ya. Like wat lxXXxl mentioned.
Your top 2 criteria leaves u the only choice of getting a refurb or used wd tv.
All $99-$100 tv box all android os.
Looks like this is the only option. Getting a 2nd hand WD TV.

Anyone knows about those "TV Boxes" sold in Sim Lim that promises "many movies" in a box? Are they the same thing?
Old 18-07-2020, 12:18 PM   #11

Find a 12V power adapter from somewhere e.g. your router and see if that works.
?? What for?

My WD Box can power on. It's just stuck there, even doing a hard reset pressing the small button with a paper clip isn't helping. The screen is stuck the moment you power it on.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.