Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mengkian

Reaction score
Just received my 16g unit last evening after I placed my order 16 days ago.
Too bad I don't have US two pin adaptor to try out.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
Grid game streaming latency is bad in Singapore. Half a sec delay even with 400mbps connection speed.

mimiiii

Reaction score
Just write to cso if you dudnt get the $30 credit. You need to change your google account address to us address to claim.

mengkian

Reaction score
This baby runs fast n smooth, 4k on Netflix n YouTube is out of this world. The ultimate All in One entertainment device you need in the living room.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
This baby runs fast n smooth, 4k on Netflix n YouTube is out of this world. The ultimate All in One entertainment device you need in the living room.

Agreed! So far I've been really happy with the SATV. I've unplugged my chromecast and amazon fire TV stick.

The kids love the simple android games (JuJu and Shark Evolution)

I'm also able to use the Fire Stick's remote control with the SATV. It's only USD$15 compared to the $50 SATV remote, albeit without voice search function.

Kodi, Netflix , and Youtube is super fast.

Can chromecast from phone effortlessly. Android phone mirroring works like magic as well.

One thing to note, games like Halflife 2 and Portal felt sluggish compared to gaming on proper gaming platforms (PS3, X360, PC), so it's not solution for game console replacement.

Gonna try out GameStream once I can find a Nvidia GPU to borrow.

Last edited:

Ralphel

Master Member
Reaction score
can recommend the transformer/step down to use with this?

thanks in advance

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Grid game streaming latency is bad in Singapore. Half a sec delay even with 400mbps connection speed.
latency has nothing to do with your speed...you can have 1gbps internet speed but still bad latency since it's more to do with the number of 'hops' from your ISP to the destination...

audiophiliac

Reaction score
latency has nothing to do with your speed...you can have 1gbps internet speed but still bad latency since it's more to do with the number of 'hops' from your ISP to the destination...

Thanks for explaining that. I notice that the Grid server automatically selected "East Asia" server, which made me think maybe the latency wouldn't be so bad. But sadly not the case.

Half sec latency is like playing while drunk.

Deimos

Master Member
Reaction score

yo bro , can u walkthru how to get 4k netflix to run on shield tv? the only way I could is set up vpn on my router but that slows down everything on my internet.

I read u need a vpn and assigned static ip on the shield ? can teach me how ? thanks inadvance .

also may I ask what mouse are you all using? I am looking for a good bt mouse for playing games on shield

mengkian

Reaction score
yo bro , can u walkthru how to get 4k netflix to run on shield tv? the only way I could is set up vpn on my router but that slows down everything on my internet.

I read u need a vpn and assigned static ip on the shield ? can teach me how ? thanks inadvance .

also may I ask what mouse are you all using? I am looking for a good bt mouse for playing games on shield

I use MyRepublic & I think the vpn teleport thing is standard feature.
I just sign up with a local credit cad & a U.S. Zip code.

Deimos

Master Member
Reaction score
I use MyRepublic & I think the vpn teleport thing is standard feature.
I just sign up with a local credit cad & a U.S. Zip code.

ah.. thanks for the info.
I am using M1 fibre so need to get an vpn. so for your case there is no need to set up anything on the ethernet settings on your shield TV ?

mengkian

Reaction score
ah.. thanks for the info.
I am using M1 fibre so need to get an vpn. so for your case there is no need to set up anything on the ethernet settings on your shield TV ?

No, i did not do anything VPN ethernet setting.

Alvin Koh

Reaction score
I received my unit over the weekend and after the initial issues with setup (constant reboots) when using my Sony TV as output, I used a PC monitor instead and it finally went through. Upgraded to v1.3 firmware and everything's running fine now. I also bought the remote in a separate order.
It replaces a Minix Neo 7 which I've used for around a year.

The following apps seem to run with little/no issues:

1) Kodi (Streaming from NAS, remote sites, all ok)
2) Netflix (HD, no 4K TV to test yet)
3) Crunchyroll
4) OpenVPN for Android App
5) PureVPN android app (mobile portait view / scaling is very small)
6) GameStream (works flawlessly - I can't discern any lag or loss of graphical quality)
7) DramaFever app version. (VPN ok, SmartDNS no-go).
8) GRID gaming - connected to East Asia servers (I believe it's Japan). Pings are around 80ms.

Issues I couldn't resolve:

1) Hulu Plus Android TV version 1.1.2 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hulu.livingroomplus&hl=en)
Tested with SmartDNS and VPN and both are no-go when I start movie playback.

It complains about being unable to load the stream. I believe this is the geo-restriction being enforced. The other Hulu app (non-Android TV) has no video playback issues, but it took me many tries to input my account details due to the weird scaling + repetitive switching between portrait and landscape modes until it hangs.

If anyone has the Hulu Plus working, do you mind sharing which DNS/VPN service you are using?

radioshack

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I received my unit over the weekend and after the initial issues with setup (constant reboots) when using my Sony TV as output, I used a PC monitor instead and it finally went through. Upgraded to v1.3 firmware and everything's running fine now. I also bought the remote in a separate order.
It replaces a Minix Neo 7 which I've used for around a year.

The following apps seem to run with little/no issues:

1) Kodi (Streaming from NAS, remote sites, all ok)
2) Netflix (HD, no 4K TV to test yet)
3) Crunchyroll
4) OpenVPN for Android App
5) PureVPN android app (mobile portait view / scaling is very small)
6) GameStream (works flawlessly - I can't discern any lag or loss of graphical quality)
7) DramaFever app version. (VPN ok, SmartDNS no-go).
8) GRID gaming - connected to East Asia servers (I believe it's Japan). Pings are around 80ms.

Issues I couldn't resolve:

1) Hulu Plus Android TV version 1.1.2 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hulu.livingroomplus&hl=en)
Tested with SmartDNS and VPN and both are no-go when I start movie playback.

It complains about being unable to load the stream. I believe this is the geo-restriction being enforced. The other Hulu app (non-Android TV) has no video playback issues, but it took me many tries to input my account details due to the weird scaling + repetitive switching between portrait and landscape modes until it hangs.

If anyone has the Hulu Plus working, do you mind sharing which DNS/VPN service you are using?

Try Unotelly

Alvin Koh

Reaction score
Try Unotelly
Thanks radioshack!
Unotelly works well (in comparison to PureVPN's Smart DNS offering) :)

When using Smart DNS services, Stream Games (GRID) will assign US servers instead of East Asia (Japan). It's a very minor issue for me as I do not really intend to utilize the GRID.

Deimos

Master Member
Reaction score
Alvin bro, can share how to use unotelly with the shield ? (for netflix play back)

I am using Unotelly for my TV but clueless how to set it up on shield TV connected to TV

emgee

Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.