HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Nvidia Shield TV

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #61

Just received my 16g unit last evening after I placed my order 16 days ago.
Too bad I don't have US two pin adaptor to try out.
mengkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #62

Grid game streaming latency is bad in Singapore. Half a sec delay even with 400mbps connection speed.
audiophiliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 02:51 AM   #63

Just write to cso if you dudnt get the $30 credit. You need to change your google account address to us address to claim.
mimiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #64

This baby runs fast n smooth, 4k on Netflix n YouTube is out of this world. The ultimate All in One entertainment device you need in the living room.
Old 28-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #65

This baby runs fast n smooth, 4k on Netflix n YouTube is out of this world. The ultimate All in One entertainment device you need in the living room.
Agreed! So far I've been really happy with the SATV. I've unplugged my chromecast and amazon fire TV stick.

The kids love the simple android games (JuJu and Shark Evolution)

I'm also able to use the Fire Stick's remote control with the SATV. It's only USD$15 compared to the $50 SATV remote, albeit without voice search function.

Kodi, Netflix , and Youtube is super fast.

Can chromecast from phone effortlessly. Android phone mirroring works like magic as well.

One thing to note, games like Halflife 2 and Portal felt sluggish compared to gaming on proper gaming platforms (PS3, X360, PC), so it's not solution for game console replacement.

Gonna try out GameStream once I can find a Nvidia GPU to borrow.

Last edited by audiophiliac; 28-07-2015 at 02:40 PM..
Old 28-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #66
Master Member

can recommend the transformer/step down to use with this?

thanks in advance
Ralphel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #67
Arch-Supremacy Member

Grid game streaming latency is bad in Singapore. Half a sec delay even with 400mbps connection speed.
latency has nothing to do with your speed...you can have 1gbps internet speed but still bad latency since it's more to do with the number of 'hops' from your ISP to the destination...
Old 28-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #68
Arch-Supremacy Member

can recommend the transformer/step down to use with this?

thanks in advance
u dun need a transformer/step down for this to work in sg
integspec likes this.
radioshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #69

latency has nothing to do with your speed...you can have 1gbps internet speed but still bad latency since it's more to do with the number of 'hops' from your ISP to the destination...
Thanks for explaining that. I notice that the Grid server automatically selected "East Asia" server, which made me think maybe the latency wouldn't be so bad. But sadly not the case.

Half sec latency is like playing while drunk.
Old 29-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #70
Master Member

u dun need a transformer/step down for this to work in sg
great
thx

then can hoot from amazon liao
Ralphel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 06:14 AM   #71
Master Member

yo bro , can u walkthru how to get 4k netflix to run on shield tv? the only way I could is set up vpn on my router but that slows down everything on my internet.

I read u need a vpn and assigned static ip on the shield ? can teach me how ? thanks inadvance .

also may I ask what mouse are you all using? I am looking for a good bt mouse for playing games on shield
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #72

yo bro , can u walkthru how to get 4k netflix to run on shield tv? the only way I could is set up vpn on my router but that slows down everything on my internet.

I read u need a vpn and assigned static ip on the shield ? can teach me how ? thanks inadvance .

also may I ask what mouse are you all using? I am looking for a good bt mouse for playing games on shield
I use MyRepublic & I think the vpn teleport thing is standard feature.
I just sign up with a local credit cad & a U.S. Zip code.
Deimos likes this.
Old 29-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #73
Master Member

I use MyRepublic & I think the vpn teleport thing is standard feature.
I just sign up with a local credit cad & a U.S. Zip code.
ah.. thanks for the info.
I am using M1 fibre so need to get an vpn. so for your case there is no need to set up anything on the ethernet settings on your shield TV ?
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #74

ah.. thanks for the info.
I am using M1 fibre so need to get an vpn. so for your case there is no need to set up anything on the ethernet settings on your shield TV ?
No, i did not do anything VPN ethernet setting.
Deimos likes this.
Old 29-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #75

I received my unit over the weekend and after the initial issues with setup (constant reboots) when using my Sony TV as output, I used a PC monitor instead and it finally went through. Upgraded to v1.3 firmware and everything's running fine now. I also bought the remote in a separate order.
It replaces a Minix Neo 7 which I've used for around a year.

The following apps seem to run with little/no issues:

1) Kodi (Streaming from NAS, remote sites, all ok)
2) Netflix (HD, no 4K TV to test yet)
3) Crunchyroll
4) OpenVPN for Android App
5) PureVPN android app (mobile portait view / scaling is very small)
6) GameStream (works flawlessly - I can't discern any lag or loss of graphical quality)
7) DramaFever app version. (VPN ok, SmartDNS no-go).
8) GRID gaming - connected to East Asia servers (I believe it's Japan). Pings are around 80ms.

Issues I couldn't resolve:

1) Hulu Plus Android TV version 1.1.2 (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roomplus&hl=en)
Tested with SmartDNS and VPN and both are no-go when I start movie playback.

It complains about being unable to load the stream. I believe this is the geo-restriction being enforced. The other Hulu app (non-Android TV) has no video playback issues, but it took me many tries to input my account details due to the weird scaling + repetitive switching between portrait and landscape modes until it hangs.

If anyone has the Hulu Plus working, do you mind sharing which DNS/VPN service you are using?
integspec and galerunner like this.
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.