HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Nvidia Shield TV

Like Tree126Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #886

Still ok. No news on next gen yet.

Is it still good to buy 2017 Shield now? Is the next gen coming out soon?
JayceOoiCom likes this.
Old 14-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #887
Supremacy Member

Is it still good to buy 2017 Shield now? Is the next gen coming out soon?
no next gen needed, even the switch is on this chip..
i just had mine RMAed ..
Nvidia is remarkable !!
JayceOoiCom likes this.
Old 15-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #888

Some time back I was asking if there was any tv tuner that works with Nvidia Shield (also noticed some other ppl had asked the same thing).

I took a chance and bought the HDhomerun Connect Duo. With this network based tuner, you can watch live tv on the live channels app as well as using the HDhomerun Android TV app. However the bad news is that the EPG does not work with it.

If you use Plex Media Server with a Plex Pass, you can set it up to work with the HDhomerun and with a little tinkering you can have live tv with EPG on shield tv. I found this solution to be good for me as I don't have cable tv and my TVs do not have DVB-T2 tuners. So instead of getting 2 DVB-T2 set top box (one for my room and one for my living room) I just needed one HDhomerun and I can watch TV at both rooms, using Android TV.

Hope this info helps someone who was wondering about this. Also make sure to get the UK version as the US version is using ATSC and wun work in Singapore. I got mine for 25% off, if you have a Shield TV look in your inbox for a Shield newsletter, they had sent me a coupon code for 25% off, although the newsletter was sent many months ago it still worked in the UK site.

Also the hauppauge Dual TV tuner should also work with Plex with Plex pass on the Shield TV, however I believe it does not work with LIVE channels app.

Old 15-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #889
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some time back I was asking if there was any tv tuner that works with Nvidia Shield (also noticed some other ppl had asked the same thing).

I took a chance and bought the HDhomerun Connect Duo. With this network based tuner, you can watch live tv on the live channels app as well as using the HDhomerun Android TV app. However the bad news is that the EPG does not work with it.

If you use Plex Media Server with a Plex Pass, you can set it up to work with the HDhomerun and with a little tinkering you can have live tv with EPG on shield tv. I found this solution to be good for me as I don't have cable tv and my TVs do not have DVB-T2 tuners. So instead of getting 2 DVB-T2 set top box (one for my room and one for my living room) I just needed one HDhomerun and I can watch TV at both rooms, using Android TV.

Hope this info helps someone who was wondering about this. Also make sure to get the UK version as the US version is using ATSC and wun work in Singapore. I got mine for 25% off, if you have a Shield TV look in your inbox for a Shield newsletter, they had sent me a coupon code for 25% off, although the newsletter was sent many months ago it still worked in the UK site.

Also the hauppauge Dual TV tuner should also work with Plex with Plex pass on the Shield TV, however I believe it does not work with LIVE channels app.

Bro, sorry about chim but what is the thing u need? An app? Or buy some hardware?

U said can view on other display also ?
Old 15-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #890

Bro, sorry about chim but what is the thing u need? An app? Or buy some hardware?

U said can view on other display also ?
It's a hardware tv tuner. Basically, you need to plug in your TV antenna and power and LAN cable. Here is the link where I bought mine.

https://shopuk.silicondust.com/shop/...crollto=483075

Yes it can watch live tv on 2 devices at the same time since this is a dual tuner. It can also watch live tv while recording another show. If you need they also have a 4 tuner version but is more expensive.

You can watch on your phone or tablet also. But keep in mind, this works only on local network. If you want it to work outside your home network, you need to set it up with Plex Server with a Plex pass.

Hope I answered your question.
mamboeidos likes this.
Old 16-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #891

Still ok. No news on next gen yet.
no next gen needed, even the switch is on this chip..
i just had mine RMAed ..
Nvidia is remarkable !!
Good. More points to get it since Amazon has promotion now.
Old 16-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #892

If you are a prime member, there will be a promo soon

Good. More points to get it since Amazon has promotion now.
Old 17-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #893

Bro, is the shieldtv coupon code reusable from the newsletter?
Old 17-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #894

Bro, is the shieldtv coupon code reusable from the newsletter?
Unfortunately it is only one time use. Look in your inbox for an email from Nvidia with subject, "A Special SHIELD reward, Android O, and The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide", there should be a 25% discount code.

There was a 20% discount code (FIFA2018WORLDCUP20%) during world cup season that just expired.
Old 17-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #895

It's a hardware tv tuner. Basically, you need to plug in your TV antenna and power and LAN cable. Here is the link where I bought mine.

https://shopuk.silicondust.com/shop/...crollto=483075

Yes it can watch live tv on 2 devices at the same time since this is a dual tuner. It can also watch live tv while recording another show. If you need they also have a 4 tuner version but is more expensive.

You can watch on your phone or tablet also. But keep in mind, this works only on local network. If you want it to work outside your home network, you need to set it up with Plex Server with a Plex pass.

Hope I answered your question.

how do u ship to sg? need forwarder?
Old 17-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #896

how do u ship to sg? need forwarder?
Yes, you need to use a forwarder. I used vpost but you can use any forwarder in the UK.
Old 17-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #897
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes, you need to use a forwarder. I used vpost but you can use any forwarder in the UK.

Oh ya how much does it cost for the forwarder?
N which model to get? Cos saw a few. Even with 2 tuner there are 2 kind one round one square
Old 17-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #898

Oh ya how much does it cost for the forwarder?
N which model to get? Cos saw a few. Even with 2 tuner there are 2 kind one round one square
Using vpost and a coupon code( i forgot the code though, just googled it), I got it shipped at S$29.

In the uk store there is only 2 models. The 2 tuner and 4 tuner version. The square one is the new version, the rounded version is the old one.
Old 17-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #899

Using vpost and a coupon code( i forgot the code though, just googled it), I got it shipped at S$29.

In the uk store there is only 2 models. The 2 tuner and 4 tuner version. The square one is the new version, the rounded version is the old one.

thx. so what anyenna to buy? any recommendation?
Old 18-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #900

Pls send me also. Thks

Send you a pm.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.