HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Nvidia Shield TV

Like Tree126Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2019, 11:02 PM   #1336
Supremacy Member

Challenger has Xbox One S 1TB two controller pack or one controller one game bundle on sale at S$299.

This might be a good alternative to NVidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

XBox One S is a capable streaming box with quite some Streaming apps like Netflix, Kodi, Plex, YouTube, etc.

On gaming side it will beats NVidia Shield TV hands down.

PS4 1TB is also on offer at S$369 for the Mega Pack bundle. That is another option as well.

Actually I just bought the Xbox One S and my first impression is pretty positive. Of course on the apps side Nvidia Shield TV will beat Xbox One S and One X hands down.

Not a real gamer and I am only into old games and casual games (Wii owner but I have not touched it for quite some time. I invested quite a bit on Wii, with Wii Fit, dancing mat, extra Wii Remote, Classic controller and bought old NES/SNES/N64 games and Sega games on the Wii Shop).

So this Xbox One S is just an impulse buy and I have no intention to pay for the games in the near future.

#######

Got IPTV player apps which work well.

Got RSS player app which works well.

Got iQiyi, Mango TV and Sohu Video Chinese version. Missing Youku and Tencent Video though.

Got Edge browser but unfortunately SingTel Cast does not work from the edge player.

Got free and paid apps from the Microsoft Store as well for live TV, movie and drama.

Got Kodi and Plex as well (not tested). VLC Player works well with my WD Mycloud personal NAS.

Got a paid app which claims to support Airplay and Google Cast but I do not need the app and do not want to try.

Got 4K UHD Blu-ray player function and support Netflix 4k. Has YouTube app and Amazon Prime Video app as well.

########

Last edited by xiaofan; 15-12-2019 at 11:06 PM..
Old 15-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #1337
Master Member

Actually I just bought the Xbox One S and my first impression is pretty positive. Of course on the apps side Nvidia Shield TV will beat Xbox One S and One X hands down.

Not a real gamer and I am only into old games and casual games (Wii owner but I have not touched it for quite some time. I invested quite a bit on Wii, with Wii Fit, dancing mat, extra Wii Remote, Classic controller and bought old NES/SNES/N64 games and Sega games on the Wii Shop).

So this Xbox One S is just an impulse buy and I have no intention to pay for the games in the near future.

#######

Got IPTV player apps which work well.

Got RSS player app which works well.

Got iQiyi, Mango TV and Sohu Video Chinese version. Missing Youku and Tencent Video though.

Got Edge browser but unfortunately SingTel Cast does not work from the edge player.

Got free and paid apps from the Microsoft Store as well for live TV, movie and drama.

Got Kodi and Plex as well (not tested). VLC Player works well with my WD Mycloud personal NAS.

Got a paid app which claims to support Airplay and Google Cast but I do not need the app and do not want to try.

Got 4K UHD Blu-ray player function and support Netflix 4k. Has YouTube app and Amazon Prime Video app as well.

########
More importantly ... with the Xbox, you have Gears of War. I think THAT is most important. Haha.
Old 16-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #1338
Arch-Supremacy Member

Guys, I just got my NS.

Some questions I have sorry if they had been asked before.

1. Can I use phone or PC to control the setup of NS? Like adding add-ons to KODI need to use the remote to slowly select and type the URL is such a pain.

2. My NS is connected via HDMI to my AVR media player HDMI. Whenever I startup my NS, the AVR comes on. But sometimes when i play kid's youtube on NS i do not need to on the AVR and only want to use the TV's sounds. What kind of settings can I do if it is possible?

3. Are you guys able to connect via wireless wifi to access to PC's or Cloud's storage to play video or do you have to plug in a harddisk physically.

Thanks!
Old 16-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #1339
Supremacy Member

Guys, I just got my NS.

1. Can I use phone or PC to control the setup of NS? Like adding add-ons to KODI need to use the remote to slowly select and type the URL is such a pain.

2. My NS is connected via HDMI to my AVR media player HDMI. Whenever I startup my NS, the AVR comes on. But sometimes when i play kid's youtube on NS i do not need to on the AVR and only want to use the TV's sounds. What kind of settings can I do if it is possible?

3. Are you guys able to connect via wireless wifi to access to PC's or Cloud's storage to play video or do you have to plug in a harddisk physically.

Thanks!
1. there's a android TV app you can download and use to control your NS. it's available for both iOS and Android.

2. go to settings and turn off hdmi cec

3. no need to plug in physically.. can stream via WiFi or ethernet via samba or FTP. just need to enable file sharing on your PC or NAS.
Old 16-12-2019, 10:27 PM   #1340
Supremacy Member

Guys, I just got my NS.

Thanks!
1. when setting up kodi on tv box, it is better to download the repo zip files on PC, then transfer to tv box. else you have to key in long url , it is a pain even with proper keyboard.
Old 17-12-2019, 09:37 AM   #1341
Arch-Supremacy Member

1. there's a android TV app you can download and use to control your NS. it's available for both iOS and Android.

2. go to settings and turn off hdmi cec

3. no need to plug in physically.. can stream via WiFi or ethernet via samba or FTP. just need to enable file sharing on your PC or NAS.
Can't fix all 3. I think I am noob lol.

1. I assume you download it on your PC?

2. I managed to off the connectivity between TV, AVR and NS. But the NS still doesn't play with TV on. Perhaps it has got something to do with my mio settop box setup..

3. Fiddled with my PC settings to file share, but NS still cannot detect my PC. Tried Plex also cannot get the files in.

Back to the drawing blocks tonight.
Old 17-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #1342
Supremacy Member

Can't fix all 3. I think I am noob lol.

1. I assume you download it on your PC?

2. I managed to off the connectivity between TV, AVR and NS. But the NS still doesn't play with TV on. Perhaps it has got something to do with my mio settop box setup..

3. Fiddled with my PC settings to file share, but NS still cannot detect my PC. Tried Plex also cannot get the files in.

Back to the drawing blocks tonight.
1) The apps is on you mobile phone. The app is called "Android TV Remote" by Google.

2) Maybe you want provide detailed description of your connection and what you want to achieve.

3) It should work. Again you may want to provide more details what you have done and what is not working.
Old 17-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #1343

1) The apps is on you mobile phone. The app is called "Android TV Remote" by Google.
Nvudia Shield has its own app, at least I know for iphone
Old 17-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #1344
Supremacy Member

Nvudia Shield has its own app, at least I know for iphone
Yes you are right. Both iOS and Android, called "Nvidia Shield TV".
Old 17-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #1345
Arch-Supremacy Member

2) Maybe you want provide detailed description of your connection and what you want to achieve.

3) It should work. Again you may want to provide more details what you have done and what is not working.
1. Will check thanks guys for the input.

2. I have a Denon 3600. HDMI 1 plugged to TV. HDMI plugged to DVD player. HDMI plugged to Mio tv Setup box. HDMI plugged to NS for media player. NS is the newest addition.

Originally it was defaulted to Mio tv. On TV, on Mio, it will be Mio using tv sound. On AVR then it will go to speakers sound. This is what I want, it is set by a separate technician. All the current settings before and after NS is still working.

Now I added the NS, and removed the CEC. When i on the TV, it is asking me to on my Mio to watch. When I on the NS, nothing happens. I need to on my AVR for NS to appear on tv. But I would like the same option, to play NS on TV sound, and only on AVR when needed.

Any idea?

3. I enabled all the file sharing options on my PC. And I ran NS to detect my PC, but it just can't detect it. I would assume once it can detect it can mount my PC drive and play from it wirelessly?

Thanks!

Last edited by drkcynic; 17-12-2019 at 11:28 AM..
Old 17-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #1346
Supremacy Member

2) No idea. Probably you want to start a new thread to ask the AVR experts.

3) Not so sure what you mean by detect your PC.

You can try apps like VLC to see if the app can find your network share. You may want to use your mobile phone to check first. Click "Local Network" on the app and see if it can find your PC network share.

For me I use a personal NAS (WD Mycloud 3TB) and my Mi Box S and newly bought XBox One S can go to the NAS for contents.

Last edited by xiaofan; 17-12-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Old 17-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #1347

If you disabled CEC on Shield, other devices cannot detect the status.

Please read up on HDMI CEC and then adjust the settings in your devices.
Old 17-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #1348
Supremacy Member

3. I enabled all the file sharing options on my PC. And I ran NS to detect my PC, but it just can't detect it. I would assume once it can detect it can mount my PC drive and play from it wirelessly?

Thanks!
you need to use file manger with built-in samba such as es file explorer to see the shared folder on your pc or NAS.
Old 19-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #1349
Arch-Supremacy Member

when i use gamestream there is like a 0.5 to 1s input delay?

Is this normal?
Old 19-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #1350
Master Member

Anyone cannot access netflix app?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.