HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Output audio from TV to Soundbar. Port confusion.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

Output audio from TV to Soundbar. Port confusion.

I have this Toshiba TV at home which has the following ports at the back, and I wish to connect my soundbar to it, but facing audio port compatibility issues I can output the audio from my TV to the soundbar via the headphone 3.5mm jack from TV to soundbar aux port, but the quality is kinda bad.

Is there a better way to obtain better audio quality ?

My soundbar has HDMI (ARC), digital audio (toslink), aux as audio inputs.

The most promising port seems to be the the digital audio port, but which cable supports it ? A coaxial cable ?

Old 24-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Unless your speakers are good quality (but since it's a soundbar, so unlikely) the quality of the analog out is unlikely to be a bottleneck. Instead, check the TV's sound settings to see if there is any "enhancement" like SRS or DTS surround and turn them off.

You can use digital audio a.k.a. SPDIF, use a coaxial cable. The yellow video cable will work fine.
wwenze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #3

Unless your speakers are good quality (but since it's a soundbar, so unlikely) the quality of the analog out is unlikely to be a bottleneck. Instead, check the TV's sound settings to see if there is any "enhancement" like SRS or DTS surround and turn them off.

You can use digital audio a.k.a. SPDIF, use a coaxial cable. The yellow video cable will work fine.
Ah thanks I will try that, I recalled seeing a DTS surround setting while browsing through the television settings page.

Hmm, my soundbar doesn't have the corresponding coaxial audio port, I guess I will make do with the aux port then Will there be any side effect from using the television's headphone 3.5mm jack to connect to a soundbar as it is designated as "headphone" in the manual ?

Quite a shame that the TV doesn't support HDMI with ARC, otherwise things would be easy.
Old 26-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #4

Just try use HDMI lor. Why not?
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.