HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Placing speaker on a platform.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Placing speaker on a platform.

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if I can place speakers on a hollow platform. It is a raised platform from the floor. It is a hollow platform where my tv and 2 side speakers sit on it.

Does it affect the sound effect or bass?

or should i reinforce the platform with bricks or solid woods beneath the platform so that the vibration from speakers have something to falls onto?

please let me know your views on this matter. Thank you and have a good day.
Old 21-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if I can place speakers on a hollow platform. It is a raised platform from the floor. It is a hollow platform where my tv and 2 side speakers sit on it.

Does it affect the sound effect or bass?

or should i reinforce the platform with bricks or solid woods beneath the platform so that the vibration from speakers have something to falls onto?

please let me know your views on this matter. Thank you and have a good day.
Short answer is probably would not affect sound quality.

Long answer is it depends.
Most speakers nowadays are made to have inert enclosures and not be affected by sound from their drivers. If they're designed poorly, or designed to specifically make the cabinets vibrate (like the LS3/5 and its descendants), then yes, probably isolation is more important.

If you're using bookshelf speakers, then speaker stands can help raise the speakers to your ear level. That's the main advantage of stands, ignore all the anti-vibration stuff.

Audiophilia is a religion when many people say the same things and make themselves believe it's true. Helps companies sell more systems though, so they definitely are't complaining.

Rubber / silicon feet to prevent speakers from sliding around should be sufficient. You can also use bricks if it makes you feel good, or you could really hear a difference / see the speakers visibly shake / you have a really unstable platform.

Either way should be harmless to try.

Last edited by lxXXxl; 21-06-2020 at 11:14 AM..
lxXXxl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #3

Bad idea. If you have to, use isolation methods, or pads. But it's never as good as a good pair of stands which aren't expensive.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020...tup-22020.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #4

Actually i always believed it's a good idea to keep a pair of speaker stands just to hear how speaker is supposed to sound compared to when placed on cabinet/table. If your table is accoustically solid enough, they should sound similar to being on a stand. Most dedicated speaker stands are metal. And some also say metal speaker stands sound different from wooden ones. You have to try to be sure. Speaker stands cost about $200 onwards new. Used ones on carousell can be around half price onwards.

Last edited by benedium; 21-06-2020 at 12:57 PM..
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Master Member

Of course your speakers will sound different when they're placed on a concrete floor compared with a hollow wooden platform.

You're going to get a lot more resonant frequencies as the acoustic energy can overcome a hollow wooden platform far easier than concrete.

What specific issues you will face won't be known until you actually get them up and running. Most commonly, you'll suffer floppy bass and that affects imaging.

Then again, it wouldn't matter if you're not a fussy listener.

But if you are, you'll start thinking about speaker isolation and minimising acoustic energy transfer. Which basically equals to rubber/foam disengagement, speaker stands, creating a platform that's as resistant to vibrations as possible....etc.

Last edited by wahjohreno; 21-06-2020 at 01:14 PM..
wahjohreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.