HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

IS it possible to get Atmos via analogue 7.1?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Clearnfc
  • 1 Post By petetherock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
Master Member

IS it possible to get Atmos via analogue 7.1?

Sorry for the title I accidentally submit while editing the title.

Hi guys, I am wonder if it is possible to use PC for Dolby Atmos decoder? Then send the output via RCA to the amp. This is because I have an old 7.1 amp. It cannot support atmos but it has analogue inputs. I am trying not to get an AVR just for Dolby atmos...So maybe try using the old 7.1 as 7 channel power amp instead.
LiLAsN likes this.

Last edited by petetherock; 29-07-2020 at 06:20 PM..
Clearnfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #2

No
You need to bitstream to a avr with Atmos decoding
LiLAsN likes this.
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #3
Master Member

No
You need to bitstream to a avr with Atmos decoding
OK thanks!! This means I have to get another box...haha..... need to think of excuses for finance minister to release funds..lol...
Old 29-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Need hmdi. RCA cannot
Peach Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 11:43 PM   #5

So sad. Really. If I had this option, I would have thrown the receivers out the window and just depend on my PC and an amplifier to power the speakers.

But by right, it could actually be possible. Look at the Trinnov line of Receivers and Amplifiers. They are literally running PC hardware with an Intel Core i5 CPU along with custom boards that they create to use as DACs (which PC motherboards have) and amplifiers that terminates to those normal speaker ports.

Then they created a code based on Linux as what they said in an Interview and call it a very powerful receiver deserving of the $8000+ price tag.

So it should actually be possible to create a custom PCie card slot and having the power supply cables powering the card similar to how a Graphics card works and have the ports be speaker terminals and just have a software run similar to how the Trinnov, Marantz/Denon software runs to tell which port goes to what speaker and so on.
Then have a few HDMI-in port to accept audio signals to process the audio signals. Something like the Elgato capture card that can accept multi-channel audio and from there, just reroute to the specific line-out or speaker ports.

It would have been a lot cheaper overall to buy those PC components and just buy a software to run it all. But alas, it didn't happen. So we have to depend on the receiver manufacturers to do literally the same thing and charge exorbitant prices unfortunately.

I really love your idea and would have opted for that option in a heartbeat if that were possible. Great thinking.

The easiest is indeed RCA. We have a 7.1 line-out port on some motherboards and soundcards. I've used a PC line-out to RCA adapter before. But the limitation is Windows and the lack of updates to RCA to accept Height channels and recognizing height channels in the case of Windows.
Because if we have a choice to change the 7.1 to 5.1.2 in Windows Sound Settings, we can just use the line-out to RCA adapter and connect to an external Amplifier that will just act as a dumb amplifier and maybe have Dirac Live Filter (like how some does) and just redirect the audio to the speakers. And we can easily get Atmos and DTS-X this way too. Alas, we can't cos Windows itself is not able to decode and send the signal to the corresponding speakers via PCM. So with the missing height metadata information, it is of no use as well.

So again, need to depend on an external receiver to do this decoding and placement of object based audio that could by right, easily be done with a way more powerful PC than that of the outdated and underpowered components found in receivers to begin with.

Last edited by LiLAsN; 29-07-2020 at 11:55 PM..
LiLAsN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Master Member

Thank for the reply everyone. After googling and reading, there is no software decoder for atmos at the moment. Its not licensed to any sound card manufacturer or software coy like PowerDVD etc...There are some hacks around but alot are malware, so not all will work.

So, the best way is to get a cheap AVR that supports atmos for decoding, then use the pre-outs on the amp (if you want to use your own power amp).

One thing for PC is that windows seems to be limited to 7.1 audio (I am not sure) right now. So, you can only have 5.1.2 for atmos. But there are sound cards that goes to 16 channels or more. So, maybe additional software is required. But its very expensive.

Last edited by Clearnfc; 30-07-2020 at 10:36 AM..
Old 30-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Thank for the reply everyone. After googling and reading, there is no software decoder for atmos at the moment. Its not licensed to any sound card manufacturer or software coy like PowerDVD etc...There are some hacks around but alot are malware, so not all will work.

So, the best way is to get a cheap AVR that supports atmos for decoding, then use the pre-outs on the amp (if you want to use your own power amp).

One thing for PC is that windows seems to be limited to 7.1 audio (I am not sure) right now. So, you can only have 5.1.2 for atmos. But there are sound cards that goes to 16 channels or more. So, maybe additional software is required. But its very expensive.
The fuss free way would be either a Blu ray player since most
have USB input.
However depending on the video file whether does it contain
Dolby Atmos or not.

PS try not to discuss blu ray rip/downloaded movies here.
Want best Dolby Atmos would be either Blu ray disc, Netflix
or Apple TV.

Windows 10 have Dolby Access (Paid app not free),
this is to enable Dolby Atmos for certain games or application like Netflix.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/do...ot:overviewtab

Due to piracy thus it is not available to other applications.
Dolby and DTS are surround format and manufacturer need to pay for their license and certification which is not cheap.

Unlikely you find a application whether free or not that can decode Dolby lossless except Dolby Digital or DTS Surround which Windows supports.
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Master Member

The fuss free way would be either a Blu ray player since most
have USB input.
However depending on the video file whether does it contain
Dolby Atmos or not.

PS try not to discuss blu ray rip/downloaded movies here.
Want best Dolby Atmos would be either Blu ray disc, Netflix
or Apple TV.

Windows 10 have Dolby Access (Paid app not free),
this is to enable Dolby Atmos for certain games or application like Netflix.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/do...ot:overviewtab

Due to piracy thus it is not available to other applications.
Dolby and DTS are surround format and manufacturer need to pay for their license and certification which is not cheap.

Unlikely you find a application whether free or not that can decode Dolby lossless except Dolby Digital or DTS Surround which Windows supports.
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the windows app, i think its free if you are using and avr for atmos (using home theater option). Only the headphone option need to pay.

Also want to thank everyone for their advice. I think i have cause enough trouble here..lol..time to go back to where i belong...

Last edited by Clearnfc; 30-07-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.