HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Question on KEF Active speakers

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #76

Delivery? You didnít get at KEF Adelphi? I just paid and brought back home on the same day

Mine are in grey and Iím using the Atacama Nexus filled with Atabites and sand

Anyway, congrats on the purchase. Theyíre great speakers and Iím sure you will enjoy them!
I intend to put them up on my computer desk. I'm looking at Isoacoustics Aperta. I bought the speakers online though.. brought in and warranty by Ban Leong.
rufity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #77
Supremacy Member

I intend to put them up on my computer desk. I'm looking at Isoacoustics Aperta. I bought the speakers online though.. brought in and warranty by Ban Leong.
OK, if desk then the Isoacoustics seem to be a popular choice. Don't think you can go wrong with those
Gymrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:05 AM   #78

...not saying that active is bad...
haha...like this statement you made.

Money made on Hifi audio scene are by cutting corners (eg. some active-speakers), and keeping legacy support for convenience (keep analog path - DAC, interconnect etc)

personally: felt IF using digital music source, THEN full digital path + passive speaker make "more" audiophile sense (though any speakers by nature tend to be analog)

Any show of hands if you are on Analog or Digital music source?

Last edited by forests_gump; 12-02-2018 at 10:08 AM..
forests_gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #79

haha...like this statement you made.

Money made on Hifi audio scene are by cutting corners (eg. some active-speakers), and keeping legacy support for convenience (keep analog path - DAC, interconnect etc)

personally: felt IF using digital music source, THEN full digital path + passive speaker make "more" audiophile sense (though any speakers by nature tend to be analog)

Any show of hands if you are on Analog or Digital music source?
There are good active ones like devialet gold phantom pair those were great ones very powerful and can sound very loud without distortion and the cabinet use are vibration free but only able to play through streaming no external input ...both units add up around 9k demo them before surprise that it sounded quite good

In this debate of passive vs active...people with active will always say theirs is good...for ppl that plays passive will also think theirs is good it all comes down to own preferences...i do own some active speakers on my desktop before but i switch to passive, due to repair active ones is not cheap my kef x300aw spoil the right channel with the main board the back circuit board spoil repair is $480.00 and takes 3-4 weeks time come back same issue then sent back again second time they change my whole unit in the end...so i gave them to my sis use after i setup my passive system using existing ls50...i also got MM1 from bowers those i got no issue for years but due to upgrade i gave them to my mum...

For separate I think is more durable as well as I got used before Denon PMA 250SE amp that amp already 20 years old use with my old wharfedale speakers (which i sold off) still working fine i did manage to sold off both the person brought it still happy with it

Last edited by Amon86; 12-02-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Amon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #80

Yep... definite there are some really good active speakers.

Key question is -- many people buy active speaker with an objective in mind ~ cost becomes biggest priority, ie. to be cheaper than separates (dac+opamp/amp+passive speaker) - of-course you will manufacturer serves this demand well - cutting corners.

Furthermore: most if not ALL Active Speakers design uses Class D amp (which 1# takes an analog signal ~ say from Laptop/Mobile headphone/DVD player RCA, converts it to PWM, amplifies it, and converts back to analog at the output; or which surprises me:

Why today music lovers din consider direct digital amplification (ie. Full digital path), ie. amplifier that takes a digital signal (SPDIF/PCM - a square wave) converts it to PWM (another square wave), amplifies it, and converts it to analog at the output --- my presumption since the large majority of today music lovers are already having digital music source (mp3,wav,DSD,network,internet streaming) to begin with! Of-course there are remnants of analog music source lovers - Vinyl records paired up with Class A/AB amps -- good for them -- full analog path (dont mind slightly more measures for audiophile reasons)

Note: Network active speaker does makes sense - such as Sonos, etc. I presume it would be foolish if they dint use direct digital amplification, since they are design with internet streaming in mind.

Last edited by forests_gump; 13-02-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Old 12-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #81

Yep... definite there are some really good active speakers.

Key question is -- many people buy active speaker with an objective in mind ~ cost becomes biggest priority, ie. to be cheaper than separates (dac+opamp/amp+passive speaker) - of-course you will manufacturer serves this demand well - cutting corners.

Furthermore: most if not ALL Active Speakers design uses Class D amp (which 1# takes an analog signal ~ say from Laptop/Mobile headphone/DVD player RCA, converts it to PWM, amplifies it, and converts back to analog at the output; or which surprises me:

Why today music lovers din consider direct digital amplification (ie. Full digital path), ie. amplifier that takes a digital signal (SPDIF/PCM - a square wave) converts it to PWM (another square wave), amplifies it, and converts it to analog at the output --- my presumption since the large majority of today music lovers are already having digital music source (mp3,wav,DSD,network,internet streaming) to begin with! Of-course there are remnants of analog music source lovers - Vinyl records paired up with Class A/AB amps -- good for you -- full analog path (dont mind slightly more measures for audiophile reasons)

Note: Network active speaker does makes sense - such as Sonos, etc. I presume it would be foolish if they dint use direct digital amplification, since they are design with internet streaming in mind.
Some ppl don't like full digital due to it will sound more electronic sounding just like the past ipod using wolfson dac vs Cirrus Logic dac chip wolfson sound more warm and natural as compare to cirrus logic....that why there are products like ifi itube 2 which can add like more tube warm sounding if your system sound too clinical...
Old 12-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #82

how are u guys powering the LS 50 wireless? power socket to speaker or using a power extension with surge protector?
drumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 12:35 AM   #83

Some ppl don't like full digital due to it will sound more electronic sounding just like the past ipod using wolfson dac vs Cirrus Logic dac chip wolfson sound more warm and natural as compare to cirrus logic....that why there are products like ifi itube 2 which can add like more tube warm sounding if your system sound too clinical...
Well, maybe going digital does makes music sound clinical/electronic, but

wolfson warm & natural than cirrus logic --- both are DAC
(100% digital processing inside Digital Analog Converter)

--- Why is there widespread acceptance of digital music source today?
So maybe hindrance due to ignorance, placebo or build-quality of digital?

Last edited by forests_gump; 13-02-2018 at 12:48 AM..
Old 13-02-2018, 12:39 AM   #84
Supremacy Member

how are u guys powering the LS 50 wireless? power socket to speaker or using a power extension with surge protector?
Either way works. Singapore has stable power supply, if want added insurance put a surge protector in-between lor

Mine I use a Belkin surge-protector not because I need it, but because i had a spare just sitting there In the store, so might as well use lol
Gymrat76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #85

Either way works. Singapore has stable power supply, if want added insurance put a surge protector in-between lor

Mine I use a Belkin surge-protector not because I need it, but because i had a spare just sitting there In the store, so might as well use lol
thanks.. dont want my KEF speakers to end up hissing.. haha.. but not just KEFspeakers, anyone has encountered hissing speakers? my scandyna speakers are hissing..
drumma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #86
Arch-Supremacy Member

Normally hissing isn't solved by surge protectors or power conditioners; because normally hissing is not due to AC supply noise.

Grounding conditions do cause hissing but that's an issue that is separate and different solution from power supply. Sometimes getting a surge protector solves it but that is usually due to better connectors and people putting all the devices onto the same surge protector after buying a new surge protector instead of previously spreading the devices on multiple sockets.

Then we have hissing generated by the amplifier itself. Surge protectors don't solve that either. All speakers/amplifiers have them to some extent, but most decent products are inaudible at 1m and only audible with ear next to tweeter.

And, if the speakers weren't previously hissing but are hissing now, first see whether your connections have changed from previously and check the quality of the connection. Once you ruled that out, it's the speaker power supply old liao.
drumma likes this.

Last edited by wwenze; 13-02-2018 at 11:35 AM..
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #87

thanks.. dont want my KEF speakers to end up hissing.. haha.. but not just KEFspeakers, anyone has encountered hissing speakers? my scandyna speakers are hissing..
If you have cheap socket wall plug sharing with your speakers buying a power conditioner also will not help you much unless you brought those power conditioner that each plug is individual separated from inside so noise from one doesn't go through plug to plug

drumma likes this.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #88
Supremacy Member

u guys got your ls50w from GP, Robinson or Tangs?
any recommendation for stand? beside the original stand at 799
Old 14-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #89

Thinking of picking this up but not in a rush until my house reno is done. Wondering if it ever goes on sale?

Also, thinking of using this as a home theatre setup as well. Read that I won't be able to get any subwoofer rumble without a preprocessor?

Priority is audio but having a nice home theatre setup is mmm...
cravenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #90
Arch-Supremacy Member

Think it went below $3,000 once.

Normally for HT, people use AVR with passive speakers. (Or they use Soundbar which is functionally pretty much an AVR) But I guess you're aiming to use a pair of active speakers. In this case you should get either a subwoofer with line out or a speakers with subwoofer out. Fortunately LS50 wireless does have a subwoofer out.
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.