HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Radio Reception Options in Singapore

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #1

Radio Reception Options in Singapore

After the analogue TV transmission stopped, I found that my AV Receiver which is connected to the SCV Point's FM socket is also not getting anymore FM signal. Anyone else getting this issue? Looks like I need to look for, or make a FM antenna liao.
ckiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

After the analogue TV transmission stopped, I found that my AV Receiver which is connected to the SCV Point's FM socket is also not getting anymore FM signal. Anyone else getting this issue? Looks like I need to look for, or make a FM antenna liao.
StarHub shut down all analogue services(TV and FM radio) served through the SCV point from Jan 1 onward.

http://www.starhub.com/switch

Posted from PCWX using HUAWEI ALPS
amazingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

StarHub shut down all analogue services(TV and FM radio) served through the SCV point from Jan 1 onward.

http://www.starhub.com/switch

Posted from PCWX using HUAWEI ALPS
But there's no digital radio. The DAB here died some time ago.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #4
Master Member

But there's no digital radio. The DAB here died some time ago.
get a fm antenna.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #5

get a fm antenna.
Yeah, would need to do that. I find the answer to this question to be rather irresponsible.

Q: Are there any replacement and/or compensation for the radio signal discontinuation after 1 Jan 2019?
A: The free-to-air radio signal is not part of StarHub’s service offering so there will be no replacement and/or compensation.

Terminate liao, then say "not our problem".
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #6

Summary of my readings past few days + own trial & error.

Getting Overseas channels is less about antenna & more about location & level of flat. To quote one of the posts, "getting overseas channel is a bonus".

Seems like:

1) If you stay near coast, chances higher to receiving Overseas channel. Eg, someone in Yishun managed to receive most of Malaysia's free to air channels. I managed to receive Indo channels but poor quality. I cant get Malaysia channels from 3rd floor of Eunos area flat.

2) If you stay higher floors where antenna "line of sight" is not blocked, higher chance to receiving Overseas Channel.

So suggest you take into consideration your location & try with cheap antenna 1st. If you can receive, but with poor quality, then maybe can invest in active antenna.

Otherwise, suggest you explore other options to receive Overseas channels, like SH/Mio/Android box.

Also, maybe you can tell us your location & flat level. The more experienced brothers can chip in then.
I am staying in bedok and facing East Coast Park - house level 11 floor. I can only get SG channels and indonesia channel. My parents are more inclined to Malaysia channel like TV1. Anyone could advise please if I should get another different antenna? I'm super noob at this antenna thingy.
superman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
Master Member

I am staying in bedok and facing East Coast Park - house level 11 floor. I can only get SG channels and indonesia channel. My parents are more inclined to Malaysia channel like TV1. Anyone could advise please if I should get another different antenna? I'm super noob at this antenna thingy.
it is easy to 'receive' malaysia's free-to-air TV using internet. they are several apps in playstore for these channels.

what you need is an android tv box, which cost $30.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #8

My Onkyo receiver also stop receiving. Honestly, I feel the Govt should have include the FM radio into the picture and message to everyone. I did not expect the HDB antenna to be fully cease operational...

Any good FM antenna to recommend?
Ah Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:36 PM   #9

My Onkyo receiver also stop receiving. Honestly, I feel the Govt should have include the FM radio into the picture and message to everyone. I did not expect the HDB antenna to be fully cease operational...

Any good FM antenna to recommend?
Exactly! The gahmen never said that FM transmission via SCV would stop. SCV/Starhub Kay Kiang and stopped both the Analogue TV AND the FM signal too, and didn't provide any alternative.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #10

Exactly! The gahmen never said that FM transmission via SCV would stop. SCV/Starhub Kay Kiang and stopped both the Analogue TV AND the FM signal too, and didn't provide any alternative.
The free digital tv box should include the FM receiver too.... I was a early adopter for this digital tv when my living room changed a new TV and I had to use the antenna. If I had known this I would have bought a antenna with FM and digital TV functions. I didn't expect this to happen.. I feel I had wasted money buying the single function antenna... Maybe I save up by using the Tunein Radio in the Onkyo receiver.

Only thing is the radio from the internet tends to 1-3mins lagging from air signal..
Ah Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:31 AM   #11
Master Member

you can receive fm off the air.

all the receivers come with their own fm antenna.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

The free digital tv box should include the FM receiver too.... I was a early adopter for this digital tv when my living room changed a new TV and I had to use the antenna. If I had known this I would have bought a antenna with FM and digital TV functions. I didn't expect this to happen.. I feel I had wasted money buying the single function antenna... Maybe I save up by using the Tunein Radio in the Onkyo receiver.

Only thing is the radio from the internet tends to 1-3mins lagging from air signal..
It is ok to use internet for radio. Lag 1 minute only.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes you are right.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

I am still struggling to get a good signal off the air. It was perfect with the SCV point on the wall.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am still struggling to get a good signal off the air. It was perfect with the SCV point on the wall.
Simple solution - use the internet. My radio got wifi so i can get it using internet.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 09-01-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.