HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

recommend speakers for living room tv ($1000~1200)

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #1

recommend speakers for living room tv ($1000~1200)

hi, hope this is the correct place to ask.

i'm researching to set up a 2.0 or 2.1 system for living room TV. budget about $1k for the sound system. mostly for Netflix and pop/rock music.

should i be considering B&W 685 S2 / Quad S-1 / Dynaudio Emit M10 or are there better value bookshelf speakers at this price point?
i've listened to some of them and to me...they have decent enough bass so i could probably do without a sub.

other than that, should i be considering a AVR or an Amp? not quite sure about the cost/benefits of either one. i should budget about $500 for this?

TIA!
skl000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

Be careful to note the acoustic conditions of your living room may be very different from the shops. You maybe also have to consider how loud you gonna play your music at home. At the shop they probably turn it on very loud because no residential neighbours to worry about plus they got carpet to absorb echoes. When you play at low or normal volumes at home, the same speaker's bass may be almost inaudible. And is your living room as quiet as a hifi shop?
wwenze likes this.
benedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Living room I would suggest u go with a sub so 2.1.

Choice of speaker depends if you willing to have 2 floor standing speaker or bookshelf speaker (if you plan to place on tv console)

For this I think no point get a AVR if running 2.1.

Some floor stand speaker is loud and have strong bass which you don't require a subwoofer but depends on what amp you pairing it with

Last edited by sadboy; 09-05-2018 at 05:34 PM..
sadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
High Supremacy Member

This guy has some opinions on B&W 686 S2
http://noaudiophile.com/Bowers_and_Wilkins_686_S2/

Quad S2's frequency response is also rather... interesting, although this might actually be needed for living room
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

For me, if I'm venturing into uncharted waters, I just go with whatever is currently selling the cheapest vs what would otherwise be its normal price. You just need to convince yourself you made the best purchase decision later.

I mean, many people try to convince themselves they made the best purchase decision anyway, so might as well start with a good deal which makes it much easier.

Opinions are discussed by those who don't
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

ah ok. thanks for all the advice.

Yes, i'm looking at bookshelf speakers to place on the TV console.
but if need to include a sub..i guess those three speakers are out of budget. will look around again.

pretty new to this, so in my case of a 2.1 system for TV, what would the difference be between AVR and amp? i'm assuming the AVR provides more connection options?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:39 AM   #6

ah ok. thanks for all the advice.

Yes, i'm looking at bookshelf speakers to place on the TV console.
but if need to include a sub..i guess those three speakers are out of budget. will look around again.

pretty new to this, so in my case of a 2.1 system for TV, what would the difference be between AVR and amp? i'm assuming the AVR provides more connection options?
AVR amps have more functions, which means your money is spent on features rather than sound.
If you put the speaker on a mdf or plywood console, don't spend too much. You won't get the full benefit of a good speaker.

Use the Search Button and Read the Stickies!

My home theatre gear and my blog:

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/0...tup-32018.html
petetherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Your budget is what, $1000 or $1500 for everything including speakers and sub and amp?

If you just need something dumb to amplify the sound from TV then an amp or a 2.1 active speaker will work.

AVR is more for surround speakers + a separate sub, but the key differences are
1) AVR includes the stuff you find in an integrated amplifier i.e. it has all the pre-amp functions, which includes connecting multiple sources to one output
2) Compared to integrated amp, AVR also handles the HDMI singnal
3) AVR can accept Dolby or DTS whatever or Atmos or whatever signal and process them. And even when you use analog or PCM signals, AVR can apply processing and give you optimal sound based on your speakers and room, often with the help of a calibration microphone.

Personally I feel amplifiers, once you make sure you have enough wattage for your speaker/room, they reach the point of diminishing returns very quickly. Meanwhile the features of AVR are very useful or might even be one step further to better sound than a pure amp e.g. the calibration mic. But this topic is what I and petetherock have already agreed to differ.

To illustrate the diminishing returns, the internal amplifier of M50W measured slightly better than my PM6005.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Just a reminder to everyone... Before you decide to spend more on so called sound quality, remember every speaker sounds different in different places. Maybe some places need more bass, some need more clarity. Choose wisely
Old 10-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

hmm ok...maybe i should rephrase.

if i were looking for bookshelf speakers+sub+amp/AVR for living room TV with a budget range of $1000~$1500 what brands should i be looking at?

the reason why i excluded the sub in the first place was because i was blown away by the bass from those bookshelf speakers which i tried in shop. but from various advice given seems like lowering my speaker budget and leaving some for a sub would serve me better..
Old 10-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
High Supremacy Member

Get this sub

https://www.lazada.sg/products/wharf...iMrdt&search=1

Stereo subs like this can handle the crossover without the need of an AVR

However the remote it comes with is a godsend, you will appreciate it when adjusting the subwoofer.

Use the remaining $500~1000 for stereo amp + speaker

Then get this for the main speakers

https://www.lazada.sg/products/wharf...afagMNYuu&mp=1

Damn, these are some amazing promos.

Then the amp just whatever at this point, functionality and feature is up to personal needs.

Last edited by wwenze; 11-05-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Old 11-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #11

thanks so much for the recommendations. will go and listen to them over the next few weeks!
Old 16-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #12

I'll just share a bit more before you make your decision...

I find that using my Denon m40 alone for TV makes dialogue soft compared to other sounds so to hear dialogue properly i have to turn up the volume and then movie sound effects and soundtrack gets too loud. Not sure if its an issue that can be fixed with equaliser/bass&treble settings yet.

To solve this problem, for now i select sound output from TV Internal Speakers + Optical. Meaning both TV internal speakers and Denon M40 are on when I watch TV/movies.

I find the TV internal speakers are good for dialogue. But I have to adjust TV and Denon M40 separately to get the right volume for dialogue and other sounds. I also think I have to turn on the Denon M40 before I turn on my TV in order ensure the sound is totally in sync. If I don't do that, sometimes I feel the sound is a bit less crisp.

So, because of the hassle, sometimes i think I should just have gotten a Soundbar.
If I were to buy a sound bar, i would make sure it has a wireless subwoofer, HDMI input / HDMI-CEC(ARC), making sure can use TV remote to control soundbar volume and ideally WIFI streaming for Spotify music (paid subscription).
Old 16-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #13
High Supremacy Member

If you have a 5.1 (or 7.1 or whatever) source but you truncate the other channels and only reproduce the L/R, dialogue will be soft because most dialogue is on the center channel.

The correct way is to downmix 5.1 to 2.0

Then again it could be the M40 speaker itself

Last edited by wwenze; 16-05-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Old 16-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #14

Don't think it's the speaker's fault bah... For music, the speakers have similar sound to my favourite earphones. Will try different equaliser settings before I decide if I need a good soundbar.
Old 16-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #15
High Supremacy Member

Just try the file 11sec.ac3 from here. See if you hear the words "center"

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...est-setup-file

Last edited by wwenze; 16-05-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.