Recommendation for 5.1/7.1 Home Theater

JX1983

Reaction score
Nope.. Just go to the store and see what I mean.. they come in different sizes.. this is why it is better to buy in NS store than to buy in ikea for the chopping board.

Thanks.. i Google and found that quite near maybe will go down have a look.. btw how much u spend on the stand? If price is high then maybe I will just asked my ID to do shelving on my wall instead.

Jamesky

Reaction score
Thanks.. i Google and found that quite near maybe will go down have a look.. btw how much u spend on the stand? If price is high then maybe I will just asked my ID to do shelving on my wall instead.

Roughly around $55 - $60 for both. Table leg is just$5 in Ikea last time I bought.

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
NS household.. neighborhood diy shop. I bought chopping boards at ikea.. ended up not using it as i had to cut to use it.

Where the shop location? Google already give me an outlet at CCK SUNSHINE PLACE

Thanks

Jamesky

Reaction score
The one I go to is in Yew Tee Square.. Near McDonald’s towards the multi storey car park. I think you can find this as well on other shops selling household items. Does not necessarily be this store.

Last edited:

amnxfrh

Reaction score
guys, how do i calibrate the speakers since the onkyo hts3800 does not come with audyssey or anything similar.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys, how do i calibrate the speakers since the onkyo hts3800 does not come with audyssey or anything similar.

Manual adjustment in the setting menu.
If you need more help.
I also ordered one, will do short guide on the cabilbration.
Vendor wise I doubt anyone does installation for this model.

amnxfrh

Reaction score
Manual adjustment in the setting menu.
If you need more help.
I also ordered one, will do short guide on the cabilbration.
Vendor wise I doubt anyone does installation for this model.

great. will look into your guide when you have done it.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Bro, sorry. The sales man say my set is delayed so can't do the guide.
Basically refer to manual pg 28, there is no right or wrong setting
so you have to play around.

Use the test tone to adjust settings like speaker distance, channel
level and etc.
I agree without Audyssey is troublesome but even there is
auto calibration.

For best sound it is still best to manual set it.
Speaker placement also affects how the effect and sound will be
projected so do take note.

Amon86

Reaction score
Bro, sorry. The sales man say my set is delayed so can't do the guide.
Basically refer to manual pg 28, there is no right or wrong setting
so you have to play around.

Use the test tone to adjust settings like speaker distance, channel
level and etc.
I agree without Audyssey is troublesome but even there is
auto calibration.

For best sound it is still best to manual set it.
Speaker placement also affects how the effect and sound will be
projected so do take note.

If without audyssey best way is to calibrate using a SPL meter.....even though my av receiver have Audyssey i also depend on SPL meter for db measurements those have accurate measurements....there are also some apps that doing spl using phone mic but still not as accurate than those standalone

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If without audyssey best way is to calibrate using a SPL meter.....even though my av receiver have Audyssey i also depend on SPL meter for db measurements those have better input....there are also some apps that doing spl using phone mic but still not as accurate than those standalone

Thanks for sharing.
I wonder where to buy SPL meter.

Amon86

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
I wonder where to buy SPL meter.

SPL meter are not cheap around ranging around $180-200 online rarely found in sg some common ones are radioshack 33-2055 Analog Sound Level Meter....some very ex one can take measurement for you the distance to the seating position....there is a mode slow response that is to measure sub level

Last edited:

Humjipeng01

Master Member
Reaction score
A bit late to this party but I would suggest that with $500, just start with 1 AVR + 2 speakers for now. Get the best combi that $500 can buy. Then 3 or 6 months later, get a sub. Then 3 or 6 months after that, get 2 rears (or, if your original 2 speakers are small, recycle them as rears and get 2 new + better fronts).

Means 6 to 12 months later, u get a complete 5.1 set. Don't get stuck in the mindset of having to get everything at 1 go.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A bit late to this party but I would suggest that with $500, just start with 1 AVR + 2 speakers for now. Get the best combi that $500 can buy. Then 3 or 6 months later, get a sub. Then 3 or 6 months after that, get 2 rears (or, if your original 2 speakers are small, recycle them as rears and get 2 new + better fronts).

Means 6 to 12 months later, u get a complete 5.1 set. Don't get stuck in the mindset of having to get everything at 1 go.

Rather just get a HTIB the Onkyo set goes for $699.

amnxfrh

Reaction score
guys, i saw people talking about LFE on subwoofers. anyone care to explain what is that?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if the system does not have LFE will it greatly affect the performance and bass?

Context matters, are you asking this because you're looking at the Onkyo?

LFE on AVR is to provide a post-processed line-level output containing subwoofer signal to an active subwoofer. That Onkyo system has a passive subwoofer, so they provided speaker terminals instead.

Means in future if you upgrade speakers you can't use active subwoofer lor. Actually not entirely, since the "for stereo" or "for audio" subwoofers also accept speaker-level inputs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.