Soundbar discussion Thread IV [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
m69180845129_1.jpg

you mean this yes? i dont think there are any other speakers than what is in the unit itself?

Not really meant to be laid flat
Sound will project upwards ..

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
m69180845129_1.jpg

you mean this yes? i dont think there are any other speakers than what is in the unit itself?

Firstly what type of speakers are you looking at?
Soundbar or Hi-fi system?
In your picture is a Sony CMT-X5CD, not really intended
to hookup with TV.

What I mean this is system:
mN2Q5XgVincPNefiywmw4H-480-80.jpg

FM + CD/Blu ray + Home Theater suitable to hookup to TV.
Else get a separate CD/Blu ray player than hookup
to a soundbar home theater system.

Separate component will sound better but take up lots of space.

BwaySaiDonk

Banned
Reaction score
Firstly what type of speakers are you looking at?
Soundbar or Hi-fi system?
In your picture is a Sony CMT-X5CD, not really intended
to hookup with TV.

What I mean this is system:
mN2Q5XgVincPNefiywmw4H-480-80.jpg

FM + CD/Blu ray + Home Theater suitable to hookup to TV.
Else get a separate CD/Blu ray player than hookup
to a soundbar home theater system.

Separate component will sound better but take up lots of space.
guess i will have to get a cd player and hook up to a good quality soundbar then.

thanks for the advice guys!

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guess i will have to get a cd player and hook up to a good quality soundbar then.

thanks for the advice guys!

Just take note not all soundbar music performance is that as good
as Hi fi system.
Can get either a blu ray player but try to source for one
with display like this Pioneer.

31NK%2BYYTV-L._SX425_.jpg

As usually blu ray player doesn't have display so if you wish to play CD.
You have to turn on TV to know what track is it playing.
That Pioneer one is basic model, there are higher end CD players
but cost way more.

BwaySaiDonk

Banned
Reaction score
Just take note not all soundbar music performance is that as good
as Hi fi system.
Can get either a blu ray player but try to source for one
with display like this Pioneer.

31NK%2BYYTV-L._SX425_.jpg

As usually blu ray player doesn't have display so if you wish to play CD.
You have to turn on TV to know what track is it playing.
That Pioneer one is basic model, there are higher end CD players
but cost way more.
i'm thinking of going for q60R now
no need all those fancy stuff and 5.1 is more than enough for me
sound clarity is key for me

then i was trying to flip and try the Denon m41 and realised no usb :(
it would have been perfect otherwise

Last edited:

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought sonos beam from below. It's about 150 off rack price of 699

It's Australia version. Can anyone advise impact. Thanks

https://www.tecobuy.com/en_SG/sonos-...BoC1EgQAvD_BwE

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29
My wife and I went to HN @ Millennia walk to see see look look at soundbar... Had the chance to test the Sonos Beam

The sound bar itself was really really good

What kind of impact are you asking about?

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone bought sonos beam from below. It's about 150 off rack price of 699

It's Australia version. Can anyone advise impact. Thanks

https://www.tecobuy.com/en_SG/sonos-...BoC1EgQAvD_BwE

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29

Australia version is still same voltage as Singapore, so just have to change the plug to Singapore 3 or 2 pin plug. Should be very easy. BUT is that website safe to buy from? Looks questionable. For electronics I rather buy locally and enjoy warranty.

Last edited:

johney76

Reaction score
Bose or Sonos 5.1

I am looking to upgrade from my (Marantz 1604 + Boston xs) to a better sounding wireless home theater set-up. I have short listed these 3 options -

1 - Bose soundbar 700 with bass module 700 and surround wireless speakers
2 - Sonos playbase with subwoofer and Play 1 set-up
3- Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar

Both Bose and Sonos systems will cost me around S$2500. I am not really looking for a typical wired set-up but please feel free to suggest in case there is something that would beat these 2 with minimal set-up. I am also not looking for huge speakers. I will be using it in a 13 by 11 ft. room. I will appreciate if experts can suggest which one would be better.

Guang Han

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from my (Marantz 1604 + Boston xs) to a better sounding wireless home theater set-up. I have short listed these 3 options -

1 - Bose soundbar 700 with bass module 700 and surround wireless speakers
2 - Sonos playbase with subwoofer and Play 1 set-up
3- Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar

Both Bose and Sonos systems will cost me around S$2500. I am not really looking for a typical wired set-up but please feel free to suggest in case there is something that would beat these 2 with minimal set-up. I am also not looking for huge speakers. I will be using it in a 13 by 11 ft. room. I will appreciate if experts can suggest which one would be better.
I didn't like Sonos playbar because the woofer turn the vocal too muffled.
I pretty like Bose Music clarity, and it has powerful bass.
Also check if you got watch Dolby Atmos content, if you do, then I think Q90R will be your choice. In fact, my bro bought Q90R with his TV, and I was impressed by the sound. I think you can also check out the reviews of Bose and Q90R soundbar.
In my opinion, Bose or Q90R will be good.

billovee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went to HN @ Millennia walk to see see look look at soundbar... Had the chance to test the Sonos Beam

The sound bar itself was really really good

What kind of impact are you asking about?

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT

That side got one nice seller, I buy from him before.

No pressure tactics

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also check if you got watch Dolby Atmos content, if you do, then I think Q90R will be your choice. In fact, my bro bought Q90R with his TV, and I was impressed by the sound. I think you can also check out the reviews of Bose and Q90R soundbar.

I agree with this in regards to the Bose and Sonos.

To me, Bose > Sonos.

Have not tried the Samsung so can't comment.

cydutzyahoo

Master Member
Reaction score
can anybody advice what is the best position for subwoofer?
is it somewhere beside TV? or somewhere beside sofa?

caniggia

Reaction score

Same sentiment about bose and sonos. Have not really audition q90r just a quick demo find presentation loud thats all. Seen review q90r surround is subtle and having disconnecting issue. You gotta verify though.
Bose has this hdmi arc issue whereby it cant recognise arc during tv startup. Solve by power off and on back soundbar will do. Or connect via optical but you will lose sound bandwidth doing that.

WuYarBo

Reaction score
So today I have finally managed to get the stands for my Samsung HW-Q90R two rear speakers and this is how my AV room looks like now:

4Gdxk8R.jpg

The Samsung HW-Q90R performs superbly playing Dolby Atmos movies, way way way better than those Dolby Atmos soundbars without physical rear speakers. I now hear much more sonic depth than compared to my dad's Creative Sonic Carrier (I know it's an unfair comparison since it doesn't have physical rear speakers but for that price that it is selling for at the moment.. :s22:)

I won't say I will recommend it at the moment cos I also had the unfortunate experience of the rear speakers having poor wireless connectivity. I had to manually re-sync them to the soundbar even though the indicator showed otherwise. However there is a new firmware that was reported to have resolved this issue. So for those who are interested in this soundbar, I will probably test the new firmware and let you guys know the result after a week or so.

But if you don't mind the extra effort of re-syncing the rear speakers now and then while waiting for Samsung to resolve the issue, I would say it does lives up to the Internet perfect score review based on the sound experience I had..

So much so that now I have the itch to watch all the Dolby Atmos movies in my collection again! :s12:

Fantastic setup.

I'm actually looking at Samsung system to replace my old 5.1 DTS setup. Anyone knows any shop provides audition for Samsung Q70,Q80 and Q90[/B][/B]. I reckon 7.1.4 is going to be effective for my small room, so most likely sticking with 5.1.2

Last edited:

aqf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good deals at comex?

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

billovee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So today I have finally managed to get the stands for my Samsung HW-Q90R two rear speakers and this is how my AV room looks like now:

4Gdxk8R.jpg

The Samsung HW-Q90R performs superbly playing Dolby Atmos movies, way way way better than those Dolby Atmos soundbars without physical rear speakers. I now hear much more sonic depth than compared to my dad's Creative Sonic Carrier (I know it's an unfair comparison since it doesn't have physical rear speakers but for that price that it is selling for at the moment.. :s22:)

I won't say I will recommend it at the moment cos I also had the unfortunate experience of the rear speakers having poor wireless connectivity. I had to manually re-sync them to the soundbar even though the indicator showed otherwise. However there is a new firmware that was reported to have resolved this issue. So for those who are interested in this soundbar, I will probably test the new firmware and let you guys know the result after a week or so.

But if you don't mind the extra effort of re-syncing the rear speakers now and then while waiting for Samsung to resolve the issue, I would say it does lives up to the Internet perfect score review based on the sound experience I had..

So much so that now I have the itch to watch all the Dolby Atmos movies in my collection again! :s12:

may i know where you buy the rear speaker stand and how much ?

they suitable for other rear speaker ?

WuYarBo

Reaction score
may i know where you buy the rear speaker stand and how much ?

they suitable for other rear speaker ?

Hi, I bought them off Carousell

SANUS Satellite Speaker Stand EFSAT

and no the power cable can't be routed into the stand. It was meant more for the audio cable than the power cable.

I didn't do any modifications to it but frankly I would have preferred a stand than can both secure the speaker and allowed it to rest on a platform. Right now both speakers are held in place by a screw and left hanging in the air.

But at that price plus I can test the whole setup within a week (Best Denki gave me a weeks' grace to test and make sure nothing is wrong), I couldn't say no to the stands.

He got from carousel. U welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.