Soundbar discussion Thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
I think it's important to figure out what you want:
specs and features or good sound
For example: a basic soundbar under 1k can give good voice reproduction and decent bass.
Once you start asking for more features, then the money has to come from somewhere, eg sound quality
Also check that the room has enough reflective surfaces to give that surround effect

freshvibes

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it's important to figure out what you want:
specs and features or good sound
For example: a basic soundbar under 1k can give good voice reproduction and decent bass.
Once you start asking for more features, then the money has to come from somewhere, eg sound quality
Also check that the room has enough reflective surfaces to give that surround effect

Any decent ones below 1k to recommend?

Dan10

Reaction score
Hi

Can I check with you guys if I have got this right... I am thinking of getting a HT system, playing music too at times. Am considering an AVR which features Atmos these days. But I'm told that for the Atmos to work, I need a 7 channel speaker arrangement at least. I got space for 5 channel max. So I'm now thinking whether I should abandon the AVR since I cannot do Atmos and instead get a Sonos Arc which can.

petetherock

Reaction score
It's hard to come to a compromise, but with a limited budget and a need for neatness, a full surround system with all the cables to be laid and connected can be very hard to do.

For a real Atmos experience, you'll need speakers on top or at least, bounce off your ceiling.
And reflections are tricky at best, since you need to have walls on the sides and a flat ceiling for maximum effectivity.
Then there's the auto -EQ or calibration, which is absent from most budget systems.

So for under 1k, I'll suggest looking at the major brands, such as HK, JBL, Yamaha etc and AUDITION for yourself to see what's out there.
Every year there are new models, so it's important to filter out the specs / features, then listen to see if it suits your needs.
These days, there are showrooms, eg JBL has one in Tampines, Yamaha also has theirs so it's not too hard to listen and decide if the sound suits your needs.

With a limited budget, IMO, I'll want good dialogue first, then good bass and surround effects will be after I get these two.

However, features like Airplay, or the number of inputs and system integration into an entire home system like Bose, Sonus, Yamaha Soundcast might be important for some.

https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2021/02/what-do-you-look-for-in-soundbar.html

Last edited:

moron+genius

Reaction score
Atmos means need Minimum 2 height Speakers So normal ear level 5.1 channels + 2 atmos height channels. Atmos speakers r recommended to be ceiling mounted or place on L/R speakers n reflect from ceiling. Go google more about atmos b4 deciding what u want. Sb generally using Ceiling reflection For atmos.

Ps: Sonos arc needs TV 2 haf Earc 4 u to enjoi lossless atmos. It’s troublesome 2 use. Goggle it. Other brands no such problem.

Hi

Can I check with you guys if I have got this right... I am thinking of getting a HT system, playing music too at times. Am considering an AVR which features Atmos these days. But I'm told that for the Atmos to work, I need a 7 channel speaker arrangement at least. I got space for 5 channel max. So I'm now thinking whether I should abandon the AVR since I cannot do Atmos and instead get a Sonos Arc which can.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

Atmos min at 5.1.2, the 2 is ceiling. or you can buy those speakers that put ontop of speakers to bounce sound. Do you have speakers and sub? it may not be as simple as getting a AVR if speakers not good. ask yourself what is your budget? if no room for AVR system soundbar option is also better than TV audio.
https://www.jamo.com/products/s-8-atm
JAMO-DOLBY-ATMOS.jpg

Sonos u have the up firing speakers and the side firing ones. But it really depends on your room. if no wall to reflect, u not getting the effect. as with reviews reflect is never better than direct. TV also has atmos but 2 speakers not sure how they doing 7 channel sound. anyway sonos has 11 drivers, 3 tweeters, 8 custom woofers to do 7 channels. I think if u get regular speakers it will be at least 5 tweeters and 8 woofer and size of those at least 4" woofer to like 8" woofer.
https://www.techhive.com/article/3561270/sonos-arc-review.html
sonos-arc-exploded-view-002-100841037-large.jpg

Last edited:

tk

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
affordable. price is at $99 at popular but one thing i personally dislike is wired woofer.

$99 is the Stage, not the Stage V2 which is $149. I have used the Stage for a few months after my avr died. It's loud but not really great so eventually sold off and bought another avr to use with my 5.1 speakers.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
I am just using it in my room (not living room).
And yes, sounds do come from top and sides.
Bass (without woofer) was surprisingly good too.

I bought it by chance seeing it on Carousell and also initially wanted a really small footprint soundbar for Gaming & Netflix.

A gem that many may have missed out.

Do go read the reviews or Youtube about it.

u mean atmos from 2 ch source?

hawthawthawt

Master Member
Reaction score
Personally, not worth it. Its doesnt even support atmos. For the price i suggest that u pay a little bit more to get the sonos arc.
ya was considering between bose and sonos.

any reviews on the bose 700 or sonos arc/playbase?

hotcakespree

Reaction score
I am using the Creative Stage v1 that doesn't output sound for Netflix 5.1 and Disney+ 5.1. Looking to change to one that can, any recommendation for a budget soundbar? TIA!

akdwivedi

Reaction score
I am using Samsung soundbar Q90R. Its quite low profile, audio quality is good, used for TV, blue ray movies and music. havent done much test on atmos based content but it does support as it has upward firing speakers.

its a bit expensive I wished it would come in below 1K :)

dreamaurora

Reaction score
Amazon SG is selling Sonos Playbase for $513. Does this always go on sale at this price?

Anybody using this now and how is the sound? I’m planning to put this under my 43 inch Samsung TV I’m using now as monitor for my desktop.

hotcakespree

Reaction score
I am using the Creative Stage v1 that doesn't output sound for Netflix 5.1 and Disney+ 5.1. Looking to change to one that can, any recommendation for a budget soundbar? TIA!

I ended up with a LG SN8YG. Now Netflix 5.1 and Disney+ have sound via Sony TV.

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using sonos here have issue playing songs on Spotify via google assistant voice command ?

Just got a Sonos beam recently and 85% of the time when I asked google assistant via the google home function of the Sonos beam to play songs from my Spotify, confirm will have message telling me “ I can’t do that here but you can blah blah blah” or” I looked for xxx but it either isn’t available or blah blah “.

Same issue happened to my google routines with Spotify command in them.

Previously no issue with my google nest mini so I think it’s confirm sonos issue.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Previously no issue with my google nest mini so I think it’s confirm sonos issue.

U cannot confirm based on that statement.
Previously is when? A few days ago?
If u tested them minutes apart you can confirm.
Days apart hard to tell, changes in cloud does happen
Cannot do it error, can be device not supported. Issue maybe on either side hard to tell
Cannot find song on Spotify, that most likely is a cloud issue. Searching Spotify happens on the cloud. It can be misrec causing issue, then soon mic maybe having issues.

Last edited:

IceX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U cannot confirm based on that statement.
Previously is when? A few days ago?
If u tested them minutes apart you can confirm.
Days apart hard to tell, changes in cloud does happen
Cannot do it error, can be device not supported. Issue maybe on either side hard to tell
Cannot find song on Spotify, that most likely is a cloud issue. Searching Spotify happens on the cloud. It can be misrec causing issue, then soon mic maybe having issues.

Yes just hours apart of the testing.

Seems to have found a temp workaround.

Instead of saying hey google play cafe music or play cafe music on Spotify, I have to instead say hey google play cafe music on sonos beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.