Soundbar discussion Thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

slogd3ad

Reaction score
Hi i'm not good in comparing audiophile products thus can anyone suggest me an awaesome soundbar for movies, tv shows & gaming on a TV.

I'm interested in 5.1 soundbar, but not sure if 5.1 type isn't all useful for daily local/netflix tv shows. As in local tv shows don't have true 5.1 audio playback only stereo. Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I browsed some soundbar from courts and audiohouse website gives me a headache, some unbelievable cheap ones not sure if it's the old model or what.

Let me know if you guys can recommend me those under $500 budget (maybe $600 if can stretch out a lil bit) soundbar (5.1 preferred or 2.1 at least)..

Thank you!

fishdundee

Reaction score
Got it, thanks! :D

TV only has 3 HDMI so if soundbar takes 1, i only left 2 (Mi Box S takes the other 1), only left 1.

Does this mean that even if the other devices are on another HDMI, I still can just use the tv remote to control everything?

I just ordered a HDMI Arc capable soundbar, most likely it will have to go to the hdmi arc/cec capable port. My shield tv will then have to occupy another hdmi port instead.

I am using the LG smart TV.

twinman

Reaction score
LG SL8YG soundbar

brought LG SL8YG soundbar with Atmos.

Anyone here using this same model or same series (SL9YG or SL10YG),
I have some questions

1) wireless sub woofer drop connection from main unit regularly and pickup again. Anyone experience the same or it is just me?

2) I don't have the rear speakers (it is a separate purchase). What should be setting for Rear Speaker Output on LG WiFI- Speaker app

Appreciate your inputs or comments?

fishdundee

Reaction score
Does this mean that even if the other devices are on another HDMI, I still can just use the tv remote to control everything?

I just ordered a HDMI Arc capable soundbar, most likely it will have to go to the hdmi arc/cec capable port. My shield tv will then have to occupy another hdmi port instead.

I am using the LG smart TV.

Got my answer after trying out the soundbar, so yup, its still one remote controlling almost everything.

Anyway, the soundbar I ordered is the Denon DHT-S216H. Simple as it looks, initial impression is that the sound quality is really good. Music is crisp and clear. Not exactly a main stream choice, but I am glad I made that buy.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Got my answer after trying out the soundbar, so yup, its still one remote controlling almost everything.

Anyway, the soundbar I ordered is the Denon DHT-S216H. Simple as it looks, initial impression is that the sound quality is really good. Music is crisp and clear. Not exactly a main stream choice, but I am glad I made that buy.
Wah, another Denon S216 user here. :s13: Did you try it out before buying? I also no regret with the purchase, bought it before circuit breaker and there was a launch promo @ 349. Totally worth the money, only thing I don't like is the less than intuitive LED display to show the volume which is pretty useless and need to guess how high the volume is. :s22: Which it had a simple mobile app or something but I guess can't have everything, at least the sound quality is awesome.

fishdundee

Reaction score
Wah, another Denon S216 user here. :s13: Did you try it out before buying? I also no regret with the purchase, bought it before circuit breaker and there was a launch promo @ 349. Totally worth the money, only thing I don't like is the less than intuitive LED display to show the volume which is pretty useless and need to guess how high the volume is. :s22: Which it had a simple mobile app or something but I guess can't have everything, at least the sound quality is awesome.

Still exploring the soundbar, sound quality wise, intrumental,classical, new age music, very good, very clear and can even hear the plucking of guitar strings and stuff....

I kinda felt the vocal is a bit hollow esp when you lower the volume, something i did not detect at the showroom.

This is one of the music piece I tried playing at home.

https://youtu.be/jJfCI3FL9WI

then again I am benchmarking this against my bluesound pulse P900.

I will probably consider an external subwoofer later on.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Still exploring the soundbar, sound quality wise, intrumental,classical, new age music, very good, very clear and can even hear the plucking of guitar strings and stuff....

I kinda felt the vocal is a bit hollow esp when you lower the volume, something i did not detect at the showroom.

This is one of the music piece I tried playing at home.

https://youtu.be/jJfCI3FL9WI

then again I am benchmarking this against my bluesound pulse P900.

I will probably consider an external subwoofer later on.
The hollow voices go away when you increase the volume a bit from my experience.

fishdundee

Reaction score
The hollow voices go away when you increase the volume a bit from my experience.

yes it does, but somehow... still not there, just dunno how to say. I think this is the issue with most soundbars (even the expensive ones) in any case. They just amplify the voice.

Anyway, I am not complaining, comparing dollar to dollar, the Denon is really quite an obvious choice.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there, just wanted to ask a question here after living with the 'problem' for the last 5 years since I got the tv and sound bar...

I use a Sony KDL-70W850B tv and a Sharp HT-SB60 soundbar... my issue is that the dialogue in movies always sound muffled... like a lack of a centre speaker like that... and I have to tune the volume right up which then results in the audio being too loud in the noisier scenes and I have to quickly tune volume down... Whether I stream videos or watch DVD or Bluray (using Sony BDP-S5200), I tend to have this issue... in fact at the beginning I found the tv speakers to be superior in terms of clarity of speech... any idea why? I usually use the 'News' preset on the soundbar to try to amp up the dialogue and sacrifice the bass by tuning it right down (-5) setting on my soundbar... it helps a bit but it's downright annoying now that I use the tv and soundbar much more during this circuit breaker period... I don't seem to have an issue with news telecast or travel programmes on Starhub tv... just movies in general (I of course realise that some actors simply just mumble their lines lar...)

I chose the Sharp soundbar cos it was the longest available then and matched the length of my tv and thought that stereo separation would be better...

Any advice or ideas how to improve the dialogue clarity? Or is it just my ears?

Thank you for any advice... I live in a HDB executive flat... tv is in the hall, where the right side is a slightly curved panel of windows (balcony) and the left side is a floor to ceiling wooden cabinets... the hall is rather large - much longer than wide... the tv is across the shorter side... I would guess about 12 feet from the sofa...

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I chose the Sharp soundbar cos it was the longest available then and matched the length of my tv and thought that stereo separation would be better...

movies dialogues are pretty low on most movies, you have to use diff eq then

moron+genius

Reaction score
Seems like ur SB is 2.1 so no center channel. U need 2 downmix the audio to 2 channels.
Hi there, just wanted to ask a question here after living with the 'problem' for the last 5 years since I got the tv and sound bar...

I use a Sony KDL-70W850B tv and a Sharp HT-SB60 soundbar... my issue is that the dialogue in movies always sound muffled... like a lack of a centre speaker like that... and I have to tune the volume right up which then results in the audio being too loud in the noisier scenes and I have to quickly tune volume down... Whether I stream videos or watch DVD or Bluray (using Sony BDP-S5200), I tend to have this issue... in fact at the beginning I found the tv speakers to be superior in terms of clarity of speech... any idea why? I usually use the 'News' preset on the soundbar to try to amp up the dialogue and sacrifice the bass by tuning it right down (-5) setting on my soundbar... it helps a bit but it's downright annoying now that I use the tv and soundbar much more during this circuit breaker period... I don't seem to have an issue with news telecast or travel programmes on Starhub tv... just movies in general (I of course realise that some actors simply just mumble their lines lar...)

Thank you for any advice... I live in a HDB executive flat... tv is in the hall, where the right side is a slightly curved panel of windows (balcony) and the left side is a floor to ceiling wooden cabinets... the hall is rather large - much longer than wide... the tv is across the shorter side... I would guess about 12 feet from the sofa...

carrrt

Reaction score
Denon S216 $399 vs LG Sk8y w Rear speakers $400(no more warranty).

Which to pick? :s11:

any btw important question is, Will a Atmos Soundbar work on a Non-Atmos TV when I play Atmos titles from Netflix thru it? Or both Soundbar and TV must be Atmos supported to work?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

KYLee

Reaction score
brought LG SL8YG soundbar with Atmos.

Anyone here using this same model or same series (SL9YG or SL10YG),
I have some questions

1) wireless sub woofer drop connection from main unit regularly and pickup again. Anyone experience the same or it is just me?

2) I don't have the rear speakers (it is a separate purchase). What should be setting for Rear Speaker Output on LG WiFI- Speaker app

Appreciate your inputs or comments?
Have you try updating the latest FW?

fishdundee

Reaction score
Denon S216 $399 vs LG Sk8y w Rear speakers $400(no more warranty).

Which to pick? :s11:

any btw important question is, Will a Atmos Soundbar work on a Non-Atmos TV when I play Atmos titles from Netflix thru it? Or both Soundbar and TV must be Atmos supported to work?

Thanks a lot!

The TV must supports hdmi 2.1 or eArc, to be able to output the more advance audio formats to the external speakers.

If you are using a tv box to stream, some soundbars have an extra hdmi port, attach the android box to the sound bar and then soundbar to the hdmi. In this case, the sound bar will be able to receive the audio format as it is.

Last edited:

lzy1987

Reaction score
Need some help for new soundbar for my living room. Mainly for watching TV shows and Youtube (for my kids), occasionally Netflix.

Budget $350-$650:
1) Denon S216
2) Sony HT-X8500
3) Sonos Beam

If there are better soundbar at this price range do recommend. Thanks!

fishdundee

Reaction score
Need some help for new soundbar for my living room. Mainly for watching TV shows and Youtube (for my kids), occasionally Netflix.

Budget $350-$650:
1) Denon S216
2) Sony HT-X8500
3) Sonos Beam

If there are better soundbar at this price range do recommend. Thanks!

Maxing out your budget, just go for the beam. Tons of features and a lot of upgrade options. support internet streaming media

Value for money: Sony Ht-X8500, probably the only soundbar that supports Dolby Atmos at its price range

Good, but willing to forego some features (mostly unnecessary anyway), Denon S216

Considering your budget range, you are spoilt for choices. You need to also consider if you get a higher end sound bar, will your TV be able to take advantage of the features, the more expensive soundbars supports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.