HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Soundbar discussion Thread V [consolidated]

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #121
Supremacy Member

Went to Harvey Norman again to test Samsung Q90R.

It was in an open area, not a enclosed room.

With the rear speakers, i find that the sound provided enough oompf, dialogue clarity and also surround sound from front and rear.

Did not managed to hear the sound from top but probably also its too noisy from all around.

Most prob will be getting Samsung Q90R since i also may be getting Samsung 7400 65Ē TV.
Shouldnt you pair it with Q90R TV as well?
zXioNGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 08:32 PM   #122

Hi friends, I have 2 rooms and 2 TVs so I am looking for 2 soundbars

1. Living Room - Samsung Q60R

Living is huge, 6m x 10m but the effective listening distance is probably 3-4m max. My wife would like to play music and stream Netflix or any other streaming services, as well as movies once in a while. Looking for something with a decent bass, hence options that come without subwoofer were not considered. Was looking at the Sony HT-Z9F or Yamaha YAS-209 but open to other options

2. Entertainment Room - LG OLED C9

Standard HDB bedroom size, but because of the TV capability, am prefereably looking for one that can support eARC. Primary use will be for gaming or for streaming + movies. Was initially considering the HT-X9000F if we get the Z9F outside. However, if we go with the YAS209 in the living room, was considering the Z9F here with the option of upgrading to 5.1 in the future.

Budget not more than $2000 total. I can find the Z9F and X9000F for $899 & $629 at the moment. HN also having sale now so the YAS209 will be $588

What are your opinions on this set up? Any other recommendations will be appreciated

Last edited by inoutshakeitallabout; 22-03-2020 at 08:46 PM..
inoutshakeitallabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #123

Went down to test the Denon S216 soundbar this evening. Was looking for a single bar without subwoofer to put in my tiny bedroom. The soundbar impresses with its 2 built-in 3Ē subwoofer. Iíve tested a few compact soundbars at this price point and none left any deep impression with their bass except this one. Iím no audiophile so I canít comment much on the sound quality. To me, it sounded clear and nice with no muddiness and will probably do well in a small living room. There is just enough bass rumble to create slight immersive cinematic effect. Have yet to set up the bar in my room though. Will do it this weekend and see how it feels.
How much does it cost in sg? Interested too
dragonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 04:18 PM   #124
High Supremacy Member

Too bad this year no IT show, I gotten my Sony ST5000 last year for 1799 with further discounts, really a great catch as I went last day and stock only available 1 month later. Never regret getting it for my living room. As for bedroom, I'm using denon s514 and SONOS beam for another room. I must say these 2 are built towards sound instead of fancy stuffs. Will be adding a sub to my sonos beam later this year.

If you don't really need surround, beam + sub will be the best. If you need surround, you can add 2more SONOS one at the rear, but still I believe it won't beat my Sony HT5000 due to ATMOS and DTS missing on the SONOS. That said if I ever move Sony HT5000 to bedroom it would be a beast
that's why I stayed away from Sonos. Even though playing music from Sonos is really good

Hi friends, I have 2 rooms and 2 TVs so I am looking for 2 soundbars

1. Living Room - Samsung Q60R

Living is huge, 6m x 10m but the effective listening distance is probably 3-4m max. My wife would like to play music and stream Netflix or any other streaming services, as well as movies once in a while. Looking for something with a decent bass, hence options that come without subwoofer were not considered. Was looking at the Sony HT-Z9F or Yamaha YAS-209 but open to other options

2. Entertainment Room - LG OLED C9

Standard HDB bedroom size, but because of the TV capability, am prefereably looking for one that can support eARC. Primary use will be for gaming or for streaming + movies. Was initially considering the HT-X9000F if we get the Z9F outside. However, if we go with the YAS209 in the living room, was considering the Z9F here with the option of upgrading to 5.1 in the future.

Budget not more than $2000 total. I can find the Z9F and X9000F for $899 & $629 at the moment. HN also having sale now so the YAS209 will be $588

What are your opinions on this set up? Any other recommendations will be appreciated
Two different places with slightly similar uses

I will suggest getting a better soundbar with HDMI eArc for your entertainment room
Like Z9F (after firmware ver 2.016 update)

Also ensure that you are using HDMI 2.1 cables for connection between your TV, soundbar and your devices.

for your living room, you can probably get a soundbar which supports NFC and Spotify
Like Sony HT-X8500, HT-S350, LG SL7Y, Philips HTL-1508B, Samsung HWN400

But if you also want your living room soundbar to allow 4K or HDR passthrough using the HDMI Arc, then you might wanna look at Sony HT-X8500

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT

Last edited by Henabi; 23-03-2020 at 04:29 PM..
Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #125
Master Member

Looking at a soundbar for my son's room since I have purchased a 43" Smart TV. The reason is because he have a Nintendo Switch which I hope to have it to connected to a soundbar with HDMI input for better sound.
Looking at this budget JBL Bar Studio at the moment. of course something not expensive.

wanted to get xiaomi soundbar and use the tv audio out to the soundbar but audio out to soundbar I believe won't sound as good as direct HDMI. correct me if I am wrong.

found another budget model which is Sony HT-S100F

Last edited by rza29; 24-03-2020 at 03:24 PM..
rza29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #126

I will suggest getting a better soundbar with HDMI eArc for your entertainment room

Also ensure that you are using HDMI 2.1 cables for connection between your TV, soundbar and your devices.

for your living room, you can probably get a soundbar which supports NFC and Spotify

But if you also want your living room soundbar to allow 4K or HDR passthrough using the HDMI Arc, then you might wanna look at Sony HT-X8500

Thanks a lot for your recommendations. Will discuss with my wife
Old 24-03-2020, 04:15 PM   #127

that's why I stayed away from Sonos. Even though playing music from Sonos is really good

X8500 feels very expensive siah...
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #128

In the end my wife chose the Yamaha YAS-209, which is more ex, cos vocal clarity for music seems a lot clearer and it's her priority. We went to listen to those few soundbars within that price range and she likes that the best.

HN offered me $589 for the YAS-209, and $1189 for Sony HT-Z9F and SA-Z9R rear speakers, so most likely we will go with these 2 options.
Old 25-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #129

Went to Harvey Norman again to test Samsung Q90R.

It was in an open area, not a enclosed room.

With the rear speakers, i find that the sound provided enough oompf, dialogue clarity and also surround sound from front and rear.

Did not managed to hear the sound from top but probably also its too noisy from all around.

Most prob will be getting Samsung Q90R since i also may be getting Samsung 7400 65Ē TV.
Hi guys, understand that Q90R soundbar. It has 2 hdmi input and a hdmi arc.

Therefore, am i right to assume the following?

Mibox and ps4 plug into Q90R soundbarís 2 hdmi input port.

Connection Q90R soundbar to tv from soundbarís HdMI arc to TVís ARC?

Is there any considerations i need to take note for the TV then?

I just went up to Smart_Techís showroom and viewed xiaomi tv 5 pro. Itís a Qled tv with hdmi arc. Thinking whether should i go for xiaomi tv now, instead of samsung 7400 which is pricier and only LED.

P.S. Smart_Tech do provide 1yr warranty and they say that in the event that ur tv needs to be sent back to china for repair, they will provide you with a replacement set for the time being. So that, in a way, settles my worries for the warranty coverage.
nagase_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #130

Hi guys, understand that Q90R soundbar. It has 2 hdmi input and a hdmi arc.

Therefore, am i right to assume the following?

Mibox and ps4 plug into Q90R soundbarís 2 hdmi input port.

Connection Q90R soundbar to tv from soundbarís HdMI arc to TVís ARC?

Is there any considerations i need to take note for the TV then?

I just went up to Smart_Techís showroom and viewed xiaomi tv 5 pro. Itís a Qled tv with hdmi arc. Thinking whether should i go for xiaomi tv now, instead of samsung 7400 which is pricier and only LED.

P.S. Smart_Tech do provide 1yr warranty and they say that in the event that ur tv needs to be sent back to china for repair, they will provide you with a replacement set for the time being. So that, in a way, settles my worries for the warranty coverage.
Maybe you can xiaomi tv thread to know more.
caniggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 03:56 PM   #131

Senheisser ambeo soundbar free apple 4k tv this friday fyi.
caniggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #132

Maybe you can xiaomi tv thread to know more.
Ok thanks! will do that.
nagase_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #133
High Supremacy Member

actually... not really.

Sony singapore list it around $650

Gain city, Courts, Harvey Normal, Best Denki now all got crazy sales... combined with their [Price Matching] policy + [Best Price] tactics

Should be able to get it around 550?! or even lower
Henabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #134
High Supremacy Member

actually... not really.

Gain city, Courts, Harvey Normal, Best Denki now all got crazy sales... combined with their [Price Matching] policy + [Best Price] tactics

How is it against LG SL8Y? This one also can get close to $600 from 27.3 Lazada sales.
Old 26-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #135

actually... not really.

Well, I tried out X8500 and the Denon, the Denon sounds way better in everything even the voice clarity and it was cheaper. Maybe having all that connectivity option justifies the price, but not to me.
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.