LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #391
Master Member

On the Mibox, there are a few display setting. 1080p/i 60hz/50hz
720p/i 60hz/50hz.

As well as rgb 8bit/10bit,
Ycbcr422 8 bit/10 bit,
Ycbcr444 8 bit/10 bit.

Assuming I want the greatest stability and smoothest running of video and not the best picture quality, what is the best setting? My 32inch tv's resolution is 1366 x 768 .
Set to 720p since your TV resolution is only 1366*768 and it should be pretty decent on 32inch TV. The other settings should not matter too much.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #392

Just received the Mi Box S today. YouTube works right out of the box.

How do you guys sideload apks and what apks do you guys most frequently use for video content?
whucarezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #393
Master Member

Just received the Mi Box S today. YouTube works right out of the box.

How do you guys sideload apks and what apks do you guys most frequently use for video content?
suggest you exercise some basic courtesy of reading the past posts instead of waiting to be spoonfed. no offence but it's rather obvious you did not bother to do that.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Charlie_Zhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #394

I was trying to set up my box last night. But noticed that the keyboard did not pop up on screen, when asking for WIFI password.
Tried both airmouse and keyboard for the keying, but failed.

Did I miss out anything?

Any kind soul, pls advise.

Thank you.
zoomzoom5535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #395
Master Member

I was trying to set up my box last night. But noticed that the keyboard did not pop up on screen, when asking for WIFI password.
Tried both airmouse and keyboard for the keying, but failed.

Did I miss out anything?

Any kind soul, pls advise.

Thank you.
got any wireless or bluetooth keyboard to try?

Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #396

I tried all, including air mouse and wireless keyboard. None worked.

After a factory reset, the on-screen keyboard is back

Thank you.
zoomzoom5535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #397
Honorary Member

i bought a mi box 4, is there a way to watch the shows? it seems that the majority of it is being region locked
Old 05-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #398
Master Member

i bought a mi box 4, is there a way to watch the shows? it seems that the majority of it is being region locked
Even though Mi Box 4 is not a good buy for people here in general, still it can be used effectively especially for Chinese Entertainment.

A few tips.

1) Use VPN service like SpeedIn 快帆 and Transocks 穿梭 for the China regional locked services. You can use the free service first to see if they are worth paying or not. I've tried both and they can support 720p and even 1080p video. Take note the leading video apps like Tencent Video, Youku, iQiyi and Mango TV may only support 720p without paying for VIP and there will be ads.

2) Pay for VIP access, I found out Youku is accessible once I paid for the VIP access, same for QQ Music, without VPN. These two are very good for Chinese Entertainment. Then you get high quality music and 1080p video without ads, very much worth the money.

3) Install Dangbei Market
http://app.xiaomi.com/details?id=com.dangbeimarket

From Dangbei Market, you can then download more apps if the apps are not available from Xiaomi directly. Live TV apps and VOD apps are available and some of them do not require VPN.

4) Install apps from other web site.
Eg: 华文电视 is the legal Chinese Live TV apps approved by Chinese government targeting overseas Chinese market.
http://www.5itv.tv/

5) Using you mobile phone to cast to the Mi Box, it supports both iPhone and Android

6) More tips here including change the menu to English and app store.
https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaomi-mi-box-4/

Take note I do not own any Mi Box but I have 4 generic Android TV boxes. I also got first hand experience during my recent trip to China with two local Android smart TV and one super locked down ZTE Android IPTV box from China Mobile.

Just with the screen cast function and I can the two smart TV effectively. Side loading apps are also not difficult.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-01-2019 at 10:43 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #399
Master Member

Take note I do not own any Mi Box but I have 4 generic Android TV boxes. I also got first hand experience during my recent trip to China with two local Android smart TV and one super locked down ZTE Android IPTV box from China Mobile.

Just with the screen cast function and I can the two smart TV effectively. Side loading apps are also not difficult.
Hacking the ZTE is much more difficult and using Baidu I found the app to unlock the box to install the apps on the ZTE box. The app is an Android app and I actually used my Android TV box (I brought two for experiments) to install the hacking app to calculate the code required to unlock the ZTE box (Android 4.4, 1GB/16GB). After that I could install the Dangbei market and the other apps including screen mirror apps. But with only 1GB memory and an heavy original IPTV app, the box became sluggish, in the end I removed the Dangbei market and only keep three apps for my relative, Dangbei Desktop, HappyCast screen mirroring and iQiyi.

The new TCL 65 inch 4k TV comes with screen mirror function and you can use Airplay to cast to the TV. For Android you can scan the QR code to install the corresponding apps.

The old LG 47 inch FHD TV (Android 4.2, 1GB/8GB) came with a very old app market and I replaced with Dangbei and then installed some apps. Same as the ZTE box it became sluggish. So I removed all the apps but keep Dangbei Market since it seems be okay after the slow booting. Anyway he would not use this smart TV system much but more on the ZTE box and a local cable TV box (like Starhub Cable TV but very cheap annual fee).

Kind of interesting experiences for my China trip along with my VPN and shadowsocks server testing to bypass China Great Firewall.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #400
Master Member

mibox comes with a default app, but it doesn't mean you have to use it .

if you are interested mainly in chinese movies/drama. install these apps: 麻花影视tv版, 今日影视tv版, 小看吧tv, 完美视频大全TV版. Most come with 1080p video, don't have to use VPN

ask google how to get these apps, avoid using 3rd party app market because they will slow down the box, if you prefer to use app market to install these apps, uninstall the market after you set up the box.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #401
Master Member

ask google how to get these apps, avoid using 3rd party app market because they will slow down the box, if you prefer to use app market to install these apps, uninstall the market after you set up the box.
To uninstall the Dangbei or Shafa app market is a good tip especially for lower end box with only 1GB memory. I did not notice this for my 4 generic boxes because they all got 2GB or higher memory. But then I had first hand experiences with lower end or old smart TV and IPTV boxes with only 1GB memory during my short trip to China. Dangbei market slows down the box very obviously.

On the other hand, do not buy boxes with old Android version like 4.x and 5.x or boxes with only 1GB memory. New generations of Mi Boxes are usually with 2GB memory though.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-01-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Old 05-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #402
Master Member

your mibox4 is referring to the global version mi box S with Android TV OS or the china version? because both are called mibox4 when you go under device info.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #403
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi is it possible to install the tvb anywhere app onto the mi box ?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #404
Master Member

hi is it possible to install the tvb anywhere app onto the mi box ?
No based on the previous reports in this thread.

And there is no option to cast on the TV using Mi Box built-in ChromeCast function based on the previous report as well.

It is the same for Nvidia Shield TV if you want to take some comfort. TVB seems to sell certain type of boxes for some markets and that is probably why it puts some constraints on official Android TV boxes like Mi Box and Nvidia Shield TV. Just a guess.

Last edited by xiaofan; 07-01-2019 at 09:40 PM..
Old 07-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #405
Master Member

No based on the previous reports in this thread.

And there is no option to cast on the TV using Mi Box built-in ChromeCast function based on the previous report as well.

It is the same for Nvidia Shield TV if you want to take some comfort. TVB seems to sell certain type of boxes for some markets and that is probably why it puts some constraints on official Android TV boxes like Mi Box and Nvidia Shield TV. Just a guess.
tvb anywhere cannot be installed, but you can get rss player, rss media reader and media feed city from playstore. IMO, they are better and more current.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.