HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Xiaomi Android TV Box discussion II [consolidated]

Like Tree107Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #586

All right, got it. Version 3 or 4 doesn’t really make a lot of difference, just got to buy the Global Version or S version, that’s the crucial part.

Thanks for your help Xiaofan & Charlie! 👍
i recently bought it too and didn't know much about version numbers. what i was looking for was the 's', and so far my mi box s has been really good.
Old 14-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #587

I'm Keen to buy a MDZ-22-AB. Is it advisable to get warranty or non warranty sets? Please recommend where to buy from in SG? Prefer to buy directly rather than online. Please also advise what's a reasonable price to pay for warranty, non warranty sets? Thanks all.

Sent from Nextbit ROBIN using GAGT
Old 14-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #588
Master Member

I'm Keen to buy a MDZ-22-AB. Is it advisable to get warranty or non warranty sets? Please recommend where to buy from in SG? Prefer to buy directly rather than online. Please also advise what's a reasonable price to pay for warranty, non warranty sets? Thanks all.

Mi Box S should be is reliable enough so warranty should not be an issue. I have not heard anything about HW reliability issues.

Some Lazada shops seem to offer one year local seller warranty. Most shops only offer one month warranty. Most of them offer 7 day return as well.

Eg: one year local seller warranty, S$89
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3Ijg

The following shop Xiaomi Online is one of the most popular online shops to get Mi Box S as it often has offers. It states 6 months International Seller Warranty, not so sure if that helps you or not. S$83.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3quF

It has offer for the older MDZ-16-AB now at S$66 but no warranty.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3Hyn

Last edited by xiaofan; 14-04-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Old 14-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #589
Supremacy Member

both MDZ-16-AB and MDZ-22-AB versions does not have official SG Xiaomi warranty coverage as the devices are not available for sale by Xiaomi SG.

From what I understand (may not be applicable to all), some local sellers' so called "warranty" is to send it back overseas to where they got they stock from, likewise if you get it from an overseas seller, you would need to ship it overseas yourself and pray that the warranty is still valid.

personally I think prices online are generally cheaper than getting it from a shop, and chances of you kena chop carrot and convinced into paying for packages or IPTV subscriptions etc is another issue compared to buying it online.

TL;DR,
don't bother with paying extra money for "warranty" that some sellers offer. if you're worried about receiving a DOA set, buy from Lazada since they have the best return policy when compared to other local e-commerce platforms. if uplorry after one year, just get a new one. if you intend to get nvidia shield, buy from Amazon.

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT
Old 14-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #590
Supremacy Member

Xiaomi products have good hardware build and reliable components. Hardware failures are rare.

Having said that , it is important to buy from sellers with return policy and at least one week warranty. In case the set was damaged during the shipment.
Old 14-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #591

Hi. Is Xiaomi TV box able to watch Live IPTV or need to install the apps and subscribe and watch IPTV? Thanks.
Old 14-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #592
Master Member

Hi. Is Xiaomi TV box able to watch Live IPTV or need to install the apps and subscribe and watch IPTV? Thanks.
You have to install apps. Mi Box S comes with no IPTV apps itself.

There are free and paid IPTV apps. You can search the forum for more info.

General info for you to read to see which box to go.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/t...678618-94.html

IPTV subscription
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...5055948-7.html

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...78938-190.html

More popular IPTV subscriptions include Cloud TV, Dragon TV, myiptv 4k, Hao HD, etc. Just take note they may be blocked any time if there are IP rights holder complaints which can trigger high courts to order ISPs to block them, like Ubox UBTV.
s3856 likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 15-04-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Old 15-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #593

i bought xiaomi box S. i tried to watch HBO East - the game of thrones - on icloudtv and after a few minutes, the video keep hanging and restarting. any fixes? the videos inside are always lagging.

Last edited by Tan Gee Ming; 15-04-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Old 15-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #594
Master Member

i bought xiaomi box S. i tried to watch HBO East - the game of thrones - on icloudtv and after a few minutes, the video keep hanging and restarting. any fixes? the videos inside are always lagging.
I think you mean Cloud TV. Then you should ask them for support since you pay for the service.

It is not a Mi Box Issue as long as you have checked network speed is okay.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #595
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone know if Mi Box S works well with Hbo go and Netflix 4k?

Currently using Chromecast ultra but it's very buggy lately... HDMI CEC stopped working and corrupted the HDMI ports on my Samsung TV when it's plugged in
Old 18-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #596
Supremacy Member

Anyone know if Mi Box S works well with Hbo go and Netflix 4k?

Currently using Chromecast ultra but it's very buggy lately... HDMI CEC stopped working and corrupted the HDMI ports on my Samsung TV when it's plugged in
both apps you mentioned are preloaded into the device. in another words, they are meant to work well with it.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT
Old 18-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #597

Mibox S just got update for Auto frame rate switching. No more stuttering in Plex and Kodi anymore.

Anyone knows how to enable it for all apps?
Old 21-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #598
Master Member

Anyone know why my toggle cast from phone to mibox s won't work, but casting to my other chrome cast standalone will work? Any workaround?
Old 21-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #599
Master Member

Anyone know why my toggle cast from phone to mibox s won't work, but casting to my other chrome cast standalone will work? Any workaround?
There is a report of problems with Toggle as well in this thread. You can try the method mentioned by Gregory Choo in Page 32.
Old 21-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #600
Master Member

There is a report of problems with Toggle as well in this thread. You can try the method mentioned by Gregory Choo in Page 32.
Thank you, I've tried that but also face the same issue. I believe it is Toggle "cast" not properly developed. After casting, after the Toggle page, it will just be a black screen and it will just show loading on the phone. Hopefully Toggle will come out with an android tv version.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.