HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Xiaomi Android TV Box discussion II [consolidated]

Like Tree99Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #661

Hi guys, may I know which is the better quality audio connection to my 2.0 sound bar? BT or optical?

Sent from Xiaomi MI A2 using GAGT
a4973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #662

Hi guys, may I know which is the better quality audio connection to my 2.0 sound bar? BT or optical?

Sent from Xiaomi MI A2 using GAGT
Optical should be better than Bluetooth. Take note Mi Box S supports Dolby Digital and DTS pass through with HDMI and SPDIF. With HDMI it also supports Dolby Digital+. So if you have the necessary sound system (AV receiver or soundbar), you may want to consider HDMI first, then optical, last option is Bluetooth.

https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaom...AND_AUDIO_TEST
a4973 likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 09-05-2019 at 07:42 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #663

Optical should be better than Bluetooth. Take note Mi Box S supports Dolby Digital and DTS pass through with HDMI and SPDIF. With HDMI it also supports Dolby Digital+. So if you have the necessary sound system (AV receiver or soundbar), you may want to consider HDMI first, then optical, last option is Bluetooth.

https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaom...AND_AUDIO_TEST
yeah, unfortunately my 10 year old Plasma does not have HDMI ARC so i can only feed Mi Box S via HDMI to TV then using the 3.5mm mini optical out to soundbar optical in. now waiting for the 3.5mm to Toslink cable to arrive. currently using BT to send audio to sound bar.
thanks alot for all the advice. great forum!! & the Mi Box S is wonderful as well.
a4973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:10 PM   #664
Arch-Supremacy Member

Guys - I’m a newbie in Android TV boxes. I was thinking of getting the Mi Box S since it’s got Chromecast built in & it’s 4k. Can I check if I am able to install APK apps that can’t be found on Google Playstore on the Mi Box? TIA.
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #665

Guys - I’m a newbie in Android TV boxes. I was thinking of getting the Mi Box S since it’s got Chromecast built in & it’s 4k. Can I check if I am able to install APK apps that can’t be found on Google Playstore on the Mi Box? TIA.
Yes you can. The Google Play Store on Mi Box S is a curated collection of apps optimized for TV. It has less apps than the Google Play Store on your Android phone. But you can side load apps not no the Play Store.

Known exceptions: Toggle and Starhub Go. You can cast from phone though, but there are some reports of problems in casting Toggle in this thread.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #666
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes you can. The Google Play Store on Mi Box S is a curated collection of apps optimized for TV. It has less apps than the Google Play Store on your Android phone. But you can side load apps not no the Play Store.

Known exceptions: Toggle and Starhub Go. You can cast from phone though, but there are some reports of problems in casting Toggle in this thread.
Thanks! Even apps like Morpheus TV etc which can’t be found on Google Playstore at all? I heard that such apps infringe copyright contents that’s why they aren’t allowed on Google Playstore.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #667

Thanks! Even apps like Morpheus TV etc which can’t be found on Google Playstore at all? I heard that such apps infringe copyright contents that’s why they aren’t allowed on Google Playstore.
Better not to talk about such "copyright infringing" apps in this forum...

Anyway there are legitimate apps not on Google Play Store as well, for example 3rd party app store.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #668

FYI local Mi Stores like Mi Shop at Bedok, start to sell Mi Box S with one year warranty at S$99 (was S$109 initially). It is not bad if you want to get the box from a physical shop on the spot or if you value the warranty.

On the other hand, it is still cheaper to buy from online shops.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.VoYu
FYI, the above Lazada "Xiaomi Global Store", which I think does not belong to Xiaomi but is one of the best online shop to buy Mi Box S, just had a flash sell at S$73. But the sell is now sold out. Before this flash sell it was at S$83.

Last edited by xiaofan; 12-05-2019 at 06:50 PM..
Old 12-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #669
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just got this box off Lazada, is it really that much better to those other generic tv boxes?
vofzxy likes this.
duhduhduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #670
Supremacy Member

Just got this box off Lazada, is it really that much better to those other generic tv boxes?
popular choice, good overall choice

but of course, not everything will/might suit everyone
takes some getting useed to
vofzxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #671

All depending on your needs. But it is definitely a good value box to get. And for people who have no ideas of an Android TV box, it is the best entry point.

Copy from my other post.

https://youtu.be/uzjC64FKzWo

The above is a good summary why Mi Box S is often recommended as the streaming device to go.

1) It is a streaming device which makes your TV smart or smarter than it is now. This is true for TVs like those Samsung Tizen OS based smart TV, LG Webos based smart TV and even Xiaomi TV running Patchwall Android based OS.

2) It runs official Google Certified Android TV OS which is easy to use.

3) Very good streaming support due to running Certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K are supported.

4) Good Bluetooth voice remote with Google Assistant

5) Chromecast 4k function built-in. This is one of the best feature of Mi Box S. You can use apps like Netflix, YouTube, Starhub Go, SingTel TV Go, Singtel Cast, Toggle, HBO Go, Viu Premium, etc, on the phone (iOS or Android) and then cast to your TV with this function. Basically this covers most of the popular Streaming services here in Singapore. Take note you can still use your phone for other things after the shows started on the TV. You can run Netflix, YouTube, SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast on Mi Box S itself as well.

In terms of cost, typical cost in Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee is around S$70-90, depending on offer and coupon. Take note Chromecast Ultra (4k support) itself cost more than S$100. Even the cheaper Chromecast (1080p) costs more than S$50.

Last edited by xiaofan; 12-05-2019 at 09:27 PM..
Old 12-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #672

The main disadvantages of Mi Box S are the following.
1) The author mentions relatively weak CPU and occasionally lag or skip frame if you set the interface resolution as 4k. Still it is actually very good for streaming and even casual gaming due to good software optimization.

2) Relatively limited interface, only one USB 2.0 port and no Ethernet interface. Still take note the Dual Band AC WiFi works well.

3) Relatively small 8GB storage but you can add a fast USB Flash Drive to expand the storage

Point 2 and 3 can easily be sorted out by adding a cheap UGreen USB 2.0 hub with Ethernet.

Nvidia Shield TV (usually S$200++) have all the advantages of Mi Box S and none of the disadvantages of Mi Box S.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #673
Arch-Supremacy Member

The main disadvantages of Mi Box S are the following.
1) The author mentions relatively weak CPU and occasionally lag or skip frame if you set the interface resolution as 4k. Still it is actually very good for streaming and even casual gaming due to good software optimization.

2) Relatively limited interface, only one USB 2.0 port and no Ethernet interface. Still take note the Dual Band AC WiFi works well.

3) Relatively small 8GB storage but you can add a fast USB Flash Drive to expand the storage

Point 2 and 3 can easily be sorted out by adding a cheap UGreen USB 2.0 hub with Ethernet.

Nvidia Shield TV (usually S$200++) have all the advantages of Mi Box S and none of the disadvantages of Mi Box S.
I use China mi box and mi TV can watch free epl matches and now happily watching Liverpool vs wolves
tckrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:17 PM   #674
Arch-Supremacy Member

FYI local Mi Stores like Mi Shop at Bedok, start to sell Mi Box S with one year warranty at S$99 (was S$109 initially). It is not bad if you want to get the box from a physical shop on the spot or if you value the warranty.

On the other hand, it is still cheaper to buy from online shops.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.VoYu
FYI, the above Lazada "Xiaomi Global Store", which I think does not belong to Xiaomi but is one of the best online shop to buy Mi Box S, just had a flash sell at S$73. But the sell is now sold out. Before this flash sell it was at S$83.
Thanks! Is the Mi Shop at Bedok Mall? If it is I’ll go down on Tuesday to have a look. I really don’t mind the higher price as long as there’s warranty from Xiaomi itself & not these individual online shops.

I buy most of my IT stuff from Lazada & for the new branded items I always look for the manufacturer’s 1 year warranty.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #675

I use China mi box and mi TV can watch free epl matches and now happily watching Liverpool vs wolves
If you are only interested in Chinese apps then yes China version of Mi Box and Mi TVs are okay, no need to use Google Pay Store.

And yes if you do not mind Chinese dubbing then CCTV 5 and CCTV 5+ have live sports. There are other legitimate sports apps as well like Tencent Sports.

But for most users in this forum, better to buy Mi Box S.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.