HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Serious] Should I decouple from a jointly owned property?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Master Member

[Serious] Should I decouple from a jointly owned property?

Background:

I co-own the private property with my mother and brother that we currently live in. We plan to eventually sell the place and go our ways.

Now, my brother wishes to decouple from the property so that he and his wife can invest in a property though they have no immediate plans to move out.

The decoupling will leave my mom and I as the remaining owners of out current home, and the decoupling rules also barred us from selling our current home for 3 years.

As I'm single, my plans for the future include either getting a BTO 2 room flat or getting a three room resale flat.

HDB rules require that I wait three years after the sale our current home before I can apply for a BTO flat. There no such rules if I were to get a resale flat though.

Question: Should I also decouple from the property and let our mother be the sole owner so that I can be free to wait out the 3 years required by HDB? HDB also states that I can apply for a wavier to the three year period. Does anyone know about the success rate on such application for wavier? Any info would be much appreciated. TIA
jazz2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Master Member

Background:

I co-own the private property with my mother and brother that we currently live in. We plan to eventually sell the place and go our ways.

Now, my brother wishes to decouple from the property so that he and his wife can invest in a property though they have no immediate plans to move out.

The decoupling will leave my mom and I as the remaining owners of out current home, and the decoupling rules also barred us from selling our current home for 3 years.

As I'm single, my plans for the future include either getting a BTO 2 room flat or getting a three room resale flat.

HDB rules require that I wait three years after the sale our current home before I can apply for a BTO flat. There no such rules if I were to get a resale flat though.

Question: Should I also decouple from the property and let our mother be the sole owner so that I can be free to wait out the 3 years required by HDB? HDB also states that I can apply for a wavier to the three year period. Does anyone know about the success rate on such application for wavier? Any info would be much appreciated. TIA

Yes u and ur brother should decouple at the same time if both have plans to buy your own home and set up a family.
But u must Ensure ur current private property has been fully paid as I assume your mother was unable to take any loan due to her age limit.

If ur private property is still under loan, will you and your brother be able to fully pay it before your mum became the sole owner of this property?
Do also work out the decoupling sum, stamp duty incurred, lawyer fee etc to see if it worth the effort.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
Master Member

Yes u and ur brother should decouple at the same time if both have plans to buy your own home and set up a family.
But u must Ensure ur current private property has been fully paid as I assume your mother was unable to take any loan due to her age limit.

If ur private property is still under loan, will you and your brother be able to fully pay it before your mum became the sole owner of this property?
Do also work out the decoupling sum, stamp duty incurred, lawyer fee etc to see if it worth the effort.
Yes, our current home has been fully paid up. I guess the biggest advantage for me to decouple will be the flexibility to opt for a BTO or resale HDB flat after waiting out the no sale period. My greatest hurdle will be to raise the funds to repay the CPF I had used for the mortgage. Perhaps, I will need to borrow the money from my brother bt is so difficult to open my mouth.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #4

It's 30 months. Not 3 years.
PropExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Master Member

It's 30 months. Not 3 years.
OK, thanks.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
Master Member

Yes, our current home has been fully paid up. I guess the biggest advantage for me to decouple will be the flexibility to opt for a BTO or resale HDB flat after waiting out the no sale period. My greatest hurdle will be to raise the funds to repay the CPF I had used for the mortgage. Perhaps, I will need to borrow the money from my brother bt is so difficult to open my mouth.
Yes, the greatest hurdle is to raise fund to repay whatever cpf u n ur bro has contributed, plus accrued interest. So would selling off the private property makes more sense?

And also, what’s the % share ownership between the 3 of u?
If u and your brother has more % of ownership than your mum, well, then will incur more stamp duty if ur mum buys over the share from the 2 of u.

Of coz in the best setting, if your mum ownership is 98%, you n your bro 1% each, then very minimal BSD incurred.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #7
Master Member

Yes, the greatest hurdle is to raise fund to repay whatever cpf u n ur bro has contributed, plus accrued interest. So would selling off the private property makes more sense?

And also, what’s the % share ownership between the 3 of u?
If u and your brother has more % of ownership than your mum, well, then will incur more stamp duty if ur mum buys over the share from the 2 of u.

Of coz in the best setting, if your mum ownership is 98%, you n your bro 1% each, then very minimal BSD incurred.
My brother and I each holds 20% and the balance belongs to our mom. I hope to apply for a BTO 2 Rm flat so that will require about 5 years provided HDB agrees to waive the waiting period to apply for a flat after selling BTO applicants sell their private property. So selling immediately is out of the question as we need a roof over our heads.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.