Canberra Residences Resale

monomono29

Reaction score
Dear all, I would like to seek your advice and expertise. I'm looking for 2 BR resale condo with a budget around $850k.

I'm considering a few resale units at Canberra Residences, 99yrs from 2010 which TOP in 2015. It's about 700m for a 10 mins walk from Canberra MRT. The 2BR+1 study units are asking for $840k-$870k, about 900-930sqft which is a very comfortable size to live in. After much browing through the property app, Canberra Residences seems one of the most affordable resale condo in terms of price/sqft (average $960/sqft), with reasonable walking distance to MRT, as well as the amenities like Sembawang Shopping Ctr and the upcoming Canberra Plaza. I also quite like the low rise resort style and relatively low density, about 300-400 units.

However, I do have some concerns about the condo. Despite only 5 yrs from TOP, the exterior of the condo looks dirty, though I was told that they will undergo repainting soon. This seems to suggest that the condo management can be quite poor. I passed by the condo at night quite often and always notice quite many vacant units (without the light on). Also, the monthly maintenance is also relatively high, $400 per mth for a 900sqft unit. Location wise, I work in CBD area so no choice I have to compromise in terms of travelling.

What do you think of this development? With the new Visionaire and Brownstone just opposite, do you think Canberra Residences will benefit from the capital appreciation in future? Or should I consider other area? I'm not in the hurry to buy, so time is at my side.

Would love to hear more opinions though! Thank you!

Last edited:

wetdreamx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all, I would like to seek your advice and expertise. I'm looking for 2 BR resale condo with a budget around $850k.

I'm considering a few resale units at Canberra Residences, 99yrs from 2010 which TOP in 2015. It's about 700m for a 10 mins walk from Canberra MRT. The 2BR+1 study units are asking for $840k-$870k, about 900-930sqft which is a very comfortable size to live in. After much browing through the property app, Canberra Residences seems one of the most affordable resale condo in terms of price/sqft (average $960/sqft), with reasonable walking distance to MRT, as well as the amenities like Sembawang Shopping Ctr and the upcoming Canberra Plaza. I also quite like the low rise resort style and relatively low density, about 300-400 units.

However, I do have some concerns about the condo. Despite only 5 yrs from TOP, the exterior of the condo looks dirty, though I was told that they will undergo repainting soon. This seems to suggest that the condo management can be quite poor. I passed by the condo at night quite often and always notice quite many vacant units (without the light on). Also, the monthly maintenance is also relatively high, $400 per mth for a 900sqft unit. Location wise, I work in CBD area so no choice I have to compromise in terms of travelling.

What do you think of this development? With the new Visionaire and Brownstone just opposite, do you think Canberra Residences will benefit from the capital appreciation in future? Or should I consider other area? I'm not in the hurry to buy, so time is at my side.

I am also looking around that area because of my stubborn parents don’t wanna move out of north... I think among those, I’ll go for 1 Canberra. Let’s be neighbours, I’m still hunting though.

Vadher

Reaction score

Unlike commercial buildings where facade cleaning is carried out every 1 - 2 years, no maintenance done on the walls of a residential building (unless the units have like a full glass facade). I think BCA only requires condominiums to repaint once every 7-8 years, and the cost of doing so every time can be quite high depending on the unique constraints at every property. 5 years after TOP means it’s about 7 years old already...

Anyway, you probably can check out the amount of money inside the sinking fund also to make sure you won’t have to fork out extra for the upcoming repainting.

monomono29

Reaction score
I am also looking around that area because of my stubborn parents don’t wanna move out of north... I think among those, I’ll go for 1 Canberra. Let’s be neighbours, I’m still hunting though.
Any reason for 1 Canberra? I have yet to view the resale unit. Price wise it is quite similar to Canberra Residences, but the walking distance to Canberra MRT is relatively further, about 15 mins.

monomono29

Reaction score
Unlike commercial buildings where facade cleaning is carried out every 1 - 2 years, no maintenance done on the walls of a residential building (unless the units have like a full glass facade). I think BCA only requires condominiums to repaint once every 7-8 years, and the cost of doing so every time can be quite high depending on the unique constraints at every property. 5 years after TOP means it’s about 7 years old already...

Anyway, you probably can check out the amount of money inside the sinking fund also to make sure you won’t have to fork out extra for the upcoming repainting.
Thanks for the info... I hope to hear from the residents in Canberra Residendes about the MCST also. What do u think about maintenance fee of SGD400 per mth for a 900 sqft unit?

1993newbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pretty efficient layout for a 2+S with window at Study & Toilet, enclosed kitchen that comes with a yard and Bomb Shelter for storage purposes.
Location wise, it’s within walking distance to Canberra MRT & SSC. Pretty quiet enclave.
QiRLW5M.jpg

Here are 2 bedders transactions:
LNzJEKk.jpg

monomono29

Reaction score
Pretty efficient layout for a 2+S with window at Study & Toilet, enclosed kitchen that comes with a yard and Bomb Shelter for storage purposes.
Location wise, it’s within walking distance to Canberra MRT & SSC. Pretty quiet enclave.
QiRLW5M.jpg

Here are 2 bedders transactions:
LNzJEKk.jpg
Yes, I have viewed the units and the layout is quite efficient. My concerns is on the condo management, as I have seen a few online comments on the poor MCST. Would like to get more feedback and review on this development.

leeerwin

Reaction score
Hi TS,

I just secured a unit at 1 Canberra (going to exercise my option upon MOP).

I was looking at units nearby Canberra MRT since last year and I have viewed many units around this area. So, I would think I am very familiar with the surroundings and different developments.

If possible, I would like to share with you more about my thoughts. Please PM me your whatsapp and perhaps we can talk about this !

p/s: We have roughly the same budget =)

nydeidith

Reaction score
i rented there for one year when it TOP....was very ulu place back then...walking distance to sembawang shopping centre and the white bee hoon shop...the overall development was okay...swimming pool was nice...but the interior built quality was not so good...so be prepared to reno your place...see below article...one of the cabinet collapsed...

https://www.renoforum.sg/showthread...ollapses-due-to-poor-workmanship-and-inferior

wetdreamx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i rented there for one year when it TOP....was very ulu place back then...walking distance to sembawang shopping centre and the white bee hoon shop...the overall development was okay...swimming pool was nice...but the interior built quality was not so good...so be prepared to reno your place...see below article...one of the cabinet collapsed...

https://www.renoforum.sg/showthread...ollapses-due-to-poor-workmanship-and-inferior

That’s my thought and concern too... out of the Canberra drive projects, I think can buy Huan is 8 courtyard, 1 canberra and Yishun sapphire/emerald... I used to stay emerald when younger like 15 years ago.

Been seeking at 1 Canberra in fact many residents wanna get 2nd unit. Canberra residences sounds nicer name but heard quality not so...

When to see the bounce out unit at The Visionaire, not bad... but some of their blocks outside the paint falling... less than 2.5 years since TOP... qingjian.

So yea. Let me know if got better choices too TS. Less than $1100 psf Mai hiam lah

Eraval

Master Member
Reaction score
I've seen 8 Courtyards, 1 Canberra, Nautical and even Skyparks but never Canberra Residences. Been advised by people who went to view to not bother and I took their advice cause the exterior really look quite bad for me. Feel like the management there don't bother to do their job to let it look so bad.

leeerwin

Reaction score
I've seen 8 Courtyards, 1 Canberra, Nautical and even Skyparks but never Canberra Residences. Been advised by people who went to view to not bother and I took their advice cause the exterior really look quite bad for me. Feel like the management there don't bother to do their job to let it look so bad.

I concur with you. I viewed all the developments around this area and I find the maintenance at Canberra residences left a lot to be desired. Like it's really poor.

krazyhippo

Reaction score
Why not The Nautical? It's looks much more well managed and nicer. The price also much higher

vap0r86

Reaction score
If you are considering the north, maybe can look at the EC clusters Twin Fountains/Forestville/Bellewoods. 2 of these approaching MOP early next year. <10 mins walk to the new TEL and better access to expressways if you drive

Storm7979

Reaction score
Plus point for canberra residence other than being near the canberra mrt, you are also near the future bukit canberra just across the road which is slated to complete in 2021. Will have many amenities at your doorstep.
Will also consider Nautical, visionaire(once they mop)

leeerwin

Reaction score
The Nautical is a very solid development. The pools are huge ! Also sembawang shopping centre right at your doorstep depending on the block.

wetdreamx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Nautical is a very solid development. The pools are huge ! Also sembawang shopping centre right at your doorstep depending on the block.

Really? I’m contemplating with this or 1 Canberra resale EC.

leeerwin

Reaction score
Really? I’m contemplating with this or 1 Canberra resale EC.

Have you been looking around this area ? I can share some experiences I had. Pm me your WhatsApp and maybe we can discuss in detail ! Don't worry I am not agent, just a recent buyer in one canberra

Eraval

Master Member
Reaction score
Have you been looking around this area ? I can share some experiences I had. Pm me your WhatsApp and maybe we can discuss in detail ! Don't worry I am not agent, just a recent buyer in one canberra

u just buy ah, how many rooms de

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.