HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2021, 04:10 AM   #1

Dilemma

My resale 5 room HDB going to reach 5 year MOP. Currently renting 2 rooms rent out at $800 for each room. Now thinking whether to sell and buy 1 bedder resale condo.
wongdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #2

Just stay in your 5-room HDB and collect rental from the rooms till you can afford a second property.
holasingapura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #3

My resale 5 room HDB going to reach 5 year MOP. Currently renting 2 rooms rent out at $800 for each room. Now thinking whether to sell and buy 1 bedder resale condo.
Why do you need a condo?

You are getting $1600 for each room.

You might as well rent out the 3rd room for another $1000 (I am guessing a masterbed room)

and then rent a 2 bedder condo for $2.2k+.

And still pocket $200 to $300 in cash and full privacy.
momoeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
High Supremacy Member

I suppose you would want to stay in the resale condo after that? Capital appreciation can be limited, and you would not generate any passive income from it if it is for ownstay.

If you can afford a 2nd property, go for this option instead. I would assume capital appreciation and passive income is not your priority given that you are in a dilemma on this. If so, I would rather pay 12% ABSD for a 2nd property, stay in the resale condo as what you would prefer, while still collecting rental income from renting out the whole HDB unit.

In the long run, the rental income would offset the ABSD paid, and anything after would be your gain.

Of course, perhaps selling the flat now if it is not too old and get immediate profit would sound good, but it would not be worth turning back from investment point of view if you were to sell the HDB flat and buy a 1 bedder, and want to go back to HDB in the future.
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why do you need a condo?

You are getting $1600 for each room.

You might as well rent out the 3rd room for another $1000 (I am guessing a masterbed room)

and then rent a 2 bedder condo for $2.2k+.

And still pocket $200 to $300 in cash and full privacy.
Full privacy is the key word

Which is becoming very underrated recently
Darwinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #6

I suppose you would want to stay in the resale condo after that? Capital appreciation can be limited, and you would not generate any passive income from it if it is for ownstay.

If you can afford a 2nd property, go for this option instead. I would assume capital appreciation and passive income is not your priority given that you are in a dilemma on this. If so, I would rather pay 12% ABSD for a 2nd property, stay in the resale condo as what you would prefer, while still collecting rental income from renting out the whole HDB unit.

In the long run, the rental income would offset the ABSD paid, and anything after would be your gain.

Of course, perhaps selling the flat now if it is not too old and get immediate profit would sound good, but it would not be worth turning back from investment point of view if you were to sell the HDB flat and buy a 1 bedder, and want to go back to HDB in the future.
I can only afford to sell current HDB to have funds and top up a bit more for a 1 bedder condo and yup privacy is a major concern as i always different charbo back home piak piak
wongdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #7

I think your current hdb is serving you well in terms of cashflow and privacy already! Great life you have there
I can only afford to sell current HDB to have funds and top up a bit more for a 1 bedder condo and yup privacy is a major concern as i always different charbo back home piak piak
homechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #8

Don’t wait. Sell HDB ASAP and buy condo. Confirm can bring home more charbo. You bring charbo back to hdb she also sian half. Some more rent 2 rooms out cannot piak full volume. Bring back to nice condo can suggest go swimming next day and do repeat business.

Money can earn back but days of piak piak limited. 😂🤣
okaypokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.