How to find the best BTO flat?

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By surferpunk
  • 1 Post By Pokémon
  • 2 Post By 1982-1994

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2020, 11:47 PM   #1

How to find the best BTO flat?

just for that title, I know I should have done more research. but i'm just gonna share mine and hope others will add on for everyone's benefit. to some, buying a bto can be intimidating. so, I hope this thread can be a one stop place for all. let me know if there's any other similar thread. I tried going back 5 pages, cannot find something similar.

anyway, my experience of buying bto is like a lucky draw. get a good queue and suddenly can pick from everything. otherwise, can spend another $10 for the next one. haha!

otherwise, by convention, buying the highest floor is always the must if you can. easy to sell, no neighbour upstairs.

if low floor, avoid those near the thrash area or even worse, coffeeshop.

avoid 2nd floor, if the area is high foot traffic, especially if in between blocks.

but i realise, top floor is only slightly higher than other floors. and i see some ground floor units have higher ceilings. I saw one even at almost 3m.

a good place to avoid is probably punggol. BTOs are popping up almost everywhere. prices are increasing because of the hype there. is there any new nice area to look at? sometimes, i wonder if the bto at tengah is worth it just because it's cheaper than most others.

what are the perks that you guys look out for in a bto? location? or balcony? or any other wow factors to look out for? surely beside the MRT is a good plus.

otherwise, please feel free to add your experiences and opinions.
Polar Bear King likes this.
surferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
Great Supremacy Member

to some near parents and or in-law is the best
whereas others wanna stay as far away as possible from them

some people prefer bigger unit whereas others are happy with their small house

near mrt better be an underground station
mrt track runs almost 24 hours, either servicing commuters or engineer servicing tracks

one man's meat is another man's poison
dnsfpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

There is no such thing as best, only better.

Everyone has different preferences and luck, so when they cannot get what they prefer most (due to queue), they can only settle for the next better (from the worse) choice.

Even when you get the place you really feel is the best, you might not have a good neighbour next door...

Some like a bigger space, so you must also have the $$$ to afford.
iphone1s likes this.
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 02:31 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

I tried my luck for 3rm BTO in the central region without any scheme as first timer and I was damn shocked to get it

picked a sun facing corner unit since it has the most privacy. 3 units away to the thrash area/lift lobby, 4 storeys below the highest, unblocked view ECP with private properties in-between, can see fireworks, 50m away to underground MRT.
5mins walk to train platform from house, 10-20mins journey to work depending on timing

many people said it is so expensive, but can't complain much for it's prime location

still, my dream house is those old HDB units at marine parade facing the sea
1982-1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just avoid Sengkang & Punggol.

U should be fine.

As for why, search the threads
jerichoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

I tried my luck for 3rm BTO in the central region without any scheme as first timer and I was damn shocked to get it

picked a sun facing corner unit since it has the most privacy. 3 units away to the thrash area/lift lobby, 4 storeys below the highest, unblocked view ECP with private properties in-between, can see fireworks, 50m away to underground MRT.
5mins walk to train platform from house, 10-20mins journey to work depending on timing

many people said it is so expensive, but can't complain much for it's prime location

Congrats on getting the dream bto😁 to ur jelly friends and relatives who said it is exp, they are just plain jealous, any one of the attributes u mention is already worth the price u paying. Imagine watching the fireworks, wow..
pippo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 08:31 PM   #7

Unpopular opinion: HDBs are not expensive, you are just entitled

https://www.99.co/blog/singapore/unp...just-entitled/
1993newbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #8

probably similar to me. bought a 3 room with nice queue number. flipped it out already for almost double the price. it's really like winning toto. purely luck! prime location sure expensive. but I think the income ceiling for 3 room really helps to push up the price. from $8k last time to $12k and now $14k. price for 3 room really got room to grow.

Just avoid Sengkang & Punggol.

U should be fine.

As for why, search the threads
haha! i'm from punggol. planning to get out and find a new place. but not sure where yet. alkaff sounds tempting though.

Unpopular opinion: HDBs are not expensive, you are just entitled

https://www.99.co/blog/singapore/unp...just-entitled/
calculate the total cost and interest, divided by its 99 year lease and it's monthly cost is actually cheap. only reason it's expensive is that you need to pay the bulk of it earlier. want location, pay more. want high floor, pay more. if u have zero preference, bto flat is quite affordable.

otherwise, what I'm trying to say is... what's the cons of buying first floor unit for new bto? first floor high ceiling worth? or first floor in older blocks are better? buying a unit that's leftover but near the lift, okay? I mean let's share the experiences of living in different units of an estate. at least, others can weigh it out instead of choosing a "bad" unit, suck it up for 5 years and sell it at a loss later.

for sure, AVOID buying an unit with a coffeeshop below. The smell rise up and can really affect your selling price. that's something that most new buyers may not know when they buy a flat.
surferpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.