How much does it cost to change one flourescent light to LED in HDB?

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone switched to LED lights from flourescent circular light at home? How much does it cost to hire an electrician to change to LED per flourescent tube?

Last edited:

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone switched to LED lights from flourescent tube? How much does it cost to hire an electrician to change to LED per flourescent tube?

I just shorted the ballast, and removed the starter. ..

Then fit the LED tube in... and it worked... :s13:

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just shorted the ballast, and removed the starter. ..

Then fit the LED tube in... and it worked... :s13:

May I ask what do you mean shorted the ballast? Is the ballast needed for LED? Can the ballast be removed totally?

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
May I ask what do you mean shorted the ballast? Is the ballast needed for LED? Can the ballast be removed totally?

Of course you can remove the ballast as it is not required. Also do not put the starter in.

It's better if you study the circuit first before proceeding to DIY. :)

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard the LEDs that are secured using magnets are easiest to install and maintain. Is this correct? Any risk of magnet getting loose and falling onto our heads?

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard the LEDs that are secured using magnets are easiest to install and maintain. Is this correct? Any risk of magnet getting loose and falling onto our heads?

Circular lights are different from long flourescent tubes.

TS asked about flourescent tubes. :)

bojangle

Reaction score
very easy to change, just connect the driver directly onto the power source cable after remove the ballast, starter and light tube.
the driver is like the ballast.

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake. I actually meant circular lights. My HDB uses circular lights.
When you replace the flourescent circular tubes with led circular fittings, the holding magnets are quite safe as there is no movement.

.. Those led fittings are very good. :s13:

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do note.. circular tubes.. many are currently using the extra bright version.

When changing to LED, it will use less power, but the brightness may not match those extra bright models.

Changing PLC type downlights to flat panel LED makes perfect sense, but extra bright Flourescent to LED not so clear cut. E27 LED still the most idiot proof type of bulb

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do note.. circular tubes.. many are currently using the extra bright version.

When changing to LED, it will use less power, but the brightness may not match those extra bright models.

Changing PLC type downlights to flat panel LED makes perfect sense, but extra bright Flourescent to LED not so clear cut. E27 LED still the most idiot proof type of bulb

I have a circular 22W flourescent light at home toilet and I want to replace it with LED of similar brightness. How much wattage should this LED have? Any rule of thumb as guidance?

FinchGuy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take pic of the driver specs before you install, then buy a spare on eBay. Few $ only.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.