HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Law firm calculated wrongly. Got charged twice for property tax

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #1

Law firm calculated wrongly. Got charged twice for property tax

Hi every one ,

I already completed purchase of pte condo. In the purchase, I was charged for the property tax. $300+

Few weeks after the completion, IRAS mailed a tax notification to me asking for $290 property tax

I emailed my law firm on 21 Oct. My law firm told me on 5 Nov that the seller law firm is on vacation

Now is almost 3 weeks since I informed my law firm and I don't know what are they doing

I asked my law firm, if the case is not settled, who is going to pay the fine for late payment. I also asked, why are the charges for property different. Why am I paying more.

They didn't reply me

Pissed off sia

How? What can I do? Do i file a tribunal claim against the law firm?

Should I pay IRAS first? I already emailed Iras for extension and they have extended to end Nov

Thanks in advance!
dumbothecute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #2

IIRC, pay to IRAS anyway, later IRAS will reimburse back after detecting double pay.
rizhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #3

IIRC, pay to IRAS anyway, later IRAS will reimburse back after detecting double pay.
Thanks

Any possibility that nothing was paid to IRAS and it was error on the law firm side?
Old 08-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

If established law firm, no worry. They know what they are doing.

Resale? More steps you need you take, you need indicate IRAS you are owner occupying, then pay the owner occupying tax. IRAS will compute the fail amount for buyer and seller as per pro rated for both parties. I remember take quite a while to settle down, and reimburse amount came to me.
rizhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Yea I got reimbursed after 3weeks. A cheque will be mailed to you.

If established law firm, no worry. They know what they are doing.

Resale? More steps you need you take, you need indicate IRAS you are owner occupying, then pay the owner occupying tax. IRAS will compute the fail amount for buyer and seller as per pro rated for both parties. I remember take quite a while to settle down, and reimburse amount came to me.
1993newbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #6

Thank you Rizhal and newbie

Seems like this is a common problem
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.