Moi Simpur s$27k Renovation Journey

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice house! Keep the pictures coming ;)

Oh I forgot, actually Day 7 I arranged delivery of the sound system (cos I wanted to take the included speaker cables for the surrounds and give it to them to pull through the false ceiling.

The speaker box a lot larger than I expected!!

TT-010b.jpg

Left the speaker wall mounts and the cables on the table for the contractor / ID ...

TT-010c.jpg

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 12: Paid a visit and pleasantly surprised that less than two weeks and already lots of the electrical work and the false ceilings already completed!

Frankly I don't like the "box" that they cut out for the air con ... but I guess bopian. Got lighting wiring for dining table area (gonna put light only) and a fan in the living area on the ceiling.

If you see the back wall, can see two wires hanging down for the speakers. The ones that came with the sound system weren't long enough and I had to ask the electrician to go and buy ... I dunno how much he gonna charge me lol. Gonna mount the surrounds at ceiling height, which is not ideal but I dun think it will look nice to have it at ear height.

TT-011.jpg

This entire wall gonna have TV console on the left, and cupboard/cabinet (with counter top for nespresso machine and keys, etc) on the right.

TT-012.jpg

Masterbedroom false ceiling. Problem is that the ceiling in this condo actually not that high (around 2.65m), so after drop down the false ceiling then not much clearance left for ceiling fan ...

TT-013.jpg

toughnut

Reaction score
Wow, thought you bought yours long ago haha. Congrats Deo.

I done mine last year Dec and lesson learnt is make sure you covered all electrical related cost as I found out later it's quite a big sum. Initially planned for 30k budget but end up 40k total, mostly due to electrical work.

Mine is much older unit but bigger, 16 years old so quite a lot of reno work to be done. 101sqm, no balcony.

Living room & dining room
- complete redesign & install new minimalist feature wall/tv cabinet
- new false ceiling

Kitchen
- removed all cabinets and appliances
- new cabinets and false ceiling
- full length Quartz kitchen top
- installation of kitchen fittings and appliances

Master room & toilet
- removed several features but maintain full height cabinets
- hack and redo toilet
- waterproofing and tiling till near ceiling
- shower cubicle with tempered glass
- new cabinet with Quartz top
- full length mirror
- installation of toilet fittings

Guest room & toilet
- remove all features but maintain full height cabinets
- hack and redo toilet
- waterproofing and tiling till near ceiling
- shower cubicle with tempered glass
- installation of toilet fittings

Common room
- removal all features
- new full height cabinet

Maid room, yard & yard toilet
- not much except removal of older/broken cabinets

Misc
- painting for whole unit
- polishing all marble surfaces
- repair and varnish parquet flooring
- rewiring of all light points at living room
- bunch of new power points all over the place
- running of conceal fiber optic point to server cabinet/store room
- replace all lighting with LED (cost a lot!)
- installation of ceiling fan

Renovation work completed in 1 month per request although some misc fixing required later. Overall very content with the work and quality of workmanship except for the soft closing mechanism which initially told me is made-in-China-Blum but apparently much worst.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Day 26 ... not sure why the ID paint the walls before doing the carpentry or the lights :s11: but anyway here it is ...

Some shade of grey for the living room and dining room:

TT-014.jpg

TT-015.jpg

Masterbedroom ... I don't know what colour this is. I could have sworn it looks different from the book when I chose the paint colour at ID place. But Ok kua lol, can't imagine final product how it looks like.

TT-016.jpg

The corridor is a lighter shade of grey. We're a bit undecided about the DB box door ... should we leave it as is (white/offwhite) or ask the ID to also make it the same colour? Not sure whether can paint over laminate though.

TT-017.jpg

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do false ceiling . feature wall and console, hack & redo kitchen and 2 toilets.
redo 1 x bedroom wardrobe.

aircon
furniture
wc
shower systems
basins x 3
taps and accersories
tv
bed
lights
electric no included hor ...
fire rated door and room door also not counted yet.

think you must have given your atas address to the id company and they chop carrot :o

kyteo79

Reaction score
think you must have given your atas address to the id company and they chop carrot :o

apparently one of the best deals ..
but decided to go for a cheaper option for 40k

not yet fork out 1 cent yet ...

will add

1k for 2 glass toilet doors
1 k for wall hung toilet wc ..

Last edited:

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

will add

your toilet must be very nice...please share when you have id designs/photo

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

will add

Do take note of the disadvantage of wall hung WC (other than more expensive).

I have been using wall hung WCs for the past 10 years, looks nice and save space. Problem is one of the water pump failed and I have to demolish the entire section of the area (wall + solid top) and to perform a water seal test after fixing it up.

In the end, I decided to convert my wall hung to floor mounted after the water seal test.

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I have been using wall hung WCs for the past 10 years, looks nice and save space. Problem is one of the water pump failed and I have to demolish the entire section of the area (wall + solid top) and to perform a water seal test after fixing it up.

In the end, I decided to convert my wall hung to floor mounted after the water seal test.

oh no...is there any way to ensure wall hung can last longer? i am going to work on an 8 year old condo with wall hung toilet bowl, preferring to remain as wall hung if possible.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh no...is there any way to ensure wall hung can last longer? i am going to work on an 8 year old condo with wall hung toilet bowl, preferring to remain as wall hung if possible.

It's really a matter of luck before the pump fails. I can DIY replacing the pump on a floor mounted WC but not for wall hung.

Even the best pumps will fail at some point in time.

kyteo79

Reaction score

Haiz ...

Sometimes have to pleased the CCO

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haiz ...

Sometimes have to pleased the CCO

:s13:, as a compromise you can install a wall hung in 1 bathroom and floor mounted in the other.

I suggest wall hung in common bathroom and floor mounted in bedroom.

Nice to look at when visitors come but practical when you use it daily in bedroom.

kyteo79

Reaction score
:s13:, as a compromise you can install a wall hung in 1 bathroom and floor mounted in the other.

I suggest wall hung in common bathroom and floor mounted in bedroom.

Nice to look at when visitors come but practical when you use it daily in bedroom.

I am doing the other way around ...

hehe ...

Nice to learn from your views.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.