HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on HDB inheritance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #1

Need advice on HDB inheritance

My parents bought an HDB decades ago under Joint Tenancy agreement. Few years back my father passed away and my mum became the sole owner of the flat. My maternal half-blood brother tried to sweet talk her to put him as a co-owner (unsure what's the status right now). So right now if my mum have any mishap(touch wood), will my half-blood brother and I each get 50% of the flat?

Both of us are under age 35 and none of us own any HDB/private property. I am staying with my mum while he is renting flat outside. My mum still have a few years of outstanding loan.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Master Member

My parents bought an HDB decades ago under Joint Tenancy agreement. Few years back my father passed away and my mum became the sole owner of the flat. My maternal half-blood brother tried to sweet talk her to put him as a co-owner (unsure what's the status right now). So right now if my mum have any mishap(touch wood), will my half-blood brother and I each get 50% of the flat?

Both of us are under age 35 and none of us own any HDB/private property. I am staying with my mum while he is renting flat outside. My mum still have a few years of outstanding loan.
Are you the co-owner with your mom for this flat?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #3

Are you the co-owner with your mom for this flat?
Nope. Right now, the flat is under my mum's name
Old 11-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #4

Whose half is it, your dad or mom, and what's your mom's stance?

Better to seek legal advice because hdb most likely isn't going to care, and most of us here aren't capable of advising you on legal issues

Can google free legal clinics and call and ask if they willing to entertain your case and just make an appointment

Also can ask your mom to draft a will, but ultimately I feel you should speak to your mom if you're concerned about this matter
kiatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

Agreed with Kiatme post. Find legal advices and get your mum to draft a Will and maybe at the same time, appointment either yourself or anyone to handle her estate once she passed on (touch wood).

Mind checking; your half maternal brother is from your dad or mum side?
Endless09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

Maternal half blood brother?

Your mother had another son from a previous marriage?

And he wants to get a share of the family asset, the HDB flat?

Even your name is not added to the property as a co-owner, and he wants his in.
Papermate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

Mom side. Will definitely seek legal advice if things were about to go bad. She's the traditional type that thinks will is a taboo subject.

Whose half is it, your dad or mom, and what's your mom's stance?

Better to seek legal advice because hdb most likely isn't going to care, and most of us here aren't capable of advising you on legal issues

Can google free legal clinics and call and ask if they willing to entertain your case and just make an appointment

Also can ask your mom to draft a will, but ultimately I feel you should speak to your mom if you're concerned about this matter
Old 11-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

My name is not added because that would eliminate me as a first time bto buyer.

Maternal half blood brother?

Your mother had another son from a previous marriage?

And he wants to get a share of the family asset, the HDB flat?

Even your name is not added to the property as a co-owner, and he wants his in.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

My name is not added because that would eliminate me as a first time bto buyer.
Do you intend to get married and apply for a BTO with your partner in the near future? Having your name in it does not make you lose your chance as a first time BTO buyer, though you would still need to remove your name if you ever apply for a BTO.

You are on the losing end though, since your half brother knows how to play the game, and has more to gain if he wins.
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #10

if only ur mom name than it will share

if with co- name than it will be the next who live own 100%, u get 0%
member1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:45 PM   #11

Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that once my name is in it I would disqualified as first time buyer.

We have plans to apply for btc and get married but not in the near future though.

Do you intend to get married and apply for a BTO with your partner in the near future? Having your name in it does not make you lose your chance as a first time BTO buyer, though you would still need to remove your name if you ever apply for a BTO.

You are on the losing end though, since your half brother knows how to play the game, and has more to gain if he wins.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

The flat will share among me and my half brother even though the flat initially belongs to both of my parents?

if only ur mom name than it will share

if with co- name than it will be the next who live own 100%, u get 0%
Old 11-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #13

The flat will share among me and my half brother even though the flat initially belongs to both of my parents?

1) you disallowed your name with your mum name in the flat ? because you wana buy a BTO ? So after buy your BTO you will bring your mum to the new BTO house and stay together?

2) Your maternal half brother (assume non blood related? non legal ?) in the sense once your mum gone he would have ownership of the house since your name is not as owner.

3) Even there is a will, you will not own anything since he is then the sole owner after your mum pass on.
kyteo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #14

1) she thought that by having my name as co-owner will disqualified me as a first time buyer which is why my name wasn't added into it.

2) we are somehow related. Same mum different father.

1) you disallowed your name with your mum name in the flat ? because you wana buy a BTO ? So after buy your BTO you will bring your mum to the new BTO house and stay together?

2) Your maternal half brother (assume non blood related? non legal ?) in the sense once your mum gone he would have ownership of the house since your name is not as owner.

3) Even there is a will, you will not own anything since he is then the sole owner after your mum pass on.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #15
Supremacy Member

1) she thought that by having my name as co-owner will disqualified me as a first time buyer which is why my name wasn't added into it.

2) we are somehow related. Same mum different father.

Do refer to HDB website on the meaning of First-Timer;

You will be considered a first-timer applicant if you have not received any housing subsidy from HDB.
> First-Timer Applicants for more info and details.

Bookmarked for future reference & further reading.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.