HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Noise beside the expressway. How bad is it?

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #166

Talking about avoiding expressway, there is a mad rush to secure a flat in May 2018 BTO Kim Keat Beacon.
It is bad for mental health to stay near expressway. The constant noise from traffic make it hard for your brain to rest. It seem like your mind is always 'working' 24/7. People who stay near expressway usually have weak mental state of mind. Damn jialat one.
Esirious0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 02:09 AM   #167

If you are used to it, then it will no longer be an issue
feigningfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #168
Master Member

It would be noisy and dusty ba. My friend stayed beside expressway and once her overseas friend stayed with her commented that v noisy like sleeping on the roadside. wahaha

I dun stay beside expressway but beside the main road. Very dusty. At nite hv to close windows to sleep if not v noisy. Day time is fine.
dleodleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #169
Arch-Supremacy Member

The most scientific reply I've seen yet... On this topic. Applause.

sure noisy. one reason is because of sound refraction.

air on the road is always hotter than air in the sky. the hotter air will mean that the molecules will move vibrate faster and hence the sound will transmit faster. while in cooler air the sound moves slower.

this will cause a phenomenon where the sound curve upwards as the sound nearer the road moves faster while the sound higher up moves slower.

in addition, sound travel in the direction of the wind. so if your hse is high up and is windy, noise naturally travels into your hse.

however, if the road is cold. like when raining or early in the morning, then sound doesnt goes upwards.
Shingoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #170
Arch-Supremacy Member

Try standing on the corridors of the flats facing the expressway and feel for yourself.

I arranged to view one that faced the expressway during dinner time. I went there earlier and then cancelled the appointment before the agent arrived
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #171

Which expressway?
CTE is the worst

Try standing on the corridors of the flats facing the expressway and feel for yourself.

I arranged to view one that faced the expressway during dinner time. I went there earlier and then cancelled the appointment before the agent arrived
[Member#112 - EDMW Hainanese Club]->a party animal,a regular gymmer,a IT savvy, a dream catcher
kimurayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #172

Which expressway?
CTE is the worst
Unit facing any expressway with West Sun=cannot sell good price and hard to rent.

There is a reason why it is cheap!
bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #173
Arch-Supremacy Member

No doubt closing all the house windows will help reducing the dust and noise level, but it will be quite suffocated without proper ventilation. Therefore, residents have to always switch on aircon and that will surely contribute to high electricity bill.
Quite miserable having to live in a house with windows and doors perpetually closed.
Think it's a personal thingy? I don't face a highway but I still prefer to close all my windows and turn on AC or fan (even on weekends).

The offices which I've worked for the past 20 years are all similar and it's common for people to stay 12 hours in office these days.

If I want outdoor, I'll just hit the tracks or parks for a nice walk or jog.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #174
Banned

It is bad for mental health to stay near expressway. The constant noise from traffic make it hard for your brain to rest. It seem like your mind is always 'working' 24/7. People who stay near expressway usually have weak mental state of mind. Damn jialat one.
QFT. nothing is more impt than health

Good ruck to those staying there.
jerichoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #175

You close all the windows in your flat and on aircon, your pub bill must be quite high.
I prefer to let fresh air to come into my flat.

Think it's a personal thingy? I don't face a highway but I still prefer to close all my windows and turn on AC or fan (even on weekends).

The offices which I've worked for the past 20 years are all similar and it's common for people to stay 12 hours in office these days.

If I want outdoor, I'll just hit the tracks or parks for a nice walk or jog.
[Member#112 - EDMW Hainanese Club]->a party animal,a regular gymmer,a IT savvy, a dream catcher
Old 09-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #176

Tenteram Peak located at the intersection of two busy expressways

QFT. nothing is more impt than health

Good ruck to those staying there.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #177
Arch-Supremacy Member

You close all the windows in your flat and on aircon, your pub bill must be quite high.
I prefer to let fresh air to come into my flat.
Well, I don't shut the bathroom windows tight so there's still air from the outside.

Having worked overseas and lived in the countryside, I think Singapore's air quality is far from fresh. I can't really point a finger to it but it just feels 'heavy'.

My bills are actually below national average maybe because I'm in office most of the time.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #178
Arch-Supremacy Member

Which expressway?
CTE is the worst
Any expressway will be about the same. Noisy and dusty. Even on main road, there is noise and dust and dust and particles will be worse than noise for me.
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #179

Well, I don't shut the bathroom windows tight so there's still air from the outside.

Having worked overseas and lived in the countryside, I think Singapore's air quality is far from fresh. I can't really point a finger to it but it just feels 'heavy'.

My bills are actually below national average maybe because I'm in office most of the time.
Countryside air not necessarily better, especially if its a 3rd world country, a lot of ppl anyhow burn their trash outdoors and many use charcoal or even wood for cooking.

Singapore's air is considered good for a city, the air is really only terrible if you are near jurong island (west) or pasir gudang (northeast).
d5dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #180

Any expressway will be about the same. Noisy and dusty. Even on main road, there is noise and dust and dust and particles will be worse than noise for me.
Ya all expressways are noisy, even main rds are terrible... but singapore is so densely populated, hard to escape noise polution unless you stay in some ulu landed enclave that requires you to drive all the time.
d5dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.