HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

For the old condo Orchid Park at Yishun, what's the chance of en-bloc if you buy now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

who says.. they got talks of en-bloc already..

"they" refers to the residence,developer or hear-say.

Orchid Park is almost 20 years old. The value will start to dip steeply once you hit 25 years old for leasehold property. The top up charges would be so costly that there is absolutely no impetus for the developer to build or to make an offer to the residents for en-bloc.

I hope you have yet to sign the OTP. Consider other options.
Old 29-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #17
Supremacy Member

"they" refers to the residence,developer or hear-say.

Orchid Park is almost 20 years old. The value will start to dip steeply once you hit 25 years old for leasehold property. The top up charges would be so costly that there is absolutely no impetus for the developer to build or to make an offer to the residents for en-bloc.

I hope you have yet to sign the OTP. Consider other options.
thank you for your input.. very grateful.. luckily i havent OTP yet..
Old 29-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #18

thank you for your input.. very grateful.. luckily i havent OTP yet..
Perhaps you shouldn't rule out OP yet, as you seem to have done your homework and legwork. Observations offered here are generic but you have done recent and targeted research into it. If the price is good, and the estate is attractive to you, why not? What are your alternatives?

Apparently, OP has a trend of renting out rooms for about $1k. Maybe some owners do not like this in their neighborhood, but could be ideal for you.
valkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Perhaps you shouldn't rule out OP yet, as you seem to have done your homework and legwork. Observations offered here are generic but you have done recent and targeted research into it. If the price is good, and the estate is attractive to you, why not? What are your alternatives?

Apparently, OP has a trend of renting out rooms for about $1k. Maybe some owners do not like this in their neighborhood, but could be ideal for you.
well, left hand short term interest right hand long term..
now get high rental is ok.. but i dont think i could afford topping up a large chunk of cash in when the house reaches certain age..

no much choice.. sometimes i think i am on the route to go another country and wait and dream the market could crash..
Old 29-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #20

well, left hand short term interest right hand long term..
now get high rental is ok.. but i dont think i could afford topping up a large chunk of cash in when the house reaches certain age..

no much choice.. sometimes i think i am on the route to go another country and wait and dream the market could crash..
Top up charges are only for enbloc developer who wants to redevelop the estate and launch a new condo with a fresh 99-year LH.

If the condo is not enbloc'd, you just have to pay maintenance and sinking funds regularly. If the MC is good, sinking funds accumulated slowly through the years should take care of important repairs and replacements.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Supremacy Member

Top up charges are only for enbloc developer who wants to redevelop the estate and launch a new condo with a fresh 99-year LH.

If the condo is not enbloc'd, you just have to pay maintenance and sinking funds regularly. If the MC is good, sinking funds accumulated slowly through the years should take care of important repairs and replacements.
thank you for your valuable advices..
anyway.. in summary..
no more en-bloc.. but extremely difficult to re-sell after few years due to age.. probably i will just kill it cos jod also entered deeper waters.. dont want to get into that kind of inflexibility..
Old 22-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #22

impossible to en bloc....economy is so bad now...furthermore its leasehold 99, developer will need to top up a considerable amount to extend it or make it freehold..yishun sommeore...if its grange road (near Orchard) still possible but still not in todays weak economic situation..
marnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #23

impossible to en bloc....economy is so bad now...furthermore its leasehold 99, developer will need to top up a considerable amount to extend it or make it freehold..yishun sommeore...if its grange road (near Orchard) still possible but still not in todays weak economic situation..
top up to make it freehold??? Are you sure this is possible???

Old 24-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #24

top up to make it freehold??? Are you sure this is possible???

Yeah I read it on e newspapers b4 but its extremely exp to do so..which some developers might not think its worth the while unless its very good locations...Grange road has a few 99 year lease..lets see if they will ever go enbloc & turn freehold in future cycles..def not anytime soon..hee

If u know for pple working for developers, u can try asking them?
marnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #25

enblk is pratically impossible for this orchid park.

to be enblk, you need to make sure the plot ratio allow them to build twice higher or mre than twice the number of existing units.

Bear in mind that it is near to the selatar and sembawang airbase. unless this 2 airbase move to ubin or tekong, there is no way the URA going to increase the plot ratio for this condo.

good example is LKY house. the surrounding house cannot build high to oversee his house unless he moved to a penthouse.
bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #26

going enbloc already
BennyMao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #27

Not in this current market condition esp leasehold @ yishun not exactly prime location.
ieast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 02:50 PM   #28

Very hard to imagine that an en bloc can happen in Yishun anytime soon.
sencha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #29

Chance is zero.
AlohaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #30

i think within the next 5 years almost no chance of enbloc (off chance for you can never rule anything out)

As for capital appreciation. you never know, if the market recovers, it'll be too slow for you to react.
As for capital depreciation, there's always the chance you get stuck with this place, and the final en-bloc price is subpar.

Bottomline is you never know what the future brings. Yishun isn't that popular, but prices for northpoint is fairly high compared to other areas in the north for example, albeit its a MD.

On a rational side,
1. i don't think prices can go down much more, unless a major crisis strikes.
2. Prices will not shoot up like before either.
3. If you have calculated a finances and you definitely need a place to stay, otherwise you'll be bleeding through rent, just get what you like, it seems you have been conservative on your budget estimation which i think is wise.
4. This is Singapore as with any other cities. To have a roof over your head is better than no roof. Usually right after CM is the coolest market, sometimes right after CM is not a bad time to buy
5. There will always be more lucrative developments with more potential, but if you're budget tight you're budget tight. The alternative is to wait until you have more budget, but how long? And how will the market move? Sometimes patience reaps, other times, patience bleeds and you miss the boat. Unless this is your second property and you're banking on investment/en-bloc gains, treat it as a home and not an investment, then can just spend enough time in the market instead of timing the market.

Last edited by coolstrawberry; 24-04-2019 at 01:04 PM..
coolstrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.