Open kitchen with access to tv in living room?

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Hi guys, was wondering if there’s anyway possible to have an open concept kitchen that will give you full view of your tv in the living room?

My SO spent quite a number of hours in the kitchen and when I helped out, I would like to have unfettered access to the tv, you know when Soccer matches are going on.

But when I look at the layouts of hdb floor plan, it looks like the only way is to install a second tv.

Anyone managed to successfully do this with 1 tv? Any ideas for design/hacking to achieve this?

Sakagamii

Master Member
Reaction score
u need to show ur actual floorplan for people to offer any suggestions

1a2a3a

Reaction score
Haven’t bought a house haha! I’m just using reference from the standard hdb layout and wandering if it’s actually possible?

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haven’t bought a house haha! I’m just using reference from the standard hdb layout and wandering if it’s actually possible?

Why are you even worrying about this when you do not even know which house you will be getting.

Logic tells you that as long there is line of sight between the kitchen and where/how you place the TV, you are good.

There is no standard HDB layout, if you really try to find some of the floor plans and have a look.

Sakagamii

Master Member
Reaction score
diff hse diff layout. when u gonna buy liao jus beo the layout and see for urself lor

dnsfpl

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
depends on layout

for sure you need a big screen (>60") with external speakers in the kitchen

koganei123

Master Member
Reaction score
if cook alot, i think open kitchen will make the whole place oily like ****

unless everything only steam

Regretus

Reaction score
It is possible but you will have to accept the short comings.
I have an open kitchen in a 4 rm BTO, i can see part of the living room from the kitchen counter.

For my BTO, there are datapoints on both sides of the living room so can place a smart TV and connected gadgets on either side, but the more logical position for the sofa is the wall facing the kitchen as it is a longer wall.

If sofa is placed on the short wall, you will be limited in your sofa sizes you can use and your TV has to be very aligned towards the living windows to be somewhat centered for the people on the sofa to watch comfortably.

You will need an extendable TV rack to pull the TV out and angle it so that you can watch from the Kitchen, like the others mentioned, a larger TV size like a 60" would be more suitable as you will be viewing from quite a distance. Your cable management has to be properly too as extending the rack that far will need enough cable length to compensate.

if your shelter is the type that is in the living room, this set up might not be great as the sofa eats into the living access, making a narrow passageway.

If your shelter is in the kitchen, then the issue isn't that great unless the shelter is blocking your ability to hack down the kitchen wall facing the living room.

Not sure if it would work on a 3 rm BTO though, I didn't look at the layouts for those that closely.

kiatme

Reaction score
the question itself is weird and impractical.
dont think you will be of much help in the kitchen if your focus is on the tv.
most matches are like late nights, why would you even be in the kitchen at that time ? Just get an ipad and watch the matches on the ipad when you are in the kitchen.

some silly answers to your question:
- mount your TV on the ceiling, that way you can have unblocked view and access to the TV
- clever position of mirrors like milo van suggested
- can try asking the tech / tv forums, see if theres any technology or device that can sync or display your TV show to another, so you can just put a TV in the kitchen and see what you see @ the tv in your living room
- move your TV from your living room to your kitchen

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know of extendable TV racks.

I think those might be your only option.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.