HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Opinions on west facing...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #1

Opinions on west facing...

Hello

hi, previously I have only stayed at my parents place, super low floor so the sun and facing wasn't an issue. Then I bought my own place and it is north facing, with 1 bedroom facing the east.

We are now looking for a new place. There is a unit I like, but it is west facing, is it really that bad? I've not experienced it before so I don't have any reference to compare. It is a high floor(20), and almost exactly west facing with no other buildings to block.

Only the living room and 1 side of a common room faces the west.

The other option is east facing, but it is a lower floor(12) and it faces a low rise MSCP.

Can tahan?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

The room facing the west will be bright if there is opening
But it will be hot even worse through the night if is a wall
Best is your hall windows facing south
Slightly angle to the east
Then your hall will have some morning light and no direct afternoon sun
My bro bedroom wall facing the west
And its warm during the afternoon
And like an oven at night

This is my 5th house i live in
malaikai2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

My bro bedroom wall facing the west
And its warm during the afternoon
And like an oven at night
Will it be an issue if you don't need to be near it? or will it still radiate heat into the entire room?

When will the wall cool down?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #4
Great Supremacy Member

Will be a few hours probably until mn if not longer..heat will radiate out.. Aircon will work harder to maintain the set temp..

My MBR has one wall facing strictly morning sun only(gone after 1pm)..at night around 8 with the Aircon running for 1hr prior, still can feel that the wall is just abit warm when I put my hand to it..
rueyloon likes this.
Gixxerfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

Will be a few hours probably until mn if not longer..heat will radiate out.. Aircon will work harder to maintain the set temp..

My MBR has one wall facing strictly morning sun only(gone after 1pm)..at night around 8 with the Aircon running for 1hr prior, still can feel that the wall is just abit warm when I put my hand to it..
thanks, guess west facing is a no no then...
jq75 likes this.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Will it be an issue if you don't need to be near it? or will it still radiate heat into the entire room?

When will the wall cool down?
How large is your bedroom?
My bro house is those old generation type
Is much larrger than any new generation ones
Yes the room like an oven at night
If you have an air con then its fine
I been there felt it and relate it to you
Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #7

Bro morning sun is no where compares to sun heat at 1..2..3pm
Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #8

Low floor most not fully expose to the sun
So it should be much cooler
I know since i stay in low floor
Old 05-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #9

Like i said
Hall or room
Facing NE...more to east
is the best
I mean the windows
rueyloon likes this.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Great Supremacy Member

Bro morning sun is no where compares to sun heat at 1..2..3pm
That's my pt bro..Even with the morning sun and 5-7 hours later, i can still feel abit of warmth from that wall. Cant imagine how noon sun would be like.

Like i said
Hall or room
Facing NE...more to east
is the best
I mean the windows
My windows all facing NE...Deliberately went for this becos of NE facing and also partly becos of the layout of the flat.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm staying 12th floor. Living room, study room and 2 bedrooms full force west sun. MBR kena at an angle. It's only really glaring at certain periods of the year, not all year round. During such seasons, afternoon will be really hot... the window panes and walls... Evening touch the wall still warm. But by 8 to 9pm++ all cool down liao. Didn't feel especially hot. The humid/warm feel goes along with the seasons through the year. The real inconvenience is the glare during head-on seasons. Have to draw curtains. Then draw liao the house become not as naturally bright. That's for a year 2000 estate.

My MIL home is those typical 30+yrs old rectangular block. Top floor corner unit. Can imagine... front, rear, side, top all will kena. Hers was noticeably warmer well into the evening/night.

My old home was also such 30+yrs old block. 3rd floor. Rear kena morning sun, front west sun only kena the corridor and bottom of the wall. Seems better than my current home. But back then, during hot season, I sleep with 2 fans - one blowing upper body, one blowing lower body. Still perspire. I never had that at my current home.

Why the difference? Sometimes I wonder if the different generation of flats might be using concrete with different properties?

Last edited by weng; 06-09-2018 at 12:52 AM..
weng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #12

Hi guys. Can explain why west isn’t good? I thought sun rise in the east, hence its not really recommended cos of the sun heat. West because its sunset.

Ultimately, i think its own preference right? Like facing east cos you get to dry your clothes faster? Haha
muzakkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
Great Supremacy Member

Noon sun is somehow hotter and also if only morning sun, by the time u reach home from work, would have cool down significantly..

But if noon or sunset sun, the cooling just started when you reach home which means walls giving out heat..

If kena sunset, doesn't mean u only get sunset.. You will also get noon sun..

Last edited by Gixxerfied; 06-09-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Old 06-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #14

I think wind and height of your unit are also important factors. My friend's unit (on 7th floor) has MBR, common BR, and service yard (old HDB style) all facing West sun. The service yard has its windows open and it is never warm because of the wind. The rooms are sometimes warm if the windows were not open. With wind, the rooms cool really fast. Facing West sun has its own advantages. The rooms are always very bright whereas the living room (facing East) is dark in bright afternoon. They have to switch on lights to do work.
SuperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

Are your current flat BTO?
Coz the layout is in such a way the living room, master bedroom and another small bedroom are facing the same direction.
Mine is a 3rm resale, it’s facing 290 degree NW direction. Thank goodness there is a corridor to add some buffer for the west sun from shining into my living room. During afternoon from 3pm, I can see sun shining the whole corridor. Around 4pm - 5pm, the sun shines onto half of my exterior wall at my living room and common bedroom. Hence, usually I pull down blind before going to work.
My windows also installed with UV filter

I'm staying 12th floor. Living room, study room and 2 bedrooms full force west sun. MBR kena at an angle. It's only really glaring at certain periods of the year, not all year round. During such seasons, afternoon will be really hot... the window panes and walls... Evening touch the wall still warm. But by 8 to 9pm++ all cool down liao. Didn't feel especially hot. The humid/warm feel goes along with the seasons through the year. The real inconvenience is the glare during head-on seasons. Have to draw curtains. Then draw liao the house become not as naturally bright. That's for a year 2000 estate.

My MIL home is those typical 30+yrs old rectangular block. Top floor corner unit. Can imagine... front, rear, side, top all will kena. Hers was noticeably warmer well into the evening/night.

My old home was also such 30+yrs old block. 3rd floor. Rear kena morning sun, front west sun only kena the corridor and bottom of the wall. Seems better than my current home. But back then, during hot season, I sleep with 2 fans - one blowing upper body, one blowing lower body. Still perspire. I never had that at my current home.

Why the difference? Sometimes I wonder if the different generation of flats might be using concrete with different properties?
[Member#112 - EDMW Hainanese Club]->a party animal,a regular gymmer,a IT savvy, a dream catcher
kimurayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.