HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Owner vs Occupier in BTO

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #16

I have bought a BTO under single scheme.
I waiting for key in 2 years time.
Now i decided to marry a foreigner and will have a child.
Is it compulsory to include them as occupier?
Can I choose not to? Or dont update my marital status. What will happen?
marrying a foreigner and getting a property for kids with the foreign spouse, and what if the foreigner is divorced with kids. A lot of authorities to check out leh, not so simple. You cannot just kick them out on the streets if things don't work out also.
8zaoyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #17
High Supremacy Member

So is the hdb going check upon collection of the key? Because i ask hdb officer say must add them as occupier.
Let me bring you to another thread some years back:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...3580-3.html#43

I am sorry to say, but do not trust every HDB Officer on that. It may also be the way you ask the question that leads to a misunderstanding and therefore a wrong advice.
Pokémon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #18
High Supremacy Member

Occupier got 2 types - essential occupier and authorised occupier. 1st one must be in but second can keep quiet. Like my case, my child not included as occupier.
No, like I said, no need for TS' case. It must be in for some people's case, because they applied under the Public/Priority Schemes requiring them to form a family nucleus which those not listed as owners (eg. children) will be listed as essential occupiers.

As mentioned right from the beginning, Essential Occupier is a family member who is required to be listed in the Application Form in order to form a family nucleus and qualify under an eligibility scheme to purchase a flat.

If you can really fully understand this statement, then you can see that the addition of a new Essential Occupier does not serve any other purpose if you already own a flat. TS qualified and bought the flat under the Single Scheme, and therefore, it is totally unnecessary to add Essential Occupiers into the picture to complicate matters.

I have not heard much of authorised occupier, but they refer to the same - Essential Occupier = Authorised Occupier = Occupier.
Old 13-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #19
Master Member

I have bought a BTO under single scheme.
I waiting for key in 2 years time.
Now i decided to marry a foreigner and will have a child.
Is it compulsory to include them as occupier?
Can I choose not to? Or dont update my marital status. What will happen?

So is the hdb going check upon collection of the key? Because i ask hdb officer say must add them as occupier.
A question to the thread-starter,

is yourself or spouse hiding something which HDB should not know?

You had given a strong impression that you do not want to add in your foreigner spouse + child (I assume spore citizen maybe? ) , why is this so?

Other than the fact your spouse may have a pte property in their own country (which you may think your BTO may be rejected) , I dont see any compelling reason for u not to add them as occupier.

There are many facets to your questions (different scenarios playing in my mind ) .

Why don't you tell us the reason and we can properly advise you.

Basically , I find it weird u don't trust HDB words, but put strong faith with strangers on forum?

I deal with many HDB sales/purchase involving foreigner spouse before.
A point to note, no matter at what stage you gotten married ( before apply BTO, after apply bto, before get keys to BTO, after get keys to bto), as long at the point of time you are married (when selling the unit), your spouse (doesn't matter he/she is occupier or not in the flat), will have to give written consent on the sale of the flat.

Woman's charter is pretty strong in spore, and a wife can still get pretty much get something out of the flat (even though she isn't an occupier, but still a spouse).

you can write here, or send me a pm msg.

-vinz
vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

No, like I said, no need for TS' case. It must be in for some people's case, because they applied under the Public/Priority Schemes requiring them to form a family nucleus which those not listed as owners (eg. children) will be listed as essential occupiers.

As mentioned right from the beginning, Essential Occupier is a family member who is required to be listed in the Application Form in order to form a family nucleus and qualify under an eligibility scheme to purchase a flat.

If you can really fully understand this statement, then you can see that the addition of a new Essential Occupier does not serve any other purpose if you already own a flat. TS qualified and bought the flat under the Single Scheme, and therefore, it is totally unnecessary to add Essential Occupiers into the picture to complicate matters.

I have not heard much of authorised occupier, but they refer to the same - Essential Occupier = Authorised Occupier = Occupier.
That's what I trying to tell TS. He has no need to have essential occupier nor any other occupier, known as authorised occupier, including his wife.

Earlier I stated that my relative (with the mother) was joint owner of a flat. Subsequently, he got married and the relative and his mother are given a new replacement flat (due to enbloc). Upon checking, HDB found out that he was married and insisted that the wife be included as occupier or else they have to give up the new replacement flat.

Getting compensation instead of the replacement flat for not wanting to include the wife was a big blow. I had to fight hard for his case not to include the wife as occupier and in the end managed to get the flat without the wife as occupier.

Last edited by henrylbh; 13-02-2020 at 10:44 PM..
henrylbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #21
High Supremacy Member

I do not think this is the correct question to ask. There is nothing to hide to start with. If essential occupier is not even necessary for TS' case, this question will be of no concern.

You had given a strong impression that you do not want to add in your foreigner spouse + child (I assume spore citizen maybe? ) , why is this so?

Other than the fact your spouse may have a pte property in their own country (which you may think your BTO may be rejected) , I dont see any compelling reason for u not to add them as occupier.
Even if the foreign spouse owns 10 private properties, it is not going to affect anything. To start with, and I am sounding like a broken recorder already, it is not necessary to add, so I do not see the need to give any reason.

If the future spouse already owns a private property, the more the name should not be added.

Basically , I find it weird u don't trust HDB words, but put strong faith with strangers on forum?
It is weird, but I can only say, probably 9 out of 10 HDB officers do not know it right on this subject matter... However, probably 9 out of 10 people do not know much about this either, and therefore could not put across their questions to the HDB officers correctly and it becomes a chicken question and a duck answer.
Old 14-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #22

There are many facets to your questions (different scenarios playing in my mind ) .

A point to note, no matter at what stage you gotten married ( before apply BTO, after apply bto, before get keys to BTO, after get keys to bto), as long at the point of time you are married (when selling the unit), your spouse (doesn't matter he/she is occupier or not in the flat), will have to give written consent on the sale of the flat.

Woman's charter is pretty strong in spore, and a wife can still get pretty much get something out of the flat (even though she isn't an occupier, but still a spouse).

-vinz

My main concern here is to have total control of selling or buying of a property.
What will happen to my property if we divorced within the MOP period? Property dissolved and split?
Vann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #23

-vinz
Don't worry Vinz,for the idiot Emperor Vann, nobody will build properties for him as and when commanded and divorced as many concubines as he wishes nowadays. It is still a HE world at workplace but a SHE world in the backroom.
8zaoyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #24

Don't worry Vinz,for the idiot Emperor Vann, nobody will build properties for him as and when commanded and divorced as many concubines as he wishes nowadays. It is still a HE world at workplace but a SHE world in the backroom.
This is one important factor to consider whether to get married before or after purchasing a property. Not about being to be an emperor.
Old 14-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

My main concern here is to have total control of selling or buying of a property.
What will happen to my property if we divorced within the MOP period? Property dissolved and split?
It is best you check with HDB on this, or even seek advice from a lawyer.

To me, men are always on the loosing end coming to a divorce. Although the flat may be under his name, but he would likely still have to split the share with the (ex) wife. The court will decide.

By the way, what makes you think that HDB will not know of your marital status?
Old 14-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #26
Master Member

precisely why i need to know your objective, so pls take note of this important point,

whether your foreigner spouse is an essential occupier or not, approval and acknowledgement from her is needed when u decide to sell the unit. (she must go to hdb branch office to sign some documents)

Of cos there is someone here who is so adamant that u don't need to add your foreigner spouse, and think that is the end of the story. That is why I ask u the main reason why u are asking those questions.
What will happen to my property if we divorced within the MOP period? Property dissolved and split
as u are able to own this unit under single scheme, u can retain the property and nothing will happen to it.

If spouse want a spilt of the property, she can still get something if its over 5yrs and its a matrimonial flat. Need to put everything clearly in divorce paper.

-vinz

Last edited by vinz; 14-02-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Old 14-02-2020, 08:28 PM   #27

It is best you check with HDB on this, or even seek advice from a lawyer.

To me, men are always on the loosing end coming to a divorce. Although the flat may be under his name, but he would likely still have to split the share with the (ex) wife. The court will decide.

By the way, what makes you think that HDB will not know of your marital status?
Because my intitial thought was being an occupier had little or nothing to do with matrimonial assets but i was wrong.
Hdb told me they will not know marital status unless they purposely check which is when there is selling or buying transaction.
Old 14-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #28

precisely why i need to know your objective, so pls take note of this important point,

whether your foreigner spouse is an essential occupier or not, approval and acknowledgement from her is needed when u decide to sell the unit. (she must go to hdb branch office to sign some documents)

Of cos there is someone here who is so adamant that u don't need to add your foreigner spouse, and think that is the end of the story. That is why I ask u the main reason why u are asking those questions.as u are able to own this unit under single scheme, u can retain the property and nothing will happen to it.

If spouse want a spilt of the property, she can still get something if its over 5yrs and its a matrimonial flat. Need to put everything clearly in divorce paper.

-vinz
From what i understand, any property u bought after marriage is consider matrimonial, even if its just your name. I need to double check again.
Old 14-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #29
Master Member

Even if u buy the hdb today as a sole owner, and get married two yrs later, the hdb will be considered your matrimonial flat (unless u can proof none of you stays there at all).

Thus before or after marriage, makes no diff.
Old 14-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #30

Even if u buy the hdb today as a sole owner, and get married two yrs later, the hdb will be considered your matrimonial flat (unless u can proof none of you stays there at all).

Thus before or after marriage, makes no diff.
If a prenupt agreement is drafted before marriage, then you are protected. But this agreement will not protect you things you bought after marriage.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.