For singles, buy resale or private condo better?

MsElliot

Reaction score
Hi, Im an agent but not sure if moderator will allow posting of my webpage here. Saw interesting question from TS and subsequently some of your comments. So like to contribute my input.

It is a well known fact that getting a loan at age 35 is far easier than getting a loan at age 45. You will also be able to get longer tenure period, allowing you to have more affordable monthly installments.

Lets also think abt Appreciation and Accumulation.
Imagine your property to be like a piggy bank savings. As you pay monthly installments to the bank, you can actually think of it as saving money aside. This is because of the simple fact that a property will appreciate and increase in value. (of course we also have to let the bank earn by paying interest on the loan instalment because we only used 25% of our equity to downpay for the private property).

When times were good, interest rates were high as we have witnessed 2-2.5%.
But now flexi rates can be as low as 1.3%. Now imagine the bank is lending you money and you pay them lesser interest!

Not forgetting the the power of Accumulation, we can achieve more over a shorter time span. For instance, try saving $500 per month and put it in a bank account. After 5 years, you will accumulate $500 x 12 mths x 5 years = $30,000.
Now if you have placed the $500 per month into a property that has high appreciation, after 5 years, your gain could be way more than $30,000.

hdbprogression.com

Clazav

Reaction score
Dual key more expensive right?

For most dual key there is a common foyer and perhaps an additional toilet/kitchenette, so you can consider it more expensive in this sense. Also, developer may charge a little higher for it. So you need to check the price. But I find dual key especially good for expanding family, or single with possibility of getting married in future and have kids.
I'm staying in a dual key now and the rental income I would say is good.

Okuhida

Reaction score
For most dual key there is a common foyer and perhaps an additional toilet/kitchenette, so you can consider it more expensive in this sense. Also, developer may charge a little higher for it. So you need to check the price. But I find dual key especially good for expanding family, or single with possibility of getting married in future and have kids.

Yes the rental income from the small studio more than make up for the difference in mortgage between a cheaper one bedder and dual-key two bedder for me.

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New projects seldom have dual key now.
Pokémon;127367770 said:
James, your info is wrong, so I am correcting it.

If you own a condo, and intend to buy an HDB, you are not subjected to ABSD at all.

This is because you cannot own any private property within 5 years of MOP after buying an HDB, and you can (must) sell the condo within 6 months after collecting keys to the HDB.
Wait? Why can't own both hdb and condo? So if you have condo, you can't own hdb and must sell condo before buying hdb?

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New projects seldom have dual key now.

Wait? Why can't own both hdb and condo? So if you have condo, you can't own hdb and must sell condo before buying hdb?

?

Property 101.

You can't buy a hdb when you own a condo. So if you want to buy the hdb, you need to dispose off your condo within 6 mths.

If you own a hdb, you can only buy a condo after the MOP period. If you buy the condo and keep the hdb it will be considered your second property and is subjected to ABSD.

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
?

Property 101.

You can't buy a hdb when you own a condo. So if you want to buy the hdb, you need to dispose off your condo within 6 mths.

If you own a hdb, you can only buy a condo after the MOP period. If you buy the condo and keep the hdb it will be considered your second property and is subjected to ABSD.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...proved-for-private-property-owners-to-buy-hdb

Well if your English is powerful, condo owner can consider write a powerful appeal letter to buy HDB.

I’m sure in this crisis, it is worth to do it? Absd for hdb is cheaper than buying another condo.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...proved-for-private-property-owners-to-buy-hdb

Well if your English is powerful, condo owner can consider write a powerful appeal letter to buy HDB.

I’m sure in this crisis, it is worth to do it? Absd for hdb is cheaper than buying another condo.

Minister's last sentence of an example is if you are alrdy selling off the condo due to financial and need a place to stay.

But if one wants to stay in condo and buy HDB to rent out, that is a no-no from HDB. I think most of the approvals are for those that are selling their condo and need a place to stay.

bolster

Master Member
Reaction score
Minister's last sentence of an example is if you are alrdy selling off the condo due to financial and need a place to stay.

But if one wants to stay in condo and buy HDB to rent out, that is a no-no from HDB. I think most of the approvals are for those that are selling their condo and need a place to stay.

Yes. Well based on the article, Some are still holding on to the private property? Isn’t it?

How many people really stay in condo and rent out hdb?

Clazav

Reaction score
I thought there are many ppl staying in condo and renting hdb? Or vice versa. Those families who have 2 properties in general.

Yes. Well based on the article, Some are still holding on to the private property? Isn’t it?

How many people really stay in condo and rent out hdb?

decibel.

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
?

Property 101.

So to own both hdb and condo, you have to first buy HDB then pay absd on the condo ?

Clazav

Reaction score
For now yes, but in the past, there is a period where there is no absd and that people can decouple. There should be a lot of people under this category.

So to own both hdb and condo, you have to first buy HDB then pay absd on the condo ?

falseflush

Reaction score
Guys, hope to get some advice. For a 32yo single looking to buy something for own stay, would it make sense to buy a resale condo now (assuming affordability is not an issue) or wait till 35 to buy a resale HDB?

Hot_Dog

Master Member
Reaction score
For singles doesn't matter la, YOLO, just get the lowest cost one:s12:.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, hope to get some advice. For a 32yo single looking to buy something for own stay, would it make sense to buy a resale condo now (assuming affordability is not an issue) or wait till 35 to buy a resale HDB?

It depends on your intention for own stay. Do you wish to enjoy staying on your own now, or not in a hurry?

If it is my case, if not in a hurry, but can afford, I would get a condo to rent it out. Of course, do your due diligence and not just buy any. If I wish to start staying on my own now, of course condo is the way to go.

You can always decide whether to keep the condo or buy a resale HDB again 3 years down the road.

Note: I am assuming you will not go the BTO path.

minamikaze

Reaction score
Yes the rental income from the small studio more than make up for the difference in mortgage between a cheaper one bedder and dual-key two bedder for me.

I'm also a fan of dual key here. The flexibility is great, saves on ABSD as you're getting 2 units in one, and the rental yield is also good.
The only issue is the smaller market of buyers, but with the good rental yield it's okay to wait till a buyer with the same objective/mindset comes along.

casper86

Master Member
Reaction score
I briefly considered this option when I was house hunting two years ago. To fully pay for a <$250k HDB after I turned 35yo and use the five years MOP to save for a deposit for a one bedroom condo. I gave up the idea after I learned of the 12% ABSD and frankly didn’t want to sacrifice the five years without swimming facility.

Instead I bought a two bedroom dual key which allows me to start collecting rental without the five years MOP. To be honest I worried about the rentability of the small studio initially as it is more like a hotel room with pantry than actual studio. But surprisingly I was able to rent it out with two offers within a week during this circuit breaker as the existing tenancy from the seller reaches an end this year. For context it covers about 75% of mortgage.

Just checked. Seems condo and ec only.

Last edited:

falseflush

Reaction score
It depends on your intention for own stay. Do you wish to enjoy staying on your own now, or not in a hurry?

If it is my case, if not in a hurry, but can afford, I would get a condo to rent it out. Of course, do your due diligence and not just buy any. If I wish to start staying on my own now, of course condo is the way to go.

You can always decide whether to keep the condo or buy a resale HDB again 3 years down the road.

Note: I am assuming you will not go the BTO path.

Yes, it's for own stay for now. Won't be going the BTO path.

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
single just buy resale 3rm or rent lifelong

Rent lifelong? I would not go with that.

You should know very well how things ended up in HK with property prices going up, and the rent would follow suit.

Who knows if SG could be walking towards that path as well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.